FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

one piece wakeskates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregg
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Killen

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: one piece wakeskates Reply with quote

i was wondering if any company or person has tried to make a single piece wakeskate. what i mean is a wakeskate that is cut out of a massive piece of wood instead of one put together with plys. it seems to me that it would be more durable, get less water loged and and keep its original pop for a longer time. although, it would be more costly.

"Novelty is the cross on which boredom is crucified." - Dada Manifesto
wakeriderof87
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: cen fla

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds heavy
The Pavement 3.6
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Eustis

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah plus it would probaly end up being in the 150-300 dollar range?
kento911
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the laminated plys are stronger, because they cross laminate the grains to give it more tortional strength, plus the resin/glue used to laminate the layers actually helps the skates ability to resist water damage
Matt_French

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an idea that i came up with a while ago...give me some feedback as to how you think this process might work...or what could be done to make it better

I will explain each step as listed per number...

1. Take a peice of ~ 1" thick wood (plywood??? solid??? what do you think would work best) and put horizonal cuts (or scores if you will) about half way through the thickness of the board repeat across the entire length. This will allow the board to bend with ease. The distance between each cut would have to be experimented with.

2. Create a jig to set the boards rocker. You might even think to use an existing wakeskate as a jig.

3. Apply a thick layer of resin to the top of the board that you made all of the grooves in....making sure to fill every gap completely.

4. Use a thin 'vener' type sheet of wood as a top sheet. You can run the grain opposite direction to that of the bottom plank for additional strength.

Then just clamp it in the jig....and let the resin set. When you bend the board into its final shape....you will be sealing the cuts that you made back together.

Trim and sand the board to your liking...and then water seal the entire board with a waterproof Urethane.

I'm not sure if this concept is even do-able. I'm just layin it out...for all ya'll to play it out.

One other idea that i had...was you could play around with the resin material that you use to fill the gaps with...to make the board more flexible or more floaty...you could even add vertical cuts to give the board concave.

What do you think the pros and cons of this design would be...did i just waste my time on this post??? or should i be kicking myself for not getting a patent??? Let me know...

skateplan.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  39.66 KB
 Viewed:  5093 Time(s)

ollieshuvitz
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: east bay area

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might work, just watch your weight.
satori*
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: boca raton

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plywood is infinitely better for many reasons. mostly: stock logs easier, is more expensive, harder to bow, less strong, and heavier.

and Matt_French, the idea is logical but wouldnt be efficient. their are simpler ways to achieve more flex, i dont know if that would be worth it. it would also be weaker. and the flexing and bending of the score walls would push on the laquer, compressing and stretching it, with might cause bubbles or other damage killing the structural integrity of your laminate.
it would definitely be interesting to try and find out for sure though.

gregg
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Killen

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think no matter how you lay the grain of the plywood, a sold piece would be stonger adn not bend as much, because of this you could make it a little thinner so it wouldnt be so heavy

"Novelty is the cross on which boredom is crucified." - Dada Manifesto
satori*
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: boca raton

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they make plywood because its stronger than stock.
concusionfilms
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: austin

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insted of scoring the plywood have you consiidered using a steam box?I've shape a couple of skateboards myself using one and it works great,you can use one jig to set the rocker and another for the concave ,after you sget the rocker and such just trim off the excess and seal thehell out of it
just a thought

kento911
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregg, I agree with satori*, my mother worked for chanmpion lumber for ten years, and when I tried to make my own skateboards back in the day, she made me read all this crap on plywood, and it was basically developed as a stronger, and more affordable alternative to solid stock

Matt_French, your idea is good in theory, but your leverage will be too great on the slits, and after the reisn breaks out the board will only be as strong as the thinnest part, pressing is just soo much more effective and efficent, but you have found the secret to clean radiused rails, thats how I put bends in my rails, by making slits and then bending them together, and welding them

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: