FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

good surfing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Other Boardsports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg van wagnen
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Columbus

PostPosted: Nov 25, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: good surfing? Reply with quote

ok i suck at surfing. i can stand up on the board and then get killed by the wave. my question is how do you actualy ride the wave? like go along the side of it instead of getting eaten by it.
Parky

PostPosted: Nov 25, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how big r the waves ur hiting and also when r u getting eatin up? can u get up? is the waves curlin on u?
greg van wagnen
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Nov 25, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the waves are like as big as me or so. i can stand up n just stand there on real lil ones but thats gay. i dont think the wave is curling on top of me i think i might just be getting up wrong on the big waves. any sugestions, or explamations of the correct way to get up on normal size waves?
Parky

PostPosted: Nov 25, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok like just before the wave comes at u paddle like a mo fo then give like 3 big puddles when ur on the wave then place one foot on the board then the other. then ur up! one tip. dont be in a hurry to get up wait untill ur riding the wave like a boggie board then stand
freerider4
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Nov 25, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catching a wave is like an art it can not realy be taught how to know what waves are the best or when to slow your paddle down or speed it up but here is a littl trick if you are surfing a shortboard, to get up when u see the wave and u are getting ready to start paddling with your board in front of you pull it down like you are trying to make it launch in the air and let it come up but don't let go of it when it comes up it will be like a little boost then paddle very hard andwhen almost catching the wave give some kicks with your feet. now getting up it should all be one fluid motion when doing the pop up what u want to do is when u start pushing up with ur arms start arching ur back upwards which will make it a lot easier and then pop up and bring ur knees up and land in the middle of the board. a good way to practice this is a piece of tape in the middle of the floor and trying to land on the tape everytime with a good spread out stance but not to spread out you don't want to look like you surfing a 45 foot wave when it is really 4 foot. and turning just basically shift ur weight and don't worry about getting in the tube it's a very rare occurence here in florida thta u get a tube that is worth talking about.
tribal
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: whistler/pemberton

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want to kick with your feet this actually slows you down.You want to be as far over the front of your board as you can be without pearling the nose.To keep the nose up you must arch your back and to keep the weight forward you want to have your knees bent with your toes pointing at the sky.Of course timing and practice not to mention the shape of the wave come into play here but generally you want your weight as far over the front of the board as possible as your paddling into the waves your body leaning same angle as wave.As you feel yourself picked up and start planing then you can straighten your legs which will bring the weight to the back of the board and slow you down then jump to your feet.If you straighten your legs to soon the wave will blow past you.Hope this works for you.
nick
Island Rat

City: Honokowai

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg van wagnen, where do you ride at?
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have only gone 2 times and it was at second light
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Other Boardsports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: