FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Skateboarding Background?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thirdcoast
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: @uSTIn

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya'll remember UGLY STIX? lol. ol school players and new school fools. Jake keeps you jumpin like kangaroos.
gorath112
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Grand Rapids

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think wakeskating would be very hard if you didnt know how to skateboard or if you had never done it before you wouldnt know how catch shuvs or just land square, I think landing is the most you get from skateboarding because you know how to place yourself on your board squarely
xboard32x
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Wisconsin

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont have to land "squarely" on a wakeskate you can land complete 90 degrees and ride it away on a wakeskate.
seven11dmd
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Northern VA

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i dont know how to skateboard at all...im pretty darn clumsy on one
Vance Collins

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Barousse wrote:

Do you have to skateboard in order to ride a wakeskate good? No. Are you a poser if you don't skateboard? You are probably a poser anyway, so it really doesn't matter. j/k Very Happy

Both are examples of me. Does that make me a poser? Laughing
thirdcoast
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so playa, the eye in the sky never lies.
kyle13
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Seminole Heights

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that skateboarding helped my wakeskating, but my friend who has never really skateboarded at all, is just as good (if not better) than me on a wakeskate. So I dont really think it matters.
Travis
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think skateboarding can help u quite a bit.. no u dont need to have skateboarded to wakeskate like many people have said, but its helped me on really my balance and ollies and well i cant do shuvits on a wakeskate yet but then again i havent tried but i can do them on my skateboard so.. ill see if it helps me with them
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
freerider4
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricsnow, I remember seeing it in a interveiw with thomas or one of the big guys on there or it was on there website not really sure.
freerider4
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Barousse, I remember the first time seeing animal chin when i was like 7 or 8 and every weekend I would go to the movie store with my mom and rent that along with the movie rad.
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, cole's comment is on this site. The interview also had tim and thomas, so maybe that's the one you're thinking of. Anyway...
alex
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i skateboarded for a little bit. i dont think it really helps at all.maybe with ollieing but i think shuvits and stuff are totally different. i think a wakeboarding background helps the most.that or kneeboarding.
gorath112
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Grand Rapids

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is was saying about "squarely" is just the fact you know how distribute your weight when you land, yeah and try landing with your shoulders perpendicular to the board and you'll know what i mean by "squarely"
Phibius
Ollie
Ollie

City: West Palm

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FREERIDER4, Rad may be the best movie ever created, i have it on Kazaa and i watch it atleast once a month. I have called the company that made the movie and tried to get a VHS copy of it but to no avail Mad
gripitandripit
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: The Couve'

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that skating helps, but i dont think its a necesity. It does help with landings and shuvs and stuff, ive skated for some time now, so it'd be weird for me to think about wakeskating w/ out the skateboard background. One thing that helps me a grip though, is skating with a truckless deck and a rope on the trampoline! its like the funnest thing ever, (other than actually wakeskating). It helps so much re-learning kickflips and shuvs, because i skate goofy and wakeskate regular. Idea (random smilies make me happy)
gripitandripit
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: The Couve'

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah i forgot to mention, I think the same people who say non-skater wakeskaters are posers are the same people who say that Grubb sucks because he rides more like a wakeboarder...both sayings are a load of crap! Ride how you want, make wkaeskating fun for you and go as big as you can...thats what its all about right? Nothing else should matter.
Kian
Ollie
Ollie

City: Singapore

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Spot on!.. Gullwing! that's the one.... and electricsnow, the ultra lights were from G&S..!! multi-coloured ones with the hollow shaft... haha... rat bones.. UGLY STIX.... those screw-on plastic rails?!?! hahahah.....and ahhhh... The Search for Animal Chin... Rubber Boys, the Bones Brigade and... H-Street!.. woa...man... good fun looking back like that.... you guys also suffering from any orthopedic problems with knees/ back and stuff?.. haha.. just kidding...

thirdcoast, gripitandripit, NO DOUBT!!!.. too bad we can't get no topless chicks in Singapore tho...

Actually, a buddy has an earthboard which was 36"... pretty close in length compared to the wakeskate, i suppose..... it had the concave, kicktail and all... not sure if it'll really help on the wakeskate, but timing wise, i think the longer boards ollie pretty similar... gonna try some kickflips on it.. hope it'll get me closer on the wakeskate... arrrggghhh!... I'm still stuck man Dave...
thirdcoast
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about surgeries, i've had four, acls in both knees and scopes in both knees. i'm ten months off my last acl repair and i'm skatin' again, it feels so good to be out there. I'll never strap on a wakeboard again.
papa smurf
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: MINNEAPOLIS

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i skate and it doesn't feel anything like wakeskating, cause you cant slide on wheels like you do on a wake skate. i like wake better cause it doesn't hurt when you crash
wakesk8r9610
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 14, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatin does help atleast me anyway. when i first started like a year and a half ago i couldnt skate really well then the next week i really got into skating and it helped alot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: