FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Wakeskate Mania 2004

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Barousse
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Wakeskate Mania 2004 Reply with quote

I would like to get some other opinions on this topic....

For some reason, maybe I just wasn't paying attention in the past, but it has recently occured to me that wakeskating is now the best thing since sliced bread. Looking through some of the neweset issues of the "wake" mags and checking out various websites, it seems that everyone wants a piece of the wakeskate pie now.

I understand that this will happen as the sport grows, but it is just funny to me how some people are embracing wakeskating now that basically turned their noses up to it a year ago.

What do you think? Am I crazy? Am I blind because this has been going on for years now?

Wakeskating. It's so hot right now......
RUSSIAN
Integrity Sheep

City: Where's my beer

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true to a point, there are still people that don't "get it" but that comes with the territory
Chief Pimp A Ho
Ollie
Ollie

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it has a lot to do with product knowlage. Plus, someone saying it's cool. We all know how people can be. Things aren't cool until mainstream media says it's cool. The people are like zombies and say that's cool. I think everyone here I have persoanly met on this website is all about the love and the vibe of the sport. I also feel that it's up to us to decide where the sport goes. We are all the poineers of this sport and it's up to us to keep it real and true to others we meet and mostly ourselfs.
Chief Pimp A Ho
Ollie
Ollie

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, we are getting due respect.
Yuri
Raley

City: orlando

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief Pimp A Ho Word.

Wakeskating is growing a lot due to skateboarding i know a lot of people including myself skateboarded for a couple years then went to wakeboarding then when they saw wakeskating they fell in love and gave up the wakeboard. Or some people wakeboard and just started wakeskating (no skateboard backround).
BillJ
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakeskating has progressed a lot in the last couple of years. And with the new tricks people are landing comes more respect and interest for the sport. Just sort of natural progression.
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, great topic! I'll have to come back to it because I'd like to do a little bit of thinking first. But i would like to say that alliance has done a decent job in the past with covering wakeskating. WBM was alright as well when MCcaffray and smith were there. I think they're more in touch than most...

However, you can tell who has cred, especially when you read the dresden write-up in wbm and see how they talk about the shoe and how all of the cassette guys wore it in sfumato? Maybe it's picky, but I think they're stupid and trying to be cool. You can quote me on that too. Everyone knows I'm bitter about WBM....god, they tried so hard to claim their support of wakeskating in that half-a$$ed anniversary issue it was sickening, when they can't even have the ever-so-popular five paged feature "area 51" published on a consistent basis. Can I get a what, what? Whatever...

ollieshuvitz
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: east bay area

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having wakeskating in WBM is like having skateboarding in a surfing mag. It's where the sport started from, but it needs to be seperate. I think that everyone is realizing that wakeskating gains popularity easily because of it's close ties to skateboarding. The only thing with wakeskating is that not every one has water in their backyard, as opposed to skateboarding where there is concrete everywhere. As the popularity of wakeskating increases, so will the number of ads. Simply put, people might rather see a Kovacich varial flip sequence over Froggy Soven's 720. It seems to me that in this 2004 season the sport has the most potential it has ever had to be pushed to the next level and break off (at least in the comps) from wakeboarding.

--My two cents for right this minute.--

Rob
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Stockholm/Sweden

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who wouldn't rather see Kovacich stomping a varial flip over Froggys 720?!?!?! Most of my friends are strictly commited to wakeboarding and they were all totally stoked when they saw Aaron Reeds first bigspin captured by Letchy in a WBM... A couple of years ago people asked me if I couldn't afford bindnings (sarcasm) and now they're stoked when they realize the heavy shizzle Aaron and the guys are pullin' off.... It's taking off for sure.....
Todd
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Battle Ground

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hav the same thing going on with the local wakeboarders. They have been busting my balls for 2 years about skating and this summer they all wanted pointers. I was the only one who skated 2 years ago now ther are at least 6 guys I ride with who joined me in being 100% binding free.

Dave said it best, alot like Hansel "Wakeskating. It's so hot right now......"

Dave Barousse
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I was the only one who skated 2 years ago now ther are at least 6 guys I ride with who joined me in being 100% binding free.

I can see how this may come into play too, but my comments weren't really about the riders. I love to see riders switch over or at least spend more time on a wakeskate. But if they thought it was lame before and are now interested in it because of all of the hype, then that would pretty much be the same thing I was talking about in my post.

It sounds like that was what happened to you Todd??
Todd
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please believe! They were all playa hatin' now they are partisapatin' I think it is a mix of what people see being covered in print and video. I thank Grubb for a lot of it, I really don't think Grubb wakeskates I think he does more binding-less wakeboarding. The Nautica ads and his pretty-boy looks gets people interest peaked in something. After all the wakeboarders see the mainstream Grubb with the w2w stuff that gets them started skating a little an realize how hard it is. After that they start respecting the more technical stuff of Reed, Horrel and Greg Van Wagen Smile (seriouly Greg that varial was the best yet, no BS about it). I just hate all the people who have mocked me and the sport I love for over 3 years now they talk about it like it is the best thing since sliced bread. At least it is getting the sport out to a broader audience.

I just don't like the cocky as hell wakeboarders always ask the same damn thing " So..............uh........can you like...........kickflip that thing?" and I reply "No those are to tech for me" and the same respose is always " I now I could do one in like.................5 tries!!!!!!!"

to each there own.

Motorskillz
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: oxford

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember the ASTRO DECK gator cheat pads that stuck to your wakeboard. i tweeked my knee one day... boom i was done.now with so much to choose from i think alot of people's intersts are sparked again. there own publication great idea wakeskating has come into it's own. seperating wakeskating and wakeboarding on tour... bad idea wakeboarding has allot to gain from wakeskating and wakeskating has alot to gain from wakeboarding we all utilize the boats and jetski's and products the same. we are very much alike..... same speeds, same wakes, same rails, little different stoke, same hot chicks, and same friends. so lets not let the little sh#t come between us and the guy wakeboarding being a prick is not a true wakeboarder! WAKESKATING will be bigger than wakeboarding just like skateboarding will always be bigger than snowboarding but they are both tight!

as for mags uh who ever show cases anything at this point is tight!

as for grubb he is a different rider just i like different skaters for being tech or going big. grubb is a go big rider i like horrel and reeds linking tricks and tech riding too!

uh kovacich varial flip or froggy 720....uh how about froggy 720 over top of kocacich varial flip that would be sick.

ride and let ride! boarders unite
medic
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: the couve

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd- "I really don't think Grubb wakeskates I think he does more binding-less wakeboarding. The Nautica ads and his pretty-boy looks gets people interest peaked in something. "

I admit that the Grubb doing the whole nautica junk was a little lame! But bull crap if he doesn't wakeskate just as good as anyone else. Grubb wakeboarded before he skated, he has a different style. Thats like saying Danny Way doesn't skateboard because he doesn't skate like Jaime Thomas. It's a load of crap. If everyone skated the same the sport would get boring. tech tricks are hardcore and i am stoked to watch guys do shuv to back lips and all that crap. But i also like to see guys like Drew McGuckin and Brian Grubb go w2w and pull some pretty amazing stuff. Different people bring different style, don't hate it!

Todd
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, I ment wakeboarder's seem to relate more to Grubb's riding than anyone other skater's. I think Grubb kills it but he is not like Reed who you can tell pulls more from skateboarding tahn wakeboarding.

I just ment it in realitive terms

Dave Barousse
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

but he is not like Reed who you can tell pulls more from skateboarding tahn wakeboarding

The first time I rode with Reed, he hadn't started wakeskating yet, at least not that much. His wakeboarding skills blew my mind.........
gripitandripit
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: The Couve'

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with medic though, comparing the two riders just isn't fair, their abilities are both unbelievable, they just ride with a little different style, you can't crack putting a stylistic twist on riding, otherwise there wouldnt be much progression. These two guys have both clearly raised the bar for wakeskating......
Todd
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not trying to compare riders. I just ment who is resposable in my opinion for the big cross-over boom of the past year. And from a newbies perspective it would be Grubb.

As far as who pushs me I would say Reed, Horrell, Byerly. I think Grubb kills it just not what I like so much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: