FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

growing up sucks.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Non-Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcoffey
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: growing up sucks. Reply with quote

I rode less this year than any other year since I started skating. Partially because most of my friends got careers, bought houses, etc..don't get me wrong, I winched a bit and hit the cable park more than the average person but it is torturous knowing there is only going to be less and less time as my career takes off.

anyone else had to deal with forcibly becoming an adult?

http://jordancoffey.net
koozballs
Ollie
Ollie

City: Valparaiso, Indiana

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEARD THAT!!!
senorbueno
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raises hand...

I've ridden a handful of times since I graduated college 4 years ago. Moved away to where there is no scene. I snowboard more than I used to, but that's about it
GnarShredd
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right there with you. It's starting to get really depressing.

Been in the corporate world for almost 5 years now and every year I'm riding less and stressing out about my career more. Job, house, recently got married, trying to make ends meet. Just a lot going on that's pushed my riding to the back of the list Mad

Recently got news that my company is making some big changes too. Nobody is losing their job but we're getting moved in to new positions that none of us expected, let-alone applied for, so i have no idea what that means for my career path. Just living as pawns....
miller
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Regina

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gets better. I am scoring more water time than ever and teaching my little dudes is amazing.
http://harfangsnowskates.com/
http://www.thrashdad.com/
ollie
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit 40 at the first of the summer. I rode better than ever before. Still learning tricks and so is the rest of our crew (all 30 +). Plenty of children in the crew and they hang with us and ride as well. I love the fact that my friends and I have boats, time off, and $ for gas. It will get better, hang in there. This sport gets better every year for me.
POPTART
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.

True I am not getting 5 day weeks anymore. But this year I built a boat with my brother. It was amazing. We were able to take it on several camping trips. I was able to add more decks to my quiver over the past two years than I ever have. I have more money to throw at boards, projects (like our new winch system) and trips. I Rode less, but the quality of riding enjoyment was way up. I learned a few new things this year. I can go into the winter knowing I got some new stuff under my feet. Practice them on the snow and get ready for spring. Atl just got their new cable. Everything is coming along. I might not be learning and riding like I used to , but I am riding and learning in a new way and I feel like its for the better. I am going to wakeskate forever Cool because its the fiznackling shizzle.

Becoming an Adult means more responsibility, but when you get your little stuff out of the way for a few years, get all ducks in a row, then you can really enjoy wakeskating for what it gives you away from the adult responsibilities. Hardest part for us addicts is watching pros van trip all over the country riding all the time. It gives you a false sense of reality. Laughing I just enjoy the fact knowing that in a few short years I will be self sponsoring my own cable tour, winch tour, CWC trip, and all the decks I can pick up after Miller and Esnow leave the scraps. Wink

Keep your head up out of work and keep that fckr down when you are there. The harder you get at it, the more you will enjoy the benefits.

Here is to stressing over the day to day life, working your ass off, handling bizz/// so that the wall of water you slash cuts away every bit of it.

miller
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Regina

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POPTART, well put except the part about scraps.

Let me know if you need a deck

http://harfangsnowskates.com/
http://www.thrashdad.com/
-=AlexXx=-
Pillage & Plunder

City: yes

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year has def been the year Ive rode the least. I feel ya man. Due to a job opportunity in Jan. I decided not to ride all through spring because i didnt want to hurt myself and risk losing my job. Luckily I crushed it and im all set now. Finally i can start riding again, just in time for winter haha. Next year im going to be buying a ski and hopefully a place on the water eventually. The way I see it, put in the hard work now, and within a year or two I can hit the water hard and not worry about expenses as much.... Biggest thing that blows, is that most of my friends in the area have gotten real jobs which forced them to move or they work here and have zero time... Oh well. Things will be the best when i get my own pull and have my gf pull me haha Smash Smash Smash good luck to everyone grinding away and try to shred on the down time, its rough, we can do it.
daniel
Back Big

City: Duncan

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved from my private Stemper lake of dreams to OK. I have gotten worse at a rapid rate, no help to getting hurt multiple times this summer. Sad

But I still love it. It will get better. I have met a good group of guys here that love riding. Time to put on the wetsuit and do the winter riding.
integrity640
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Ocala

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Lake Stemper danielsan Sad

AnchorsAwayWake <======check it
scott a
"a" is for angel

PostPosted: Oct 28, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting old = make more money
Make more money = buy bigger (and more!) toys.
More toys = more responsibility and more debt.
So now you're just as broke as you were when you were young, but now you've got lots of debt and there's more stuff to go wrong. Laughing

I purchased a condo back in July and I've only been on the water two times since then. My weekends these days consist of me researching/planning for what to buy, installing stuff I buy, painting, or fixing. This will be the first year in 10+ years that I wont step foot on a houseboat, and having other friends that I ride with also having more toys/responsibilities can make it difficult to coordinate schedules to get on the water.

Oh well, tis life. Things will settle in at some point I'm sure.

jcoffey
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Oct 28, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniel, I'm down here in Dallas. We need to shred next season!

....on top of growing up, the GF and I called it quits. it hasnt been an awesome month.

http://jordancoffey.net
PIRATE
Kickflip
Kickflip

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who feels your pain let me assure you two things...... First this to will pass..... Secondly it's going to get worse before it gets better..... I used to ride over 300 days a year... Then I had a kid and that dropped a little.... Then the second child and it dropped quite a bit more.... Then I had to get seriouse about my career taking my riding into the single digits annually.... Then a third kid.... Then something happened.... I had a wife of 10 years... 3 kids..... And my job was going really well..... This year I rode more then I have in the past 6 years.... And you know what... I appreciate it a lot more.... My kids like to ride... My wife does.... It's as if its been sitting here waiting for me this whole time...... I have found the secret to keeping wake skating fun...... Never let the idea of wakeskating good, over ride the pure enjoyment of just wakeskating.... Of just standing on that board and schralping a big carve or a FS board slide on the wake..... It's not going anywhere....

What a threesome this would be!.
EJazzle
faceplant

City: Tequesta/orlando

PostPosted: Nov 17, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can count on one hand the number of times I've rode in the last 2 years.
The Bug
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Redding

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you skip the wife and kids treadmill you can ride more. Choices.
GnarShredd
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, job hunting suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

At least I'm one of the lucky ones who's looking while having a steady paycheck, but it's still a huge PITA.
dirtyohioriver22
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: cincy

PostPosted: Nov 08, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been able to ride a handful of times in the past couple years , only when I go home to visit the fam- this is my fault tho because I decided to move to china and live on 350$ bucks a month and work only 6 hours a week to improve my mandarin. At least I get to skateboard every single day. Explaining to Chinese how i started skateboarding to get better at water skateboarding really confuses them, then excites the masses. i love exciting the masses. But the saddest part of it all is my sexy winch is stored up in the rafters at the metal factory my dad works at , ooooh its soooo sexy. only forklift accessible , but sexy enough. if anyone is near cincinnati and wants to borrow my winch for a year please contact me , i am dead serious i wish some people could get some use out of it,,China's not bad though, ( im actually in taipei now, ). 我每天睡覺然後滑板!
dirtyohioriver22
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: cincy

PostPosted: Nov 09, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is phillipines the only cable in asia?
Frye

PostPosted: Nov 09, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No there are a ton of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Non-Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: