FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Wakepark Etiquette

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geissap
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Wakepark Etiquette Reply with quote

So...there's finally a wakepark near me. I live in VA and they opened up a wakepark out in NC called Jibtopia. I think someone posted a vid here a week or two ago.

Anyway here's my question. This thing runs on a system 2.0 which I guess is one ride per line until that rider is done then the next rider goes. It's not like a traditional cable park where if you fall you swim to the side. Here if you fall they'll pull you right back up and off you go again. Here's my question...

Are you just a jack wagon if you continue to go over and over? Like I wanna work shuv its and right now I suck. I land about 1 out of every 50. So I might throw 5 or 6 before I end my line.

Is there protocol here? Etiquette?
11RANDOMNESS
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Winter Haven

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was running a park with a 2.0 I'd have it where the rider gets to go down and back, first bail you get picked up and after that you go back in the line. I'm sure they run it similar to this and highly doubt anyone is going to let you get 5 or 6 bails in one run, it would take ages. Unless of course theres no one there.

-Kyle
senza wake
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: SLC

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both 2.0 parks I've been to just run you a certain time. If you fall 20 times trying something over and over, great. If you lap line 20 times, you probably strap, ha but ride just the same. They have employees driving it for a reason, try those shuvs over and over!!!
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm most familiar with the time limits like senza wake mentioned. The 2.0 is so good for learning moves for that reason. Very little down time, fall as much as you need. It's a fipun alternative, for sure!
geissap
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A certain time like I get 5 minutes on the line period?
11RANDOMNESS
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Winter Haven

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

senza wake, Iv'e never ridden on an only system two park. Iv'e ridden them at the park but everyone was ridding the normal cables and I was only one on the 2.0 so I wouldn't know. But that sounds like it would be terrible waiting that long.

-Kyle
senza wake
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11RANDOMNESS, well one park I rode at it was a little wait but not too bad. the other park I rode at, it was me and one other guy and honestly they'd just let us ride for a good while, then I needed as long of a break as the guy riding cuz i'd get so tired after all the riding. the nearest full cable to me is the new one in Sacramento CA and that's like 12 hours away from me. So I've only ridden two sytem 2.0's. twice at one, once at the other.
geissap
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea and to be fair I'm planning on going at like 10 am on a Friday morning. This place is brand new so I'm doubting business is just slammin' yet. I was just curious. I didn't want to be the new kid on the block that pisses everyone off.

Also it's a little different with a wakeskate cause you could fall and your board shoots about 25 feet away. Little easier for a strapper to just get back up...well unless the board falls off I guess. Hmm...see this is why we should discuss etiquette lol.
senza wake
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about that either. Typically people are hitting features, so theyre not in the center of the cable. Which is where you have to be to get the handle to get back up, it actually take strap pets longer to swim with the board on back to the middle after falling. Don't worry bout pissing anyone off
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.0 i ride at has been slow while i've been there. But if there are others, we're all pretty good about letting everyone cycle through. The operator hasn't been crazy about time limits.

There's a 2.0 in eastern mn that has 10 or 15 minute sets, and that's what you pay for. I haven't been there but i think that pricing is expensive.

Once you get there, i'm sure the people running it will tell you how the sessions work, and you will know what you are paying for.

trey s.
Ollie
Ollie

City: orlando

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibtopia is the shizzle. and the guys there are super nice. you can fall as much as you want and its no biggy. if you go on a weekday you'll most likely have one of the systems to yourself too
senorbueno
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode at a "park" in Connecticut where there was one rail, and one kicker. You got to go down and back. It wasn't a wake park per se, it was a family fun park in a quarry, that had a 2.0 setup.

The place was focused on teaching beginners how to get up. I'm not good by any stretch of the imagination, but I was there for over a couple of hours and I got to go down and back 4 total times.

If they had a time slot for beginners and those that actually can get up and ride around, maybe I would've gone back. Wasn't worth 30+ dollars to get pulled by someone who had never seen a wooden wakeskate before for 4 very short runs
trey s.
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

senorbueno, that sucks! they have 3 at jibtopia and everyone that is learning have their own system, seeing as you have to be good enough to get out of the top pond just to hit the rest. i got more laps in than i could possibly count. i guess it all depends on the park
c dub
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Austin

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jibtopia looks like way too much fun

www.virtuewakeskates.com
senza wake
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the videos I've seen, Jibtopia has gotten everything right about what you would want from a 2.0. Correction: what I want from a 2.0
trey s.
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

senza wake, the gap is kind of hard to get alot of tricks down though because you have to edge into it so much but definitely worth trying out
senza wake
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I can totally visualize that from the footy I've seen. Obviously things could be made better always. Just seems light years ahead of most places I've seen. Heck I guess my ultimate setup would have an incline, flat bar, and some sort of obstacle to Ollie and do stuff over. Basta.
geissap
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfft I might be stuck on flat water in pool #3 I'm not sure I can get out of those top ponds. Maybe the hubba ledge if it can be ridden onto? But I'm not good enough to Ollie onto anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: