FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Skateboarding Background?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wakeboarderdave87
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: St. Thomas

PostPosted: May 12, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Skateboarding Background? Reply with quote

How many people on here know how to and dont know how to skateboard? If you don't know to skateboard were you able to pick up wakeskating easily(ex. ollies,shuvits, etc...)?
freerider4
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 12, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i skateboad a little, always have dabbled with it but never really got serious about it. I hate how people say if you don't skateboard you are a poser. I mean if they really want this sport to become it's own you should not have to skateboard to wakeskate and then if you don't skateboard your a poser.
thirdcoast
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: @uSTIn

PostPosted: May 12, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to skate back in the early nineties, was never really that good. I used to skate when the boards were huge and only one sided.lol. I've had four knee surgeries so I haven't skateboarded in a long time. to be honest besides the flip tricks and the board not being attached to your feet, the carving action on a wakeskate is a lot like snowboarding (at least with no fins). wakeskating is just rad cause its a huge mixture of all the sports, there are elements of snowboarding, skateboarding, surfing and wakeboarding involved, which in my mind makes it the S@#$!!!!
freerider4
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 12, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your thinking dude.
Parky

PostPosted: May 12, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it when skateboarders who havn't wakeboarded or wakeskated before that think they will be able to stick kickflips first time on a wakeskate... Mad
wakeboarderdave87
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: St. Thomas

PostPosted: May 12, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will it hurt me at all if i dont know how to skateboard?
Parky

PostPosted: May 12, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeboarderdave87, not really... I dont skate and when I do its a difference stance.... You wont hurt u but its a plus if you know how
freerider4
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 12, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeboarderdave87, yeah i feel skating helps me a little even though I am not that good. and according to the cassette team if you don't skateboard you are a poser definitely the only point I do not agree on with them.
wcwakeskater
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Vicksburg

PostPosted: May 12, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can ride a skateboard, but that is about it. i think being able to skateboard will help u get started, but after that there are little things that u have to do different on a wakeskate to get stuff perfect.
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: May 12, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did the cassette team say that? Cole said it, but that's just one person. And they are inspired by skateboarding, but I don't think I've ever heard them say that if you don't skate then you're a poser. So, if anyone else on the team said those words, I'll apologize, but otherwise, I'd suggest you not put words into other people's mouths...

And you don't have to skateboard to be good on a wakeskate. I got the impression from Greg Van Wagnen that he was a bit of a klutz on a skateboard, but he was able to varial flip on a wakeskate. As others have said, skateboarding and wakeskating aren't quite the same thing. For instance, you don't even drag your foot up your deck on a wakeskate when you ollie.

wakebadass
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: McHenry

PostPosted: May 12, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i skateboard, and i think it has hurt my wakeskating a lil, cuz im always tryin to ride it like a skate board and i can never land stuff right. but then again ive only been wakeskating for a lil while so maybe it will come in time
Vance Collins

PostPosted: May 12, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant even stand near a skateboard without falling down, much less stand on that thing!
prior
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: sherman oaks

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been wakeskating for 2 years and just bought my first skateboard in 10 years today. so that's my .02.
Kian
Ollie
Ollie

City: Singapore

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thirdcoast sounds like you and I are probably around the same age..... I used to skate a Powell Peralta mini Hawk, with Airwalks and wore Vision Street Wear... haha... damn funny when you look back at it now... loved cutting the grip tape with that skeleton peeping through.. ahha... one of the more memorable decks was the pink Vallely a buddy of mine skated with.. damn.. i don't even remember the name of trucks we used... there were these ultra-lights and some magnesium alloy from a brand that i get confused with Grind kings.. haha...

agree with your thoughts about wakeskating being a combo of all sorts.. guess that's why we all love it aye... damn i wish i was still 16.. haha... I bought a skateboard last year thinking it might help my game on the wakeskate... but woa.. that skateboard's tiny man... i probably ollie about an inch off the ground.. haha...
Dave Barousse
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kian,
I had those same decks with Vision Street Wear galore! I think the trucks you are thinking of are called GullWings. At least those are the only ones I can think of from back in the day that you would confuse with Grind King. Boy, those were the days! I still watch The Search For Animal Chin quite often.

I personally think that having a skateboarding background will only help your wakeskating. Even if the mechanics of the tricks aren't exactly the same, it still helps you gain board control since neither board is attached to you. If you do skateboard, I think you also tend to have a more skateboarder mentality to your riding and will ride a wakeskate more like a skateboard. It is usually obvious when a rider skateboards and wakeskates. Do you have to skateboard in order to ride a wakeskate good? No. Are you a poser if you don't skateboard? You are probably a poser anyway, so it really doesn't matter. j/k Very Happy
Yuri
Raley

City: orlando

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to skateboard for like 3 years until I stoped and started wakeboarding then a month of that and started wakeskating so here we are. Laughing
thirdcoast
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: @uSTIn

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santa Cruz Tom Knox, flourescent green independent trucks and some big pimpin Santa Cruz Bullet wheels, she's a wall hanger, that gets ridden ever so occasionally. OH yeah, hot pink grip tape, what ya'll know about that old school, biatches.lol. wakeskating is totally a different monster than skateboarding, the only thing that might help your wakeskating from skateboarding is balance, ollie action and like someone said board control. NO you don't have to skate to wakeskate and if you can't skate worth a crap on a skateboard or a wakeskate who cares. For me wakeskating is just about being free, having FUN, being with good friends and doing what you want to do. (the topless chicks on lake austin aren't too bad either!)
tribal
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: whistler/pemberton

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been skating since 75.Not so much anymore as my bones break too easy now.Still shred a mini ramp any chance I get but crete is just too hard for me now.
Electricsnow I tried ollieing my wakeskate yesterday with the front foot sweep for the first time.I was getting way higher than I normally do on my ollie's and they felt oh so sweet.
I think a skating/surfing background helps loads.

electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first "real" deck was a neil blender by G&S, clear grip tape, white gullwing trucks, and powell peralta rat bones wheels (I still have all of that stuff). My friend at the time had the frankie hill bulldog deck from powell...it was a lot of fun to ride. I remeber going to the hobby store with my brother and they had different colors of griptape, like black, flourescent pink, flourescent green, etc. and he thought it was sandpaper. And when I was younger, I went through the whole vsw/airlwalk phase. I still have some vision shirts (and still wear an oversized vision 110% sweatshirt) and I had three pairs of airwalks that I wish I had not given away...but such is life. But I like hearing about this stuff...

Yeah tribal, I've tried that before and for me, it doens't feel right on a wakeskate. I don't know if it's because the board is too big and I'm a short stack, but I don't like it. If you watch some older thomas horrell footage...unfortunately, i can't remember the videos (maybe like the wakeskating in hotdoggin, or possibly linear, or decline, just try the old stuff) then you'll see that thomas used to ollie like that too (and he had snaps). But he doesn't do it anymore, for whatever reason. And basically all wakeskaters I've seen don't drag their foot up (thomas is the only one i've seen do otherwise).

EDIT: Dave, I thought I'd add that in case you didn't know, powell now has all of their classics on dvd, so in case you wanted a nice copy of animal chin (that doesn't cost 50.00:)

stompin9s
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Vail - CO

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started skating 2 years ago AFTER i started wakeskating...it really helped me with my wakeskating and i feel that it has made me progess faster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: