FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

utah winch / grinch winch clone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Winching sponsored by Pulldozer.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bs
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: utah winch / grinch winch clone Reply with quote

I heard about winches a couple of years back from some ski vids, looked them up and saw that they were like $2500 bucks so i never really thought about them anymore until last summer i saw this ghetto little thing in a wakeboard film and was like what the heck people are making these! So I started building in the fall and now have finally finished. I wanted to build a winch that was 1. different from what people have already made and 2. somewhat protected from the outside elements to prevent it from weathering and rusting as fast... which led me to a grinch winch design. The final product looks a little different especially in size but i think i got it pretty close. Tell me what you think.

I started with the engine, i used a harbor freight 11hp motor which i got for like $240 and a tav from bulletlines.

For the spool i followed B-nasty's design which was actually pretty easy to build. I used 3/8'' spool walls which was a big mistake, i regretted it a while ago, but now even though they weigh like 100000000 pounds it makes it super easy to pull the line out because it is carrying so much momentum.

For the frame i used 2x2 14 gauge square tubing, 1/4'' engine mounting plate, and like 3/16'' 2x2 tubing for the trailer hitch extender

Now, to finish it off and complete my 2 goals i got about 45 sq. feet of 24 gauge sheet metal and through a fudgin long process of cutting, folding, and drilling finally finished a design that is similar to Distortion's.

Painted everything over spring break. I used the rustoleum truck bed liner for almost everything, which i am pretty happy with it gives it a slight textured feeling and is holding up pretty well. And now the final product.

Specs:

Engine / Transmission
*11hp honda clone engine
*transmission-10 tooth #41 1'' torque converter
*#41 chain

Spool / Axle components
*spool-15'' outer diameter, 8'' inner diameter, and 6.5'' wide- with 600ft 7/64'' amsteel it has wound up about inch tall so maybe it was a little bit of overkill for that rope but it looks pretty bamf
*sprocket-54 tooth for #41 chain- making my winch have a gear ration of 10:54 or 1:5.4
*1'' keyed axle, 1'' pillow blocks, and 1'' hubs for spool walls and sprocket
*mountain bike mechanical disc brake with bigger rotor from bmikarts

Frame / outer body
*44'' x 20'' made from 2x2 14ga. sq. tubing
*24 ga. sheet metal
*10'' wheels, round tubing for handles, welded on eye bolts for securing winch, atv roller fair lead, and lever brake and gas throttle controls
henrification
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: 941

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks badass,so you have the throttle outside of it?
jeff
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Philadelphia

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet chairlift
bs
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah its basically just a 6foot bike brake cable hooked to the carb. I was a little skeptical at first but we tried it out the other day with a rider and works pretty well. cheap, easy, i would recommend it
senza wake
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: SLC

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude! where are you located? i live in holladay/east millcreek area of slc. you look like maybe bountiful area? your winch looks sick man. if you ever need a winching buddy, hit me up!
bs
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: May 11, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

senza wake wrote:
dude! where are you located? i live in holladay/east millcreek area of slc. you look like maybe bountiful area? your winch looks sick man. if you ever need a winching buddy, hit me up!

Yeah man im just a little bit more north up here in cache valley like 80 miles from slc. but me and my buddies are working on a bigger project right now so we will definately hit you up in the summer to come ride with us.

Alright so i finally tried the winch out today and was very pleased. It has a ton of power and deep water starts as fast as a boat however we had to stop early because the chain started loosening...a ton. I used ny-locking nuts on the pillow blocks and engine mount but not threadlocker. So my question is if this is normal for the first water test? Does the chain stretch that much? or is it because i didn't use threadlocker?
EASTWOOD
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: NorhtPalmBeach/Tallahassee

PostPosted: May 11, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done sir Shocked
GOLD!en
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Edwards

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chains stretch. As I'm sure you know, winches need regular maintenance to stay running in top shape so just keep checking everything and keep fresh oil in that mug.
bs
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. should i use an idler sprocket or something else? i have seen some guys use like skateboard wheels and all sorts of stuff... Does it matter? i am just concerned with alinement cause i have learned that very little error there causes a lot of problems
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Winching sponsored by Pulldozer.com All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: