FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Greatest Post of All time...H-flip...Nick Taylor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David_Roehm
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Austin

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know how you kept your cool either. After your second post i would have lost it lol.
brassmonkey
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: sarasota

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am surprised that there's still only that one shady invert video floating around the web and never really authenticated, and that inverts haven't really been tackled

This makes me lol everytime. After reading a quote like this it's so obvious that there is an extreme lack of understanding for the beauty that comes out of this art. But I guess thats what bindings are for.

A back door into a life divine.
SwissArmyKnife
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: PawPaw

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i read about people complaining about the negativity problem here, it makes me realize that it could be worse. that thread being a prime example.

personally i don't really mind that people may think of wakeskating as inconsistant because all that comes to mind when i think of it is FUN!
RUSSIAN
Integrity Sheep

City: Where's my beer

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, I couldn't agree more with you on your view's in that thread. A good analogy is when young skaters try to learn 360flips before they can ollie up a curb. I used to see it all the time. It was really bad when 360flips were like the second coming in skateboarding Laughing
nick
Island Rat

City: Honokowai

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RUSSIAN, I remember you told Vance to learn to ollie up a curb before he learned kickflips when he said he was going to start skateboarding and I remembered that when I picked up skateboarding too. It definitely works the same for wakeskating, get the basics and then work your way up.

I <3 Wakeskating.

Integrity Sheep

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bad I'm still at the ollie up a curb stage in wakeskating after all this time Sad Sad Laughing
canalskater
Taco Bell Fa'Lyfe

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have lost it at "lets not kid ourselves"

skiers Arrow wakeboarders Arrow wakeskaters Arrow shawk?

thats the looking down upon order. we're almost at the bottom fellas!
chriscut
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canalskater, thats okay though.. I believe our sport will eventually grow larger than wakeboarding. Call me crazy, but I really do feel that way. It won't come in the next few years, but in 10 years it will be interesting to see where we stand.

From my viewpoint wakeboarding has peaked. You can spin, grab and flip... and make variations of the three. Wakeskating has more freedom, and at this point I think our list of tricks are only just beginning. Because of the flexibility of being unstrapped, and the advent of the winch I don't see us peaking out like wakeboarding has for many many years.

Last edited by chriscut on Dec 01, 2007 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jama

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thread strongly depressed me after reading it.

I can't stand people who conduct themselves like that moderator.
TYLER**
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: baton rouge

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure everyone on this site would love to fall 57 times in one run and be able to ride 8 times more than you usually would
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakeboarding definitely hasn't peaked. It was just this year that a backside 7 from the toeside was landed and there are still some spins that have yet to claimed. chad sharpe also did a double grabbed roll with a solid grab...and add in the fact that randall is going ballistic with the use of two boats and pretty much trying to use the tranny of the second wake. I'm not saying randall's thing is going to be common, but to me it's like skating or even snowboarding--it's about finding new ways to challenge yourself, whether it be building larger jumps and finding longer rails, or building a super ramp.

I just thought I'd say that becuase i am more about mutual respect and I'd rather show the other side of the coin.

jerry
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: key largo

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TYLER**, yeah really
chriscut
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricsnow, I'm just saying that their isn't as many options with wakeboarding. you have a wake or rail, and a board that you are locked onto. i know a ts bs 720 is hard, i respect the dedication it would take to land something like that. I just such a brighter future for our young sport because of our flexibility. We dont need a sacked out boat, we can have fun behind a truck, quad, jetski, ski boat or winch. of course wakeboarders can winch too, but they spend more time getting in and out of their bindings than they do riding:)

Since I was a snowboarder for a long time before I had ever rode a wakeboard I have to say i've always felt limited on a wakeboard. With snowboarding every mountain, jump, pipe, cliff, snow condition can be different, so you get to be more creative in that respect. With a wakeboard you are locked in, and everything is so static. I like the options that wakeskating gives you. there is so much more possible with our sport.

There is so much more growth in store for wakeskating. it really is exciting Very Happy

bmr712
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: daytona beach

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick def. backed wakeskating
nick
Island Rat

City: Honokowai

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a new lake in North Central FLA today and saw 5 boats over the course of the day. 4 of the boats had ONLY wakeskates and wakeskaters, none of whom were mindblowing at skating, but they were really stoked on it and you could tell it was what they were about. The other boat was a sea doo and they had a wakeboarder.

The scales are tipping and it's got summat to do with the cost of a decent wakeboard boat Wink

cassette

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cool chris, I wasn't trying to act like you were handing wakeboarding a major diss or anything, and I respect your opinion. Just from other things I've read on here from other people, I just wonder why people have to diss another artform in order to prove that theirs has promise, or the things they do are so much more important. Wakeboarders believe in what they do and the dedicate themselves to it. Why harsh another rider and their artform? For anyone that hates on it, throw in an old tape of byerly and you'll see how natural his style really was...in my mind and in my heart, byerly's strongest, most aesthetically pleasing style was on a wakeboard, even though I respect him as a wakeskater. Schmaltz has a style that nobody has even really come close on and he's a true original with a style that comes from the heart, and josh smith was a snowboarder that crossed his style over really well also.

Ultimately, I guess it's about how you look at it and if you really want to make it work. Water conditions are never really the same unless you're riding glass. Same thing goes for what kind of "vessel" you ride behind. i learned that it's quite different riding behind a weighted nautique vs my shiznackle little boat, but if you want it bad enough, you will make anything work. Furthermore, you can treat rollers as chop and wait for them to pass, or you can thrash them as you wish (much like you would rollers of snow at your mountain--or that's what we have because of the man made snow piles). Things that appear as limitations do not always have to be "limitations"...

I agree in that it's important to keep the accessiblity factor at the forefront, and just know that people have options, especially in this re-surgence of wake to wake riding and the fact that a number of professional riders have access to those 60,000 boats (which I am not saying is necessarily bad and I love seeing riders like a.reed or reed hansen hit the wake and catch a 3 shuv at the peak). I was looking through a mag with a josh smith interview from 1994 and he was talking about the snowboarders that were crossing over to wakeboarding and how you don't have to have a nice boat to ride. Wakeboarding lost that along the way and on some level, I understand it because in part, increased size goes along with progression for some (ex. randy harris or any snowboarder hitting a 100 foot table top). That's not how EVERYONE rides, or how they even have to ride. I don't know if it's the demographic or what...like thinking they need a boat like that to shred, when some of those riders will never fully be able to take advantage of what a 60,000 has to give them (though that money spent helps fund the industry). But it doesn't matter on some level, because if that's what they want, they're entitled to it. A friend that i ride with has an inboard/outboard with a nice wake, but I know he has a goal of buying a really nice boat for wakeskating because he likes how it feels going wake to wake, and that's awesome.

I was talking to someone who's been a snowboarder and wakeboarder since the 80s and he just got on one of those slingshot boards--a perfect match for him, in my mind, given his history and the style he's always tried to present--and he was talking about how even riding in the flats is fun because the carving feels like snowboarding because you can finish a turn, and they're just more responsive because they have a true flex pattern. I think a board like that is exactly what wakeboarding needs...just something to remind riders that it's doesn't have to be JUST about the wake. Wakeskating has that because you can do flats and lip stuff if you aren't all about the wake. Just having options and an open mind just to realize that the wake isn't your only option is really important.

That said, I'm also really stoked to see where wakeskating goes...There are definitely some things I'm looking forward to, like involvement and stuff, that's not in the distant future.

NaRC-P rider
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Narcoossee

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those guys on that site were pretty lame...honestly. and they were not prepared to be convinced otherwise Rolling Eyes

i think keith lant should get a pro spotlight
RUSSIAN
Integrity Sheep

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricsnow, Tell me more about Randall and the 2 wake thing.

Although my boat is a wakeboarding boat, I still prefer it over any other tow method. yeah the wake is nice and all that, BUT what I really like about it is when I'm not riding. I really enjoy chillin on the boat with good friends and music. With that said I think winching is taking this "sport"(it's hard for me to call wakeskating that" farther then anything to date. It's so much more like skating and the spots are endless. I tip my newcastle to all the kids out their pushing it farther and farther.

I still don't understand how some wakeboarders only see black and white as a way of riding. It's really hard for them to get the fact alot of people don't ride with that jock mentality. I've come across alot of them on that site over the years. maybe it's eastcoast thing, cause it's real chill out here on the west. I'm not dissin the east it's just alot of the people from the east are so bent on "training" and such. it's just not that way out here. Even the pros from here rarely ride that way. I ride to have fun, not to get better. Wakeskaters for the most part seem to get it Very Happy
electricsnow
cassette

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you seen transgression? basically two boats are running side by side and randall starts out behind the boat that's towing him and was trying to hit the far wake from the second boat. he actually slightly over shot it...it's amazing and for his riding, would do him some good to land on a transition instead of all of those flats landings. Smile

the training thing is weird. I mean, I know there are wakeskaters that will sort of work on stuff, but it's not like those people are overly serious about it. But I can't blame them for having a bit of a practice. If you're a talent and you're paying 125.00 or whatever it is to ride, you have a purpose. even gregg necrason was like that, and he was a huge proponent for freeriding. As he said, when it came down to it, that's what he was there for (to ride well at a comp).

Anyway, you're right narc-p. I pretty much stopped reading it after they broke down nick's thread sentence for sentence. that's pretty damn serious...

Hunter B.
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Kingwood

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on both sites and am a boarder and skater and after reading that thread; the main reason I saw it go to negativity is because Erik came in with a condescending tone about a subject he really knew nothing about. IMHO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: