FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Help finding consistancy with 180 shuvs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitlecj
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Help finding consistancy with 180 shuvs Reply with quote

I have been working my 180 shuvits for a few weeks now. I am landing quite a few, but I have no consistancy what's so ever. For example, I landed 6 Friday evening, 3 on Saturday, and 2 on Sunday. What really frustrates me is my last ride yesterday, I tried about 15 and did not land a single one. I land with my feet in good position on about 90% of my attempts but fall out the back, front, or wherever. I thought after Friday night when I was landing about 25-30% of them that I was making progress, then yesterday's last pull, I just couldn't stick them. I feel like I may be just missing something small, because my ollie and board flip feel very solid now, I just can't stick the landing consistantly. Any tips? (Oh by the way, I am 32 so my age may be slowing my learning curve, who knows. I am getting pretty good with my heelside wake to wakes, but the shuvs are just kicking my ass.) Thanks
Cary K.
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: North Carolina

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, sounds like I just typed that. I am having the same trouble. I can stick every one of them one day and go out the next and not stick a single one. Can't figure it out. One tip that helped me from the other post was counting to 3 after cutting out. Really helped me get a rythm. BTW, I'm 33, good to see some of the older guys out there skating.

Any tips?

Jet Pilot
urinal mint
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just got my ollie down and switch, quick question for you two. how high are you having to ollie and are you using aboat or PWC? i only have access to a PWC during the weekdays.

thx
whitlecj
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't feel like I ollie very high at all, but my buddy says I ollie about a foot on my shuvs. I ride behind both a jetski and boat. We mainly go behind the jetski when we are practicing shuvits because it is much quicker to turn around and get going again while we fall like 1000 times. Laughing
Cary K.
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: North Carolina

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too ollie about a foot, then spin the board. I land on my feet on most of them, but either slip back or front. I am getting better about landing with my feet apart too. Really concentrating on keeping the handle in too. It is frustrating to have them solid one day and sketchy the next.

I always ride behind a boat. Don't really have a PWC to use. It is funny too because the days that my shuvs suck, I usually kill it on my W2W tricks. Been sticking floaty HS W2W 180's lately, and getting my TS W2W more consistent and bigger.

Jet Pilot
gate-rider
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitlecj, consistancy olnly comes with time and practice my best tip to you is just keep working on it youl lhave days where youll land alsmost everyone and days where you fall on almost eveyryone you jsut have to keep working on it and youll get it

Ancient Chinese Proverb: " Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish ,feed him for life"
whitlecj
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cary K, you sound exactly like me. Thanks for the advice gate-rider, I normally ride 3 days a week and I make it point to make one run to only practice shuvits. I just feel so close, I thought that it would have clicked by now. Anyway, I think I am going to keep practicing and quit stressing over it so much. Thanks
whitlecj
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landed 4 out of six on my first run today and I was stoked. Next run, don't know what happend but it took me about 10 attempts to land another one. Then I fell then landed 2 in a row to end the day. All and all a great day I guess. I just don't get what happens that makes you miss 10 in a row after landing 4 out of 6 Crazy Eyes
lakeannarider230
Ollie
Ollie

City: lake anna, va

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when u land them just remember what you did, then just learn to get the feel for them
theflyingduck
Ollie
Ollie

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. But peopel watching me in the boat say when I do fall, I look like Im expecting it...

Pretty much you just have to be in the right mindset. I find that when I do land one its because I am totally focused on the trick and the landing. When you try one after another after another you loose the focus...Also when I land one and then get all stoked and go to try another I loose my focus because Im stoked and end up doing something dumb.

Focus, focus, focus. My feet land on the board everytime, I usually end up slipping out or landing with my feet too close together.

seven11dmd
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Northern VA

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitlecj, last summer i was in your position, and then this summer ive just been sticking everything, i dont really know why, it may be my new board, or it may be im just getting better. nick told me to think of it more as a scooping with your back foot, i think that helped a lot.
HatzicScape112
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Abbotsford

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i find its allabout the position of your feet on the board before you pop, if your feet are too waide you won't get the rotation if they are too close the board will eithere pop forward or out to the side. jsut each time you try a pop shuv change your foot position until you land one then remember that and do it eery time. good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: