FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Lookin For W2W Wakeskate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radster
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Lookin For W2W Wakeskate Reply with quote

I am interested in wakeskating and want to get started. I skateboard and I use to wakeboard a little so I will probally get the feel of wakeskating down pretty fast. Im trying to decide which type of skate will work best in lake huron (kind of rough water). I will be trying to do w2w because I have a boat with a good wake and I will be trying to do minor skateboard tricks (ollie, shuvit, maybe kickflip)

Im thinking of getting a bi-level board because I heard their easier to control behind a boat and they are suppose to have a more skateboard like feel. I live in Canada so I`m trying to find some good boards on the online shop called Evo (cuz they have low shipping). The two that I like so far are Liquid Force SST Grant Roberts Wakeskate 2013 and Ronix Boomstick Bi Level Wakeskate 2013. Please help me decide what board I should choose because I cant wait to try this awesome sport.

Personal info...
- Im 5` 7", 100lbs
- Money is not a big issue

Thanks alot guys, Im hoping to contribute lots to this forum after I get started with the sport! Very Happy
11RANDOMNESS
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Winter Haven

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people don't ride bi-levels. Boomstick is crazy heavy. SST's snap easier than other boards (especially when landing kickflips half way). I would just go with a Concave deck (single level). Thats what I wish I would of started out with instead of an SST.

-Kyle
radster
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.. From what I read I thought that heavier boards are better for w2w. If not, then what board would you recommend me to get? And isn't the sst made out of composite for a more durable construction? I'm not going to be doing any park stuff, just behind the boat.

Thanks for responding fast!
miller
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Regina

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radster, check your pm
http://harfangsnowskates.com/
http://www.thrashdad.com/
11RANDOMNESS
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SST top deck is flex and after a while they can snap easier than normal boards, at least in my experiences. Heavier boards aren't necessarily better for wake to wake. The only reason heavier would be better is because they won't be blown around so easily in high winds. If the winds are blowing high enough to blow your skate away from your feet then its probably to rough to be riding anyway.

-Kyle
southpaw
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Houston, Texas

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look into Remote or Watermonsters wakeskates. They are both heavy single wood concave boards, solid durable construction, with huge pop

The Watermonsters have an abrupt 3 stage rocker, and a natural feeling concave.

The Remote has a smoother flowing rail, and steep concave and kicktails. I feel will be better for w2w.

These are easy to control behind boat or anything. The pros that ride these boards are truely skateboarding on water. Search these forums, watch tons of videos, and ride as many boards, to find what you like Birthday
wakeskate2011
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Finland

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride behind a sea ray 180 sport w2w all the time. Ive tested cwb onset, oak ben horan pro model, sst 40.5" and lately remote nick taylor model. My opinion is that cwb is way to heavy, the sst is okay( shorter and not as heavy as the cwb bi level). The new remote is great! Tracking in water is extremly easy and you dont have to carve the board as hard s the sst to get to the other side( nice landingalso Smile)

Now when i choose which board im gonna go wakeskate with its definitly the remote wakeskate. The sst is fun now and then but it sits so much lower in the water vs the remote. The best feel for truly wakeskating comes from a plywood concave wakeskate.
radster
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks guys. So what im hearing is that even though im going to be riding in rough water, a bi-level is not better? If thats true than would a LF Tao be good? The only remote I can find is one on a canadian shop, and its 419.99$, which is suprisingly really expensive with tax (Ontario`s tax is 13%). Even though I said money is not a issue.. A max price would probally be 450$, which includes tax+shipping.
radster
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So really my question is : Out of these three boards which would be the best to ride on rough water behind a boat while having a skateboard like feel to it, LF Tao 2013, Ronix Boomstick 2013, or the LF sst 2013?
11RANDOMNESS
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct me if I'm wrong but I've seen a couple Tao's and the rocker looks ridiculously small. It starts very late in the nose and tail. At least thats what I think because I've never ridden one.

-Kyle
POPTART
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode the tao and liked it, but i only rode it on a cable.
it was fast on the water, slow rocker for nice extended big ollies, and i would assume it would ride boat great, its just on the lighter side of the boards out there (having rode a few integ/mutinys I had no problem finding its sweet spots) but i could see in choppy water w2w how it would be a challenge to keep with you. Stick a fin on there and Im sure it would be fun.

. I would pick up the remote if you want a constant heavy board for riding boat. Its my favorite all around board. I also enjoy the crap out of my Watermonster w2w. It snaps and pokes better (for me). I think most of that is due to the rocker.

I have only rode the first edition ronix bi-levels. I felt like they were super heavy and tall(like riding a monster truck).

radster
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info pop tart.. I might not be able to get a remote, but I can get basically any ronix board.. Does anyone know how the ronix hoverboard is for choppy w2w?
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the first season that one has been out, radster.
w@kelife
Ollie
Ollie

City: Tavernier

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11RANDOMNESS, If the winds are blowing high enough to blow your skate away from your feet then its probably to rough to be riding anyway.
^
radster
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the boomstick is bad for W2W, than whats it good for? And if I get a Hoverboard its basically a 50 50 chance its good cuz its a brand new series board?

Thanks for stickin with this guys... I know I ask too many questions Confused
electricsnow
cassette

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boomstick isn't bad for wake to wake, it's just a different kind of board that not everyone likes to ride. I personally love bi-levels, but right now i just ride a normal concave deck. I can ride one or the other, but i have a hard time switching between the two because it takes me a long time to adjust to the change.

I just don't think enough people have ridden the hooverboard to say anything about it. It took them a long time to develop it...i would hope it would. Reading the product description, it sounds like a heavier board also, but honestly, a number of the wood concaves are heavier--surely heavier than they used to be years ago.

radster
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you think that the hoverboard is kind of like a single level version of the boomstick? Which wakeskate do you think would have the closest feeling to a skateboard, and a nice feel riding w2w? Idk why but the boomstick is attracting me over all other boards...

Thanks for your opinion e-snow!
electricsnow
cassette

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a really hard time commenting on that because i don't really do anything wake to wake. And this is all so subject to personal opinion. I really enjoyed riding a cassette bi level and i felt like the pop was most like a skateboard, and the concave was also inspired by skating (and was very on point, in my opinion). But at the time, people thought those boards were too heavy and they broke if they were all wood and you didn't land bolts or you submarined the board.

However, nowadays wood concaves are heavy--at the very least, as heavy as my cassette bi level. At the time, i really liked the weight of that board, i felt super consistent with my tricks, and lip tricks were a breeze. I still prefer liptricks on a bi level. But as far as pop and doing any sort of trick, i have been able to carry it all over both ways and feel good about it.

I haven't ridden reed's board so i can't say how it rides (weight, rocker, or even stiffness of the top deck). Same with dieter's board--zero experience with it. I think either board is going to have enough weight for you though. It's just about determining what qualities you prefer. Overall, the majority of riders ride a normal concave deck. There are still guys who ride bi levels, just not as many.

And ultimately, i don't think anything is ever going to feel exacrly like a skateboard. The mechanics and physics have similarities, but for instance, you will prepop a little bit on a wakeskate, and you don't drag your foot up to ollie.

Did you check out these product vids?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc5zU4c6bnQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zX2MIjS4cY

Those might give you some ideas, but it just ends up being personal preference. Some of the most skate influenced riders just ride a normal concave deck (ben horan, andrew and austin pastura are my strongest examples because their skate mechanics cross over to wakeskating so perfectly).

daniel
Back Big

City: Duncan

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricsnow, the cassette bilevels were perfect. wish they didn't break. Sad

I would still like to snag up a verge just to ride from time to time. feel like they were the only ones close to feeling the same and holding up. mr forrest used to shred those.
radster
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I watched those vids.. reed says the boomstick is good for riding behind a boat and for cable park. Dieter only says stuff about cable park and nothing about w2w... I should of changed the title to "hoverboard vs boomstick"

Thanks the huge helpful post esnow. But I still can't make up my mind. Btw, the shop I'm going to doesn't let you try out the boards.. and plus if they did, its my first time so ide be falling off the whole time anyways!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: