FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Wood Vs. composite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoubleDown05
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Florida Keys

PostPosted: May 25, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Wood Vs. composite Reply with quote

im doin this research paper on Wood Vs. Composite,
and in peoples opinion which is better

how ever i dont have much experince on composite

but any one who rides na Integ would no how they feel

so any one who has expeince with both, or just wants
to make a statement about one, please do so
HatzicScape112
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Abbotsford

PostPosted: May 25, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i rode a scape and then now i ride a catalyst...and the catalyst is better in the sense that it wont delam, its not painted so the paint wont chip, and its arguably more durable
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: St. Louis

PostPosted: May 25, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an armada and a cassette flat. One is composite and one is wooden. I usually take my friends out with the armada because it is definately more durable and i dont care about it as much. Composite skates also seem to cost more. I love my wooden skate the best. It floats good and has great pop. The down side to wood is that they can delam and chip ALOT easier. It seems alot harder to mess up my armada than my cassette flat deck. Go Wooden.
wakesk8r9610
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 25, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjr, im a tad surprised to hear ur cassette floats better than ur armada...most composites ive been on compared to wooden boards float much more
senorbueno
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 25, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if I would call the Armada and the Catalyst as composite, they are compression molded, two different types of construction.
dirtyohioriver22
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: cincy

PostPosted: May 25, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the armarda is a peice of shizzle, if your goin lf at least get the impulse or reed
ridehatzic
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Coquitlam

PostPosted: May 25, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyohioriver22, two of which I've heard delam and break easily. So I guess the armada would last longer but the reed and impulse would be better for about 2 weeks. It's really a lose lose situation.
dirtyohioriver22
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: cincy

PostPosted: May 25, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ridehatzic, ya true i heard the armada is very light to though
logan
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: May 25, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ridden wood but I like the feel of it enough to not really want to go composite. I love my Prodigal it's an awesome deck. It floats really well, and I dunno if you guys know what I mean here but it feels really firm and solid... Like When I'm riding it, it just feels like it's running the show if you catch my drift, on the scape it felt as if you were kinda goin with the flow of the water, like you could really feel it underneath you, on my Oak it just feels a lot more solid... I don't know if that makes sense but ya...

88skisupreme
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: ATX

PostPosted: May 26, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing is the shape. As long as its made of good solid materials the biggest difference in how a wakeskate rides and feels is the shape of the edges and the rocker.

I know this will probably start some big debate about how wood "feels" better or something like that. I ride both an integ and a wood concave and I can't feel any difference as far as what its made from. This might not be a fair comparison since the integrity is a lot better than most composite decks and has a really soild feel to it.

Research paper? isn't school out? did you buy some boards to research?
bjr
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: St. Louis

PostPosted: May 26, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armada is a piece of shizzle
donJonSwan
Ollie
Ollie

City: Laguna Hills

PostPosted: May 26, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '05 Karma and a Cassette.

Right now I really like how stable my Karma feels compared to the Cassette, I think the deep molds on the composite allow for a more stable ride for newbs like myself.

Then again I could throw my fins on the Cassette and see how that helps too...

So nevermind, ignore me, I've got no idea what the hell I'm talking about.
mario c.

PostPosted: May 26, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donJonSwan, i have a karma, and i think it is squirrely as hell. it sits real high on the water. ride your cassette for a week, then go back to the karma. you will see what i mean.
classik5onit
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Arnold

PostPosted: May 26, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive always rode a wood flat with rounded rails. i rode my first composite the other day (integ with stock unshaped/unrounded rails). i noticed alot of difference when the board was on edge of course. i could cut alot harder on the integ due to the sharp rails. but i feel like the wood rides alot smoother in the water and sits deeper.

i didnt ride the integ long enough to really dial it in. i like the concave and the footpockets on it though. just my opinion of riding my first composite.

jboss
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Chalmette

PostPosted: May 26, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Integ compared to my Cassette. Granted it's a four year old board, I noticed a huge difference in my riding. I feel more natural riding an Integrity, it feels kinda like a skateboard. I really like the progressive concave it has as opposed to most others with a more three-stage, skateboard concave. I also noticed an up in my consistency since the switch, I don't know what it is about it but I'm definately more consistent.
HatzicScape112
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Abbotsford

PostPosted: May 26, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i noticed i was instantly more consistent as soon as i switched from my wood flat to my catalyst...it feels amazing
Ollie
Ollie

City: sthlm

PostPosted: May 28, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id say that the material doesnt matter. Is all about the shape, weight and stiffnes. And you can change all of them on both wood and composite skates. I just got a composite cuz am tierd of reparing delaminated wood.

(Ive tried about 5 differsnt wood boards, and 3 differsnt composite boards. now I ride GB "Ryan" -06.)
88skisupreme
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: ATX

PostPosted: May 28, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="classik5onit"]ive always rode a wood flat with rounded rails. i rode my first composite the other day (integ with stock unshaped/unrounded rails). i noticed alot of difference when the board was on edge of course. i could cut alot harder on the integ due to the sharp rails. but i feel like the wood rides alot smoother in the water and sits deeper.

i didnt ride the integ long enough to really dial it in. i like the concave and the footpockets on it though. just my opinion of riding my first composite.[/quote]

The wood board sits deeper because of the round edges. Sand the edges on that integrity!!
-LoGiK-
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Orlando

PostPosted: May 30, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jalvemo, ya the doyle is a great board if only it was a little longer maybe a 42" or 41"
Alex Lirio
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: May 30, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cassette hampson and byerly 05. I've also ridden my bro's integ lemons and I must say that I feel more comfortable with the cassette. It rides better than the 2 so I guess wood is real good. But Integ rides real sweet too!!! Better to have both then Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: