FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

What does it take?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McLOVIN
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: What does it take? Reply with quote

what does it take to get a flow sponser these days i know thats not what skatin is all about... but if i could even get a lil sponser thing with my local shop man that would be my dream lol... right now i got 3 shuvs and bigs pretty cosistent and a whole lot of shuv lip trick variations,, also 270 on and out ,,, but im still workin on a kickflip damn those things
what else is a key trick to have in the bag?
pipo
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: 0172

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Style, fun and one hell of an attitude.
Jonesie
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have a $hitty dream
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats not my only dream lol
McLOVIN
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonesie, thanks for your support Confused Neutral
wakesk8r9610
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarterOG308, its not so much all the tricks you have but more about your attitude towards the sport, how u represent the company
jboss
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Chalmette

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarterOG308, Yea attitude is really important. What I found is that if you focus to hard on learning stuff and trying to get sponsored, you'll get burnt out on wakeskating really fast, cuz it's more like a job than something to have fun with. The same thing happened to me with skating, I focused only on getting hooked up by my shop and after while it got old. I started that way with wakeskating and I felt the same thing happening so I just rode for fun. Now wakeskating is the funnest thing in the world right now. Besides, I found that if you ride for fun, you get beter and learn a lot more than if you only ride to get sponsored or to get good.
McLOVIN
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jboss, yea i am very passionate about wakeskatin i ride from 7am to 9pm almost every day it is the funnest thing in the world to me but i think it would be awesome for a company to recognize you as being a good rider...
but yea it would be alot of pressure
yea ill just ride for funn i definently dont wanna get burnt out on wakeskatin
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a local shop that you support a lot? It helps if you not only have skills, but if they know you and they know you're down for the shop. It's the most basic hook-up you can have, and your shop owner can also be your "in" to regional reps and regional hook-ups. As far as my shop is concerned, the owner is not only focused on skills, but he'll also consider things like potential, attitude (being friendly and humble, not thinking you're the shizzle because you really aren't any better than anyone else, no matter how good you ride, etc), and you also need to be able to promote that shop because that type of relationship is a two way street.

That's pretty much the most basic way to get in. If your shop has a serious team, your next step would be to inquire and see if they want to check out a video of you riding, or try to ride with other people on that shop team. I don't even know if my shop owner has had to check out any videos. He knows, is friends with and has ridden with everyone on the snowboard team, and as far as the skate team is concerned, he's held local comps and spotted talent from there. I also know that one of my co-workers (who is also on the skate team) would try and put in a good word for a couple of the guys that really seemed to have potential.

Anyway, that's that.

McLOVIN
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricsnow, thats exactly what i was lookin for thank you Cool Cool but my local shop is a big company... there use to be a shop like 5min away from my house that i new the owner and everyone that worked there but they went out of business... Crying or Very sad
SoFloSkater

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was wondering the exact same thing, and even tho electricsnow, gave a Perfect explination, im sure a shop would rather sponcer a guy with switch kick flips over a guy who only has 180s just becuase the shop knows the guy with the 180s better..in most cases. but besides a nice style and attidtude, what r some nice tricks to have that will make the shop relly want u on there team?

Last edited by SoFloSkater on Jun 24, 2006 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
freerider4
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good solid handshake. You don't want to kill the bird but you don't want to let the bird fly away at the same time.
electricsnow
cassette

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That post I gave you came from experience, and from the words of my shop owner. There are always kids asking how to get on the shop team. Skating and snowboarding are two talent rich activities and you will need to stand out some how. And while skills will play some role as a determining factor (again, at least with my shop), attitude is huge as well. When describing one of our younger riders to a customer, he said that he may not be the best rider on the hill (though he is talented), he's got a lot of potential and he's a nice kid. That's pretty important because sometimes the owner will suggest that these "inquiring minds" go and ride with people on the shop team, so It's not going to help anyone if you're an a-hole.

Anyway, I've never heard of a set trick list for a shop sponsorship. Make your riding stand out and don't be an jerk.

Yeah, the handshake thing is great advice too. Take it easy, lenny....

surfpunk
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeskate because its fun, not because you want to be good at it. progress naturally, dont try to force it. i havent been wakeskating long, but i have been surfing and skateboarding for 8-9 years and wakeboarding for about 6 (im only 20), and its the same thing. i see people all the time getting burnt out because they take it so seriously. IMO, boardsports werent meant to be competitive and i think that it just kills the stoke thats naturally involved with them.

if you have fun, naturally progress, and start making friends and just being the nicest guy on the lake and talk to everyone you can, a sponorship will come on its own. of course dont expect it to fall in your lap, but dont try to push it either.
VonBoggin
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricsnow, it sucks, like for the shop i want to ride for, Jarrod, he said that he didnt have enough products to sponser me which is total bs. He knows I send people to his shop all the time and they buy products from him. Not only that I also do and he gives me deals but he never really wants to sponser me. I do so much for him its kinda like wtf, but i donno, i like the shop alot i just wish my buddy that worked with him didnt leave because i know he wanted me to ride for them....
electricsnow
cassette

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My shop sponsorship works similar to that--you get a percentage off of your purchases. And if you're a step above that, like super talented, he'll hook you up with local sales reps and you can end up on regional teams or get flow from them. A shop really isn't going to randomly give you stuff, because it's hard for them to make money, too.

Anyway, I'd listen to surfpunk. And Let your riding do the talking.

canalskater

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, ride around. you have to get out there and ride new places with different people. sponsors want to be represented. if u ride with the same group every day they aren't being represented well. the more people your seen by the better your chances at sponsorship is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: