FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

A good beg/int board
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FASTnSPEEDY
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: May 04, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: A good beg/int board Reply with quote

Hey,

I went to try to order a Kampus K-series a few days ago and I was told there kind-of out of business. (They aren't really out of business, but they aren't shipping any thing out.) Sooooo

What would be a good board for a total beginner?
I am 135lbs and totally new to wake-skating. My wake-boarding skills are next to none, I can get up but that's about it. Laughing
I live on the water and go out all the time, the only problem is I have an older sea-doo that puts out sad wakes, so big air wake-boarding isn't a option. So I started looking at wake-skates, I will probably improve pretty quickly, so I would like to buy something that would be OK to learn on, but still be good as I got better and also started hitting rails. (we have them built for skis and knee-boards)

So thats board would you go with? I don't mind spending a little more provided it's worth it, but I would prefer not to spend too much.

John

Jonesie
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 04, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any board that you want

the end

Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Chalmette

PostPosted: May 04, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Integs are a bit more but definately worth it. If you don't want to spend too much get the Team model ($250). They're about to start shipping so it's the perfect time to get one. If you don't want to spend that much, a lot of people like Oaks. They are about $200 and everyone who has one seems to like it.
dirtyohioriver22
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: cincy

PostPosted: May 04, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya you should get an oak ive heard nothin but good stuff from them, or an integ like jboss said ,i just ordered one wooohoo
senorbueno
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 04, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FASTnSPEEDY, you can get a Kampus K-39 from Bliss Sports... they have a few left in stock http://www.blisssports.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_38&products_id=149

http://www.blisssports.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_38&products_id=151
FASTnSPEEDY
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: May 04, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
FASTnSPEEDY, you can get a Kampus K-39 from Bliss Sports... they have a few left in stock http://www.blisssports.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_38&products_id=149

http://www.blisssports.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_38&products_id=151

Is there any difference between the '03 model and the newer ones?

From my research it looked like the k-39 was a good "all-level" board, is that right?

cfxomega
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: May 04, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the Kampus...you'll like it
________
Michigan medical marijuana dispensaries
________
MICHIGAN DISPENSARIES

Last edited by cfxomega on Feb 21, 2011 10:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: May 04, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FASTnSPEEDY, the kampus decks should (underline that) be shipping at the end of may. we'll have something up on the site really soon about all of that. I'm not sure if they're different from the 03 decks, but the clint pro model is slated to have a more snowboard-like lay up (vertically laminated wood, fiberglass).
senorbueno
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 04, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint's deck is gonna be a little wider, and have more rocker than the standard K-Series I believe and it's going to be a 40.5"

Glad to see Kampus is still in the game.
lake weir ocala FL
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Ocala

PostPosted: May 04, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved my K39!!!!!!!
wakeboarding is to wakeskating is like sex with a condom... it just feels better when you dont wrap up!!!
bang717
Ollie
Ollie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: May 04, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just placed my order for a blue K-39 from Bliss Sports.
Thanks guys!
FASTnSPEEDY
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: May 08, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="senorbueno"]FASTnSPEEDY, you can get a Kampus K-39 from Bliss Sports... they have a few left in stock http://www.blisssports.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_38&products_id=149

http://www.blisssports.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_38&products_id=151[/quote]I ordered the board Friday at 2:30 and it came in today (Monday) before I'd gotten back from work. They were awesome to deal with, definitely a great shop to buy from.
Now for a new question, With the board came those Kampus Bump Fins, (they look like a rounded fin with cut-outs in the middle of the fin) from what I've read they are great for rails, and good for spin tricks, but not as good as fins for carving. Would they be OK for a beginner?
I've never ridden a wakeskate before so I wouldn't know the difference, so I'm guessing they would be OK to start with?

senorbueno
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 08, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FASTnSPEEDY, they will be fine to start with....
I ride my Kampus finless, as do several other people. Fins are something that you have to figure out for yourself. Everybody has their own opinions on them. I've seen some people ride with 2 fins, 1 fin, big fins, little fins, bumps, DIY fins made out of wood, and just recently someone on here just put little metal brackets on his board that he bought at home depot. The possibilities are endless.
FASTnSPEEDY
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: May 09, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to put the fins in and the two out side holes don't go all the way through the deck. But the bump fins I have, have three screws on each fin.
Is it OK to drill through the wood?
If I do drill through the wood do I need to put something in the holes to prevent the board from becoming "waterlogged?" Something like candle wax like many people mention.

myers
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: VENICE

PostPosted: May 09, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try it without fins first before you drill because theres a good chance you will like it without them, most people end up not using them but its all your preference.
FASTnSPEEDY
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: May 09, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
try it without fins first before you drill because theres a good chance you will like it without them, most people end up not using them but its all your preference.
Do I need to seal it before riding it?

If I do put the fins in, do I need to seal the holes I'll have drilled?

JB_CANSKATE
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Markham, Ontario

PostPosted: May 09, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea man deffinately seal it multiple times with any outdoor wood sealer.

JB
myers
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: VENICE

PostPosted: May 09, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldnt hurt to seal the deck before you ride it, it will definately make it last longer but you have to sand it down first which is a pain in the ass. Personally, i think its only a 75 dollar board so dont worry about it. My friend beat his kampus to death and it held up really well without any sealant. Another thought is, by the time the kampus is dead, you will be ready for a much better board.

If you do drill the fin holes then seal them if you can find some cheap sealer in a small can or something but i wouldnt waste too much time/money doing it becuase its not that big of an issue especially if you are gonna have fin screws in it. One thing you could do is melt a candle and dip the fin screws in before you put them in the holes.
FASTnSPEEDY
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: May 09, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I rode it today for the first time. Before I went out I looked over the board pretty good, it had some dings in the side but I thought, whatever, I'll probably do worse anyways. There was also one small crack, about an inch long and thinner then a hair. I called the shop and the guy said it would be OK so I sealed the crack with glue and headed out. (without the fins, I didn't have any drill bits to drill out the board for the fins so I went finless) I got done with a few passes and noticed there were many more little hairline cracks on the board, still very thin but this time some were several inches long. After I got inside I looked over the board and noticed that the wood had swelled a little by each crack. (but not by the crack I sealed with a little glue)
The questions are...
Are the cracks normal?
Should I reseal before riding again?
Is there a way to make the wood "unswell"?

If the cracks are not normal should I call about returning the board?

deltarider

PostPosted: May 09, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is probably just the paint...but i would seal it just in case...try a really strong water-proof wood laminent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: