FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Building a homemade wakeskate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
?
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Building a homemade wakeskate Reply with quote

Hey everyone, haven't been on here in a while, but just wanted to give you all an update on what I've been doing. I started wakeskating last summer on a Hyperlite Stylus. I can now get up almost every time, and am comfortable going out and in both sides of the wake now.

Anyways a couple of weeks ago I noticed some parts of the layers were delaminating

So I did a quick fix with some gorilla glue and epoxy

This probably won't hold up for long, so I decided to make my own, here are the pictures I took in order of the steps. The jig is a 3 stage with 2 in of rocker made out of 2x4s. For wood I used a 4x4 sheet of 1/4 in birch plywood from Lowes. For glue I used Titebond 3.
This is what I've completed so far. I plan on cutting and sanding it tomorrow morning then applying the varnish throughout the day.

?
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning I cut, sanded, and applied the first layer of spar varnish to the top and sides. I plan on doing 4-5 coats of varnish on the top and bottom then 7-8 on the sides.

?
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just applied the 2nd coat. Planning on doing the third tonight, then 4th tomorrow morning (last for the top coat).

?
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a third coat last night and a fourth this morning. Planning on flipping it over around noon and starting on the bottom coats.
Pic of fourth coat:

Frye

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I always enjoy seeing people make their own skates. Have you ridden a board besides that Hyperlite? It looks like you made an exact replica of it.
jazzbox
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Salt Lake City

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Are you going to put eva foam or grip tape on it?
?
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Nope haven't ridden anything besides the Hyperlite, and actually it looks nothing like it. The homemade one is much more square and is a 3 stage rocker vs a continuous. I'm planning on doing grip tape, gotta go to my local skate shop later and pick some up. I also ordered some DVS shoes that were on sale to use, hopefully they'll be here before I leave for vacation. Here's the link if anyone's interested: http://www.amazon.com/DVS-Mens-Rico-CT-Skate/dp/B008YJHZZM/ref=sr_1_1?srs=2590913011&ie=UTF8&qid=1407424809&sr=8-1&keywords=mesh
?
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First coat varnish on bottom and 5th on sides

Smash

POPTART
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hell yeah

im going to do this one day
Frye

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

? wrote:
Nope haven't ridden anything besides the Hyperlite, and actually it looks nothing like it. The homemade one is much more square and is a 3 stage rocker vs a continuous.

Compared to how other wakeskates look, your board looks exactly like the Stylus.

That Hyperlite is an entry level board. Since you have the skill to make your own boards I would look at other wakeskates and see how they are put together and shaped. In my opinion Hyperlite doesn't have the best idea on how to make a wakeskate so it could benefit you to see some other designs.

?
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frye wrote:

Compared to how other wakeskates look, your board looks exactly like the Stylus.

That Hyperlite is an entry level board. Since you have the skill to make your own boards I would look at other wakeskates and see how they are put together and shaped. In my opinion Hyperlite doesn't have the best idea on how to make a wakeskate so it could benefit you to see some other designs.

Yeah I guess I can see what you're saying how the top of the deck looks similar. This was basically just a test board to see if my jig worked and to press out one quick before I go on vacation next week. My next one I will add concave parts to the side and tip of the board.

?
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up some Jessup griptape at the local skate shop. Two sheets of 9" x 33". Not sure how I'm gonna cut these to make it fit the board well

Frye

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

? wrote:

Yeah I guess I can see what you're saying how the top of the deck looks similar. This was basically just a test board to see if my jig worked and to press out one quick before I go on vacation next week. My next one I will add concave parts to the side and tip of the board.

Besides being glued together the jig looks perfect. You already know more about wakeskates than most people who ride them, and you will learn a ton more the second that board touches the water and you see how it reacts.

Unless you get creative you will need a third sheet of griptape. Post some pics of it once you grip it. Twisted Evil

?
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frye wrote:

Besides being glued together the jig looks perfect. You already know more about wakeskates than most people who ride them, and you will learn a ton more the second that board touches the water and you see how it reacts.

Unless you get creative you will need a third sheet of griptape. Post some pics of it once you grip it. Twisted Evil

Thanks!
Planning on doing the last bottom coat and side coat tonight, then tomorrow I can do the grip tape and stencils. The varnish takes 24 hours to completely dry, so that will give it enough time to dry before heading to the lake Saturday morning.

?
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Aug 08, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the griptape and stencils today. With the griptape I just put both down parallel in the middle and used the excess off the sides to cover up the tips. Gonna do another layer of varnish to cover up the stencils after they dry.

?
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ready to ride Smash

RWmedia
Ollie
Ollie

City: Kansas City

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

?, great work
-=AlexXx=-
Pillage & Plunder

City: yes

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post vids of her first voyage!
?
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I'll try to get a video up tonight, gonna be tough with no wifi I'll have to use my hotspot. Very Happy
-=AlexXx=-
Pillage & Plunder

City: yes

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smash Smash Smash Smash
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: