FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Snowskating and Wakeskating....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jama

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Snowskating and Wakeskating.... Reply with quote

I don't follow snowskating very closely and have actually never ridden one, but has it taken off like wakeskating has? Granted, I don't think it will ever take over snowboarding like wakeskating will wakeboarding, but I'm just wondering if there is a sizeable ammount of people who just snowskate. Some people would say it's impractical but I'm sure they said that about wakeskating too, plus with leeshes you don't have to chase them all over the mountain. So, has it taken off?... and if not, do you think it will?
cfxomega
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have two different kinds of snowskates (bi-level and single) and they are both toys...the bi-level is more close to skateboarding obviously, but the things are really hard to control...it took off for about one season when a bunch of pro's were signed to premier (who I believe are the same company as Kampus) and you saw some skating in snowboard videos...it's a fun toy but don't expect too much from it
________
Ecigarette Forum
________
Medical marijuana grow

Last edited by cfxomega on Feb 21, 2011 10:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
mikeskatesonwater

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pffft.....I rode the new libtech and gnu decks they are legit and you can do anything on them.....I snowskate all the time its def legit....
Jimmy T
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea dont expect very much. It is pretty hard and there will never be many people doing it when you can snowboard. And contest wise, itll be just for fun anyway if there are any.
Poo

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive seen more guys doing rals on single decks and more flip tricks etc on bi decks, but i dont think it will take off, for me its just something i tow behind a snowmobile, either that or a wakeskate
JB_CANSKATE
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Markham, Ontario

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i'm allowed to use my bi-level at a ski hill i would not even touch my snowboard for the day. IMO its way more fun but it is deffinately very hard I usually get shutdown after 1 or 2 trips up the lift.

Anything is possible on it you should check out the videos on the GNU website.

Bi-levels are deffinately legit and I think they will get big eventually. Funnest thing to do besides wakeskate.

JB
jordan
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Spectre

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally beleive it will take over snowboarding, I'm sure theres many designs that havent been explored yet, it hasnt taken off because people (as expressed above) think its a toy and just something to do when your not snowboarding (which is some peoples opinion on wakeskating), I have posted a couple of pictures of my riding here before and now I rarely ever pick up a snowboard, only when I dont have a choice to snowskate. The terrain is very different from wakeskating/wakeboarding, when your behind a boat its the same all the time and you get pulled at a speed you like so it dosent matter if your not strapped in, but when you go to a mountain you have double black diamonds, cliffs, different snow conditions different sized tables etc. you have to be very aware of your terrain. Snowskaters are very rare but I have met a handfull of people as passionate about the sport as I am and that can rip double diamonds and pass snowboarders and stuff. Snowskating isnt growing as fast as wakeskating because people arent letting it, you say that its just a toy but that is only because you use it like a toy, if you were ripping a mountain without bindings and actually having to ollie 20+ foot tables then maybe you would think again about snowskating.

(I am talking about bidecking)
ZoSo
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Winnipeg

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I snowskate...I think it's pretty much at the same level, or just below wakeskating right now. It's really just starting to develop, it's really young. People mostly use them at terrain parks...I don't live by any mountains so I mostly go behind a snowmobile...it's the closest thing to wakeskating in the off-season for me.
jordan
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know these have been posted before but for those who havent seen them, I know they arent major but I think they are the only actual photographs I have on my computer.
Bird Dog
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Lacey/Oly WA.

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure i understand why something (snowstaking) should take over some thing else.. (snowboarding)???

it looks like fun and challenging in a different way. and thats what looks like the fun of it, but taking over...

last ime i was on a mountin it seemed pretty big, and looked like enough room for everyone to do there thing..

jordan
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure, but I think (just my opinion) that riding without straps is a great feeling, I know some people like being strapped into their board but Im saying if people realise how fun it is then maybe more people will change over.
Bird Dog
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking its like..
apples to oranges, but...
more like apples to apple sauce...

chriscut
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt snowskating will ever take over snowboarding in the way I feel snowboarding has taken over snow skiing. I do believe that wakeskating has the potential to take over wakeboarding though.. it will be some time for that though. Maybe snowskates will get so advanced that in 20 years they can take over snowboarding Laughing
Jama

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Granted, I don't think it will ever take over snowboarding like wakeskating will wakeboarding

Check what I said Bird Dog...I never said it would. By take over I meant have more interest. Very Happy
Bird Dog
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all good... "more intrest" is more better.
take over sounds so world dominating.

i have friends that ski and have tried snowboarding and just want to ski...
i say cool. some people just dont work the same and for some trying to work on a side angle or surf style... cant.

intrest will go up on all things that lend us more freedom. ie snowskate, wakeskate, multiple wifes...

kento911
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I havent ridden a bideck yet that feels as good as a premier wood deck but thats my opinion, and snow skating is smaller than wakeskating if you can belive that
Traffic113
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Kingston

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think that snowskating is bigger than wakeskating... here it is atleast. I'm like the only one who wakeskates at my school and probably one of the few in my city..
XdrummerX
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually bi-decks will definitely take over single decks on the snow, they are just way more advanced and allow for more possiblities ie. hitting big hills, ranps, and general carving.
I personally snowskated like 10 times at a ski hill near my house before i had ever even touched or rode a snowboard, and i ll tell you right now that snowskating is definitly going to take off, it just has to be expirienced by way more people, like wakeskting is right now.
with Bi-decks you can carve any hill that you want to, even blacks, not as easy as with a snowboard, but after some practice it definitely gets to be way more fun. at my slope i just carve down a hill, and when i get near the end i unhook my leash and throw like a k-flip or shuv, and it is such a good feeling to land this after just carving down a big hill that many noobie snowboarders are falling on Smash Every time i went to the hill all i got asked is "is that thing hard", or "is that thing fun", no one else was doing it there, and i have only seen one other person all the times ive been to the slope snowskating, and he was riding it on his stomach IMO.
Right now i think snowskating just needs to be seen and expirienced by more people. ONly one out of like 12 ski slopes in my area even allows snowskating because the say it is too dangerous for other, but if a leash is worn this statement is basically a joke. As of now i have snowboarded twice total and ill tell you that i probably wont be snowboarding much more if the slope allows skates...

so yea right now
wakeskating > snowskating in terms of participation at least from what ive seen
but id say
wakeskating=snowskating in potential
byronnash
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Charlotte

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been snowskating on a bi-level deck for about 4 years. I've been a snowboarder for about 15. The snowskate is definitely way more fun to cruise around on and I love riding it. The resorts do not like them. I have had very mixed results taking it on the lift. Over time I think they will allow it just like it did with snowboarding 15 years ago. As far as a percentage, snowskating is much smaller as compared to the percentage of wakeskaters to wakeboarders. I don't see the bindings ever going away from either sport. Most people just don't have that kind of determination or confidence. All of us bindless riders just need to ride hard, be respectful, and stay true.

Nice pics jordan!! I can't wait to see shots of snowskaters kickflipping huge tabletops! The shot on the quarterpipe was especially sweet.

mihailja
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't echo enough how great snowskating is... After riding snowboards for years, this is definitely the way to go... And Bi-levels are going to be the way. The concept of the ollie on these is REALLY difficult, but time will tell. Here's a quick photo from me this winter - little frontside air off a qtr pipe...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: