FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

lib tech/banana rocker riders
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Other Boardsports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: lib tech/banana rocker riders Reply with quote

after years of riding a dark series, i was persuaded ro buy a box scratcher by lib. It's my first experience with magne traction and reverse camber on a snowboard. Anyone else out there ride a rockered snowboard? What's your take on it?

So far, i kind of don't like it. At slow speeds, i don't feel like i have a ton of turning control, but i'm so used to snapping into and out of turns...mo old board turned on a dime and was awesomely snappy. It's fun to ride a board i can actually press, but i miss the reaponsiveness of my old board.

Last edited by electricsnow on Oct 22, 2014 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
senorbueno
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricsnow, boxscratcher is normal BTX (not C2 or C3 or whatever else Mervin has). Normal BTX will be the least responsive of all their rockered boards. The more popular boards being sold these days have more of a combination of rocker and camber (technically boxscratchers do too, but the camber portion is super mild).

Companies like Lib/NeverSummer swear by rocker between the feet with camber outside... while several other companies like camber between the feet and rocker on the outside for better float and then there's the whole wave of boards with zero camber and the "old school" positive camber.

I ride a Lib T-Rice and a Capita NAS. The Capita is normal camber, but for my everyday riding I prefer the T-Rice (magnetraction with rocker on the east coast is awesome for ice). The Capita is nice and snappy though and I like taking it out from time to time.

In the future, I'll stick to buying boards with a combination of rocker and camber, it seems to be the best of both worlds (but I've technically never ridden a board with 0 camber).
senza wake
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: SLC

PostPosted: Apr 10, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rode a technine rockered board for a few seasons. i loved it. i love the loose feel of a rockered board, but it just fits my riding style. park all the time.i also love the way it feels in powder.
this season i got a DC pbj which is flat(zero camber) and it was awesome. it was still super pressy but also very stable on jumps. i would recommend flat camber over the hybrid anyday. but thats just me. i feel like hybrids have a bit too much going on to be effective. simple is awesome. my opinion is get used to the rocker, but thats cuz i love rocker/flat now.
also a side note, i rode a bataleon(which has their triple base technology with raised edges) before i got a rockered board. the bataleon was fun but super loose. so by the time i got a rockered board i felt like i was going back to a more stable board. so that probably helped me get used to it fast.
Bally
Ollie
Ollie

City: Saskatoon

PostPosted: Apr 10, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride the Capita Horrorscope. Its a flat kick snowboard so its flat between bindings but reverse camber from binding to tip. I absolutely love the loose feeling that it gives and riding backcountry powder it totally saves all that pressure on your back leg from leaning back all the time. Even catching air and landing in powder you hardly have to lean back. I only ride a 155 and im 6 feet so theres something to be said there.
dscsk8er55
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricsnow, what did you decide on your board? Are you trying something else out or are you trying to stick this one out? I am thinking about trying one of the Lib/GNU boards this season and this conversation has got me thinking a bit more about what board i want to go with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

City: Menlo Park/ Bay Area

PostPosted: Oct 22, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowboarders! I need some help with sizing. I've been snowboarding 4 times in my life mostly back in highschool and just rented a board at the time or borrowed a friends extra.

I want to get back into and looking at the GNU Carbon Credit board. Talked to a few people and based on what I've read online it sounds like a great all around board for me. Not looking to go pro or anything, just cruise the mountain, jib some stuff in the park and fun during the winter.

My main question is sizing. I know I need a Wide board because I have size 13 feet but I'm not sure on length.

I'm 195-200lbs before throwing on snow gear and 6'2.

The board comes in the following sizes. 153W 156W 159W 162W 165W

What would be my best bet? the 159? 162?

scott a
"a" is for angel

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 195lbs and I've been on a 159 Lib Tech TRS magne traction (but no banana) for a few years now. I like the size for everything except for powder days, which is fine for Tahoe 99% of the time (Sad)

I've heard that the banana stuff helps a bunch with float in the pow, but I'll leave it up to others to provide further info.

senorbueno
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go 159 if I were you.
Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recommendations on boots/bindings? Trying to do this on a budget with close out gear from last year but I'm looking for some gear that will last me a while.

Doubt ill ride more than 5 times a season especially with the current California water conditions and hopeful look at snow.

Mostly all mountain riding, but I'd love to hit up the park boxes and learn to ride pow but as Scott said not very often it happens.

senza wake
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woah. big boards... here is my .02 boards used to be made differently than now, they used to have a much smaller effective edge. now boards are made with a much larger effective edge which allows you to ride a smaller board than you would have 10 years ago. also the magne traction is supposed to increase that even further so you should be able to ride a much smaller board. I have ridden a 162 for a full season, the next season I dropped to a 152 and have never looked back.

I have ridden about every different profile there is, and I have found my favorite, which is just straight rocker
I am 6'3" and 220 lbs. with size 12 feet and ride a 152 cm board, rocker profile, with detuned edges. yes I ride park almost exclusively.

Now for you guys that ride big mtn more: do you get to go heli-boarding or ride huge open faces covered in powder? if not, you are probably finding most your powder in the trees, I still prefer a 152 in powder cuz in trees I can maneuver easily with the shorter board. I have NEVER felt like I wished I had a bigger board, I would still recommend smaller than 159 cm even if big mtn is your thing. probably more like 155 give or take.

As for wide boards: the only kid ive ever ridden with that I felt he merited it is 6'7" and has like size 14 feet, his board is a 156W DC PBJ, just look at what board youre buying. look at the waist width. if it has a waist of at least 25 cm (250mm) you will be fine if your feet aren't bigger than 12. with my size 12 I ride a board with 249mm waist and I have a slightly ducked stance (15 degrees out on each foot) and have never had a problem dragging or anything.

I am probably on one end of an extreme, big guy riding small boards, but I feel being 6'2" riding a 160cm is the other end of the extreme. demo a board if you can, try a 155 or smaller and see what you think.

IMO riding a board bigger than 156 cm at a resort, for someone of almost any size is about the equivalent to taking a wakeboard and gripping it up and riding it. it provides oodles of fun, but things can be even better.

this is all opinion obviously, but I love the feeling of having complete control of my board, riding it, not letting it ride me where it wants.
Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

senza thanks for the insight. My sizing of the 159/162 came mostly from online snowboard sizers and a few people i know who snowboard. I'm always interested in hearing multiple opinions though so I can make the best decision.

As for the wide vs non wide, I have a size 13 foot and you said the cutoff for size 12 would be a 25cm waist width. Do you think I could get away with a non wide board based on this sizing chart in the 156 or 159?

Anyone have some recomendations for bindings and boots that are comfortable but wont break the bank?

carbon credit sizing.jpg

Description:
sizing
 Filesize:  83.27 KB
 Viewed:  24676 Time(s)

senorbueno
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright... I tried to keep it simple b/c it seemed you had narrowed it down to the 162 and the 159... this response is going to get deeper.

Like senza said, those are big boards you had listed. Being reverse camber allows you to ride something shorter than the old school train of thought.

I would probably get the 156 or 159 if I were you. On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being a board wayyyy to small, and a 10 being something made for sasquatch, the 156 would be a 4 for you and the 159 would be a 6.

Now on the decision to go wide, it's all personal preference, I personally hate toe drag, so I would never buy a non mid wide. I'd especially get a wide if you go 156 or shorter. It will float a little better and you'll have plenty of leverage since you have big feet.

Boots... again all personal preference... the burton boots have a smaller footprint (Burton size 12 will fit someone with a 12, but the boot is slimmer than competitor's and will have the same footprint as an 11). So that may be something you could be interested in. I would try and find a store where you can try stuff on. 32 makes good stuff, I love my K2 Raider BOA's but they are like 8 years old and I'm looking to get some new boots this winter.

Bindings - I've tried a bunch from super cheap to high end. I currently ride NOW - IPO's (which are pretty nice), but if I were to do it all over again with my last purchase, I would have stuck with Burton Cartel's or Malavita's. One price point lower than the Cartel's are the Burton Missions and they are more than enough for 99% of people. I want to hate on Burton b/c they are the big fish, but honestly, their bindings are the best. Best ratchets, durable, very comfortable, not gimicky.

TLDR: Get the 159 or 156, probably wide/Whatever boots you can try on and feel comfortable in/Burton mission bindings.
Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

senorbueno thank you!

The only reason I had it narrowed to the 159/162 was based off sizing charts on differnt retailers. That's why I wanted to get some real world Input on sizing and I'm glad I did. I had yet to find anywhere online where BTX would allow you to size down from the convention length and still be fine. I'd rather have a smaller board that's just right compared to something way to big.

I'd like to think ill grt to have some amazing pow days but realistically I'll be staying on the general groomers and dabble in park so that extra length Id want for pow wouldn't be needed 98% of the time Id be riding.

I plan on heading to a local shop and trying everything on for sizing and fit/comfort on the boots/bindings but wanted to get some starting points from here. I've heard from a few different people that 32 makes some great boots so I'm looking into there stuff now.
Thanks!

senorbueno
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

32 lashed boots are the most popular boots of all time and for good reason. They are at a good price point and people seem to like them a lot. I've never worn them, but I would not hesitate to recommend them.
senza wake
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have and love my 32 Lashed boots. I bought some and had them for about 6 years and finally bought new boots probably more cuz my wife couldnt stand the smell... Laughing So I bought another pair and they are amazing. Talk to people before buying, I bought my new pair in 2013, but i just bought the 2012's because my awesome local shop was open with me and the difference between those years was literally the color options. All internals/tech was exactly the same so I got some amazing boots for $100 brand new. I expect these will go another 6 years and the Lashed has a nice smaller profile as was being mentioned. Size 12 fits nice, where as I owned a pair of Nikes in between and my 12's fit like 13's on the outside so I returned them before use.
Board: If I were you, I'd buy the 153W but I also agree you cant go wrong with the 156 or 156W. But get the 153W... haha.

Last edited by senza wake on Oct 24, 2014 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
senza wake
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and as for bindings, try and talk to your shop and get a feel for what you might like. I will agree that Burton bindings are popular and of decent quality and shape... but I HATE them. haha. I ride Technine bindings because they have an extremely straight up and down highback, Burtons adjusted as straight as possible still have this forward lean in them that make me feel like someone is axing at my calfs the whole time I ride (forward lean has been traditionally for riding Pipe, which I rarely do). but that is complete personal preference because I have a buddy who loves that forward lean. So like I said talk to your shop and get a feel. (Also Technines have had a lifetime warranty, I assume it still stands, so I have had plenty of new parts shipped to me free of any charge in replacement of any broken parts, no matter how nice a product you can break it with enough riding on it)
Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

senza wake, as much as I'd love to just all in on the 153W that seems sooo small.. I'm not doubting you, just wondering if the gamble is worth it.. Thinking the 156W is what I'll go with and once I have the board head to the local shops with it and get the boot/bindings taken care of.

Thanks for the help guys!

Jake S
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Senza said, go with a smaller rather than larger. If you like wake skating for the free feeling it gives you vs wake boarding, it sounds like you'd rather have a more playful setup. I would suggest no bigger than a 157. Once you get better and figure out what you like you could move up or down from there.

A 156 will be playful enough to have fun moving it around but also big enough to help you feel comfortable.

I am 6'2'' and ride a 152. I love it, but if I were planning on riding a little less park and rails I would probably go for a 154.

Good luck. But please don't go above 157..
Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question..

Im selling my wakeboard setup and have it listed on craigslist. A guy is willing to trade me a Capita Stairmaster Extreme 156 for my board. I have no problem trading my wakeboard since I planned to sell it for the snowboard anyway.

Can anyone tell me how the Capita boards are? Specifically the stairmaster extreme in a 156? Good board for a beginner to intermediate looking for an all mountain board that does a little of everything?

Here is the sizing for the board.

Length 156
Effective Edge 1190
Tip Width 299
Waist Width 255
Tail Width 299
Sidecut Radius 8.1

My biggest concern is the board not being a wide and with my size 13s ill get some toe/heel drag? Thoughts?

senorbueno
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a decent chance you'd have some heel/toe drag. Depends on the angles of your bindings, but 255 is a mid-wide waist width. Capita is a good brand though, I have a Captia NAS that I like, and the Stairmaster is one of their more iconic decks (has won multiple Good Wood awards). I can't remember, but I think the SM Extremes were regular camber? If it is, it may be a little hard to ride in the pow.

I don't know think I"d ever pay more than $200 for a used snowboard though unless it was mint so if you think you can get more from your Wakeboard setup it may not be an even trade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Other Boardsports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: