FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Trick list
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekkie
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Tahiti baby!

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Trick list Reply with quote

Ok, I'm bored and have 2h to kill before I go take a plane, so I tought of starting back up the trick database since the sticky got hijacked Very Happy You guys just reply to add to it and I'll edit this post Very Happy I'll also add tips to each trick and you guys add to it and I'll also edit, maybe we can end up with a pretty decent/complete database ^^

edit: this got longer since I had the laptop on the 22h flight Smash
edit2: just finished some editing and got bored by the end lol, I'll add to it as I get time to kill lol and of course as you guys add feedback!

Basics:

Foot placement:

• Regular: Left foot forward
  • Goofy: Right foot forward

example of goofy stance:

You can have your front foot a bit more forward or backward. Try what feels best but don't go all the way to the nose, or further than the middle of the deck.

Hand position:

Try holding the handle with only one hand when doing tricks. When just riding around, extend that arm to let it rest some. When trying a trick pull the handle to your lead hip with your arm and try keeping it there when you initiate the trick. This will allow you to get some slack as you extend your arm during the trick to get balance.

Wake riding areas and transitions:

Flats: Flat zone away from the wake. Best place to try out new tricks as you can more easily release from the boat tension for a few second.

Edging: You can either edge on your toeside or on your heelside.

Wake to wake: Jumping from one wake to another. You build up speed by first edging out from the wake.
Heelside wake to wake instructions.
Toeside wake to wake instructions.

Inside out: You start inside the wake and edge out to pop an ollie as you take off the lip. Going from the inside to the outside of the wake.

Tips: Try poping the ollie later than you would naturaly do. It seems stupid but really helps getting height on the inside outs.

Re-entry: You start at the bottom of the wake, ride up to the lip, pop your trick, and land back on the same wake you poped from.
Image/Discussion.

• Getting out: Tuck your knees in and wait for the board to be over the water to stand straight.

More indepth information.

• Dock Start: Start a few steps back from the edge of the deck. When ready signal the driver and tell him to start like he would if you were in the water, if not a little srtonger.

More indepth information.

• Ollie: Motion that makes the board follow you in the air as you jump.

Ollie instructions.
    Basics: Stomp your back foot as you bring your front foot up and suck up your knees.
    Tips: Keep the handle close when you initiate the ollie, *stomping* with the front foot just before you pop off your back foot. It helps dig the board deeper in the water before the ollie to get more response.

Rotations:

Frontside: you start your rotation by opening your chest forward.
Backside: you start your rotation by throwing your back forward.

• Ollie Frontside 180: You rotate half a turn frontside.

Basics: pop your ollie and pass the handle to your back hand as you rotate frontside.
    Tips: keep the handle close when you initiate the trick. Open your chest after you have poped off the water for more control. I like to start with only my lead hand on the handle and do the pass in mid air. Helps to be more in control and to turn it late.
    Don't forget to put the pressure back on your lead foot (right for goofy) after the ollie for the switch landing. If you fall on your ass on that trick then you put too much pressure on that foot on the landing.

• Ollie Backside 180: You rotate half a turn backside. Also called blind 180 if you land without a handle pass.

Discussion.
    Basics: pop your ollie and pass the handle to your back hand as you rotate backside.
    Tips: keep the handle close when you initiate the trick. Try not looking at your feet but rather over your back shoulder ^^ If your head is looking down you will most likely slipout on your toes on the landing. So keep that head up and as you start spining be ready to look towards where you'll be going after the rotation.
    Most of the time you fall you will slip out on your back with only your lead foot on the board. While in the air try putting more weight on your back foot to keep the board level.

• Ollie Frontside 360: You rotate a full turn frontside.

Discussion.
    Basics: pop your ollie and do a full turn frontside with a handle pass on the second 180.
    Tips: add to it guys!

• Ollie Backside 360: You rotate a full turn backside.

Discussion.
    Basics: pop your ollie and do a full turn backside with a handle pass on the first 180.
    Tips: add to it guys!

• Body varial: Either frontside or backside, your body does the rotation but not the board.

Tips: Jump off of your front foot instead of your back foot.

• Caballerial or full cab: The name given to a fakie ollie 360. Can be either frontside full cab or backside full cab.

• Half cab: The name given to a fakie ollie 180. Can be either frontside half cab or backside half cab.

• Wake to wake Frontside 180: Edge to the wake either toeside or heelside and turn a frontside 180.

Basics: It is easier to learn heelside. Edge to the wake as you would for a regular w2w. Don't hold back! Open up your chest as you go up and take your lead hand off the handle. Spin on your way down and land with your weight on your toes.
    Tips: Just try and do a nose grab, you will naturaly spin the frontside 180 since your are taking your lead arm off the handle for the grab. This also helps to stay more compact during the trick. Look at the shore on your landing as it helps being more on your toes. While in the air try to push on your heels so that the board is pushed to your feet by the wind.

• Wake to wake Backside 180: Edge to the wake either toeside or heelside and turn a backside 180.

Heelside wake to wake backside 180 instructions.
    Basics: It is easier to learn heelside. Edge to the wake as you would for a regular w2w. Don't hold back! Lead the backside rotation with your hips and try to do the handle pass at mid-jump. Spin on your way down and land with your weight on your toes.
    Tips: add to it guys!! out of my league for now Laughing

• Wake to wake Frontside 360: Edge to the wake either toeside or heelside and turn a frontside 360.

• Wake to wake Backside 360: Edge to the wake either toeside or heelside and turn a backside 360.

• Wake to wake Frontside 540: Edge to the wake either toeside or heelside and turn a frontside 540.

• Wake to wake Backside 540: Edge to the wake either toeside or heelside and turn a backside 540.

Grabs:

• Airwalk: This trick can be done with or without grabbing the nose; once in the air the front foot is kicked out and the back foot is kicked back so they are in a walking type position

• Backside grab or melon or melancholy or mosquito: Grabbing heel edge with your front hand while airing forward or backside

• Beni-Hana: A grab in which, after the ollie is initiated, the front foot pulls the board as far forward as possible, the back foot is left to hang in the air, and the back hand grabs the tail of the board before pulling it back under the skater's two feet.

• Christ air: Once in the air, go into the crucifix position, holding the board out to the side with one hand.

• Indy: When either airing forward or backside, grab your toe edge with your back hand and poke your nose out.

• Japan: A mute grab, tweaked frontside 90.

• Judo: Grab heel edge near the front with your front hand and kick your front foot off in front of you.

• Lien air: Grabbing heel edge while airing frontside *Invented by Neil Blender who said you have to lean into it, though nowadays it is spelled as Neil's first name written backwards.

• Madonna: Grab heel edge near the front wheel with your front hand and kick your front foot off behind you; Tony Hawk himself named this one after a singer as trendy as the trick itself...

• Mute: Grab your toe edge with your front hand while airing backside *named after Chris Weddle, a deaf mute known for being one of the first skaters to execute this trick.

• Nose grab: Grab your nose with your front hand.

• Roastbeef: Grab your heel edge with your back hand, in front of your back leg.

• Stalefish: Grab your heel edge with your back hand, behind your back leg.

• Tail Grab: Grab your tail with your back hand.

• Tuck knee: Grabbing your toe edge right near the back wheel with your back hand and pulling the board back as you push your knees forward.

Liptricks:

The name of the liptrick will be made of two parts. First one is how you approach the obstacle (rail or wake) and the second part is how your board is going over that obstacle to slide it.

• Frontside lip tricks: You approach with the obstacle in front of you.

• Backside lip tricks: You approach with the obstacle in your back.

• Lipslide: Your tail goes over the obstacle and the board slides between your feet.

• Boardslide: Your nose goes over the obstacle and the board slides between your feet.

• 50-50: You slide with your board aligned with the obstacle.

• Nose and tail slides: Only your nose or your tail is in contact with the obstacle. You need special fins to do those.

• Bluntslide: A slide on the tail or nose with the opposite end of the board pointing up and towards the obstacle.

Shuvits:

A shuvit is when the board is spinning under the rider during an ollie or a wake to wake. It spins either frontside or backside, like rotations. So for a goofy footer during a backside 180 shuvit the board will do half a turn counter clockwise.
Main shuvits:

• Ollie frontside 180 shuvit: The board does a frontside 180 rotation during an ollie.

Ollie frontside 180 shuvit instructions.

• Ollie backside 180 shuvit: The board does a backside 180 rotation during an ollie.

Ollie backside 180 shuvit instructions.

• Ollie frontside 360 shuvit: The board does a frontside 360 rotation during an ollie.

• Ollie backside 360 shuvit: The board does a backside 360 rotation during an ollie.

Ollie backside 360 shuvit instructions.

• Bigspin: Can be either frontside or backside, trick in which the skater and his board both rotate along a vertical axis, but the skater rotates 180 as the board rotates 360 *Alfonso Rawls named this trick after its inventor, Brian Lotti. Rawls thought Lotti sounded like lottery, and since the board was spinning so much during the trick he named it after the California Lottery's Big Spin.

• Castarial: Combination of a backside shuvit with a frontside body varial. Also called a small spin.

• Wake to wake frontside 180 shuvit: Edge either toeside or heelside and have the board do a frontside 180 rotation during the wake to wake. The board is usualy grabed indy after the shuv to help on the landing.

• Wake to wake backside 180 shuvit: Edge either toeside or heelside and have the board do a backside 180 rotation during the wake to wake. The board is usualy grabed indy after the shuv to help on the landing.

Toeside wake to wake backside 180 shuvit to indy instructions.

• Wake to wake frontside 360 shuvit: Edge either toeside or heelside and have the board do a frontside 360 rotation during the wake to wake. The board is usualy grabed stalefish after the shuv to help on the landing.

• Wake to wake backside 360 shuvit: Edge either toeside or heelside and have the board do a backside 360 rotation during the wake to wake. The board is usualy grabed stalefish after the shuv to help on the landing.

Watch Flatline for a good demo of that trick Wink

Flips:

• Kickflip: The rotation of the board around its lengthwise axis as a result of kicking your front foot off the heeledge of your board.

Kickflip instructions.

• Heelflip: The rotation of the board around its lengthwise axis as a result of kicking your front foot off the toe edge of your board.

• Varial flip: Combination of a backside 180 shuvit and a kickflip.

Varial flip instructions.

• Twisted flip: Combination of a varial flip and a frontside body varial, also called a castarial flip.

• Hard flip: Combination of a frontside 180 shuvit and a kickflip.
    Tips: *Nick Taylor: It helps to have a really solid frontside 180 shuvit and be consistent on landing them.

• Frontside flip: Combination of a frontside 180 and a kickflip.
    Tips: *Nick Taylor: Frontside flips are easiest if you pop them really high, allowing you to "catch" the board with your feet and spot the landing early.

• Backside flip: Combination of a backside 180 and a kickflip.
    Tips: *Nick Taylor: Similar initial motion as a varial flip, but about 1/4 to halfway through the kick, turn your body for the backside 180

• Sex change: Combination of a frontside body varial and a kickflip.
    Tips: *Nick Taylor: It is essential to this trick that you be able to keep the board pointing straight and to keep the board under you.

• 360 flip: Combination of a backside 360 shuvit and a kickflip.
    Tips: *Nick Taylor: The trick to getting a consistent rotation on the 360 flip is to focus more on the spinning the backside 360 shuvit than on the kickflip. Very gnar.

• 360 hard flip: Combination of a frontside 360 shuvit and a kickflip.
    Tips: *Nick Taylor: It is very hard to get the kick and the full frontside 360 shuvit, but it is easiest when you "push" the frontside 360 shuvit out in front of you more using your heel on your back foot.

• Frontside big flip: Combination of a frontside bigspin and a kickflip.
    Tips: *Nick Taylor: Good foot placement is necessary to completing this very technical maneuver. Once again, the main focus while trying this trick should be on spinning the Big spin, not the kickflip. nick, what foot placement do you recomend? Wink

• Backside big flip: Combination of a backside bigspin and a kickflip.
    Tips: Waiting on Reed Hansen ^^

It is very important that you all give feedback on this and add to it as much as possible to make it complete Very Happy Add to it with links to threads discussing a specific trick for exemple or with more info for the basics / tips section for each trick. I just started by doing the basic ones, but each trick could use some more definition/tips. Also if you have a good shot or sequence to illustrate a trick, please post it Very Happy

thx Nick Taylor for the added info!

Last edited by Nekkie on May 23, 2006 4:54 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
numb
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: silver lake

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you cant cab anything in wakeskating....just to let you know
Schimkat
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Dunedin/Orlando

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a "Little" spin?
BillyOLDS
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: orlando/winterpark

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

numb, switch 180's w2w or off a ramp we call cabs
urinal mint
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS
one-eyed sailor551
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: mahopac

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekkie, you have too much time on your hands Laughing but yea having a trick list again is nice

"Im against picketing but i dont know how to show it"
jboss
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Chalmette

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekkie, holy crap dude this is awesome, how long did this take you? i would never have the patience to do something like this.
SamHill
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Lacey

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. Congrats on the Dillegence.
Nekkie
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, it had to be done at some point lol

numb, I was thinking the same, but then realized that we do cabs all the time in ramps or on snowboards, so why not Very Happy

jboss, took a few hours lol, but as I said I had 22h to kill Laughing

I'll look up the little spin on some skate sites to see if there's some background to it... A frontside little spin for you is like a frontside 180 shuv with a frontside body varial or a back shuv with a frontside bv ?

Backside 180
Backside 180

City: mahopac

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekkie, you said you had 2 h to kill Laughing

but your patience and attention to detail put me to shame Crying or Very sad

NERD!!!!!! Laughing

"Im against picketing but i dont know how to show it"
Nekkie
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one-eyed sailor551, hahaha

look at the edit!! Very Happy

I had a laptop for a 22h flight, so yeah you get bored quickly and need to find some sort of occupation. This was fun to do for like the first half hour, then it got tedious but I had gone too far and just had to get done with it Laughing

I'll try to add more tips on the tricks I can actually do lol.

Nick, come post some detailed tips on hard flips, front flips, back flips, flips and biggies Very Happy

all you guys can help, even if you only pull frontside 180, maybe you noticed something that really helped you land those and that isn't mentioned there. It could help many others too

Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekkie, I think you should have Nick and anyone else PM you with their tip, so that you can put it into your original post, that way everyone doesn't have to scroll through all of the posts to get to other tricks not listed. Or maybe Dave could just put this up as an HTML page or maybe as a WIKI instead of being in the forums.
-=AlexXx=-
Pillage & Plunder

City: yes

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good post man,what about a lip trick section? there is a never ending list of lip tricks Smile haha
Nekkie
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about that, like a combo section.

But with all the definitions here you can imagine any kind of lip tricks.

I will probably list all the *classic* lip tricks combo so people can post tips on them. Next time I got time to kill huhu

So yeah guys come on add to it and post some tips Very Happy

Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy crap thnx

u have 2 much patience
nick
Island Rat

City: Honokowai

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Hard flip: Combination of a frontside 180 shuvit and a kickflip. It helps to have a really solid frontside 180 shuvit and be consistent on landing them.

* Frontside flip: Combination of a frontside 180 and a kickflip. Frontside flips are easiest if you pop them really high, allowing you to "catch" the board with your feet and spot the landing early.

* Backside flip: Combination of a backside 180 and a kickflip. Similar initial motion as a varial flip, but about 1/4 to halfway through the kick, turn your body for the backside 180

* Sex change: Combination of a frontside body varial and a kickflip. It is essential to this trick that you be able to keep the board pointing straight and to keep the board under you.

* 360 flip: Combination of a backside 360 shuvit and a kickflip. The trick to getting a consistent rotation on the 360 flip is to focus more on the spinning the backside 360 shuvit than on the kickflip. Very gnar.

* 360 hardflip: Combination of a frontside 360 shuvit and a kickflip. It is very hard to get the kick and the full frontside 360 shuvit, but it is easiest when you "push" the frontside 360 shuvit out in front of you more using your heel on your back foot.

* Frontside Big flip: Frontside bigspin with a kickflip incorporated into the spin. Good foot placement is necessary to completing this very technical maneuver. Once again, the main focus while trying this trick should be on spinning the Big spin, not the kickflip.

* Backside Big flip: A backside bigspin with a kickflip incorporated into the spin. Ask Reed Hansen Wink

Kickflip
Kickflip

City: orlando/winterpark

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3flip?
nick
Island Rat

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye...
Frontside Bigspin

City: Yay Area

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Taylor, have you landed the fs big flip and 360 hardfilp? i didnt think anyone could dothose yet
nick
Island Rat

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakemitch, Not yet, but close...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: