FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Filming equipment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Media and Technology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sinkoumn
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Minneapolis

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Filming equipment Reply with quote

I'm just looking into some videocameras to use in filming riding (plus other stuff, primarily use for riding though). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what they use, or have used for a reasonably priced camera that can be hooked up to my comp and edited with Adobe Prem Pro. I've been looking around, and it seems like a lot of them have digi cams built in, not needing the digi cam feature or the extra cost usually with that I just wanted to get some input from yall.
Thanks much
MSO

ps. price range is about $350-$750 for a v-camera
kento911
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinkoumn, talk to sleu crew
SleuCrew
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Oak Grove

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first off, what is your price range? If you can tell me what you want to spend i can help you pick out a camera that will be best for your needs.

I primarily shoot with my Panasonic DVX-100a its better than the Canon XL1 in my book, i have a Canon GL1 that i use as my backup camera as well as a Sony TRV-950... You can pick up a GL1 or the TRV-950 for about $1000 - $1300 they are both really nice 3CCD cameras. but i dont know if that is in your price range.

Let me know what you want to spend and i can put you in the right direction for a camera that will suit your needs.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT BUY A CAMERA FROM BROADWAY PHOTO OR ANY OF THOSE OTHER ONLINE SHOPS WITH WITH UNBELIEVABLE PRICES... THEY ARE A RIP OFF AND WILL TOTALLY SCREW YOU OVER!

Jonesie
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Filming equipment Reply with quote

Sinkoumn wrote:
ps. price range is about $350-$750 for a v-camera

Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would watch ebay for things like a Sony trv-900 or a PDX10 these are both kick ass cameras, they both have manual and auto functions. OR you might be able to get a deal on a VX1000 but thats going to be closer to the 900-1000 range but this camera shoots awesome video,

Panasonic PV-DV1000 this is a great little camera but it has no lcd screen so you must shoot through the eye piece.

there are alot of great cameras out there, i you try to make sure you got something that was 3ccd... but just dont go cheap and if a deal seems too good to be true then it usually is, i hear stories about people getting ripped off on the net all the time so be careful... there are alot of shady people in the camera industry.

If you find something that catches your eye feel free to PM me and i can take a look if you would like.

fish
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is not really a wise suggestion. i am assuming that this is your first camera to film riding and what not. why would u suggest to start with a PD???????? Even the trv 950 is pushing it. it is stupid to start on a 3 chip. start off with a sony TRV series, like a trv 38 or 22 for example. or another great camera to begin with a lot of manual control is the canon optura 10 or 20. do not start out with a 3 chip camera.
SleuCrew
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm.. why not start with a 3ccd cam? you will just find out that you bought a camera that dsent do the things you want it to do it six months... and then find out that you lost your ass of by buying a cheap camera.

And hes not using Windows Movie maker, so obviously he is trying to step it up to do something more than back yard filming. buy a quality camera that will last and you will be happy with for a few years.

You have no basis to argue not buying a 3ccd camera, even if you dont know how to use the manual functions you will still shoot better video in auto modes, and you can learn the manual functions over time.

fish
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first off, just because he isnt using window movie maker doesnt mean anything, he could get premiere on kazaa. second, i dont believe he needs the quality of a 3 chip right away. instead he can get a good quality miniDV cam with manual options like the cano optura 10 or 20 and then use extra money for some cheap underwater housing like the ewa-marine housing and possibly a fisheye witch will give him more versatility with his filming. all i am saying is, that he could first start off with a good miniDV cam. it is smaller, less expensive and easier to learn on and also a cheap housing. if he gets a 3 chip right away and uses it in program mode he will never learn the correct way to set his exposure and white balance which is important with filming espescially with the difficult lighting situations presented when filming wakeboarding or wakeskating. i am just saying that i dont think he will need the 3 chip quality right off the bat.
SleuCrew
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i can argue facts with you all day long... i have been doing video for 6+ years and been doing it as my job primarily for the past 3. Also the less expensive housing would be a Epic, and they offer then for all cameras for less than the EWA, also people very rarely use fish eyes in the wake industry anymore...

Different strokes for different folks... but i still stand behind buying a 3ccd cam and teaching yourself how to use it, it really isint that hard to learn and you will be much happier with your final product...

anyways im off to go ride...

fish
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, sorry man, i didnt mean to fight with you or anything. and thats really cool that you work in video for a living. you said you film with a DVX primarily? i love that camera, i shoot with a sony vx21. and i do see where you are coming from.

peace
satori*
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: boca raton

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a little canon elura mini dv (under 400$), which has good quality for not 3ccd. i edit with avid and it's all i need. i've shot with gl2's and the 3ccd's have a very noticeable quality advantage, but if you're only planning on filming as a hobby i don't see the need in dropping the extra cash.
BillyOLDS
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: orlando/winterpark

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just had a jvc 720, that worked great until i had it for 4years worth of filming and now my heads are done so im gna get a new one. i use final cut pro and imovie...wat would uyou recomand for arounf 500hundred or less?
scott a
"a" is for angel

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SleuCrew wrote:
my Panasonic DVX-100a its better than the Canon XL1 in my book
...well i'd hope so...the XL-1 is a >5 year old camera and has since been replaced (twice), while the DVX is brand new Wink

have you used an XL-2?

SleuCrew
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon XL1s i had was a great camera and i got a ton of great use out of it... the reason i use that as a example is because i have had a million hours on both cameras. But really until the XL2 the XL1 was pretty much the staple for high end DV.

I haven't had a ton of time with the XL2 so i cant really make a judgment about it, but... im sure it is a great camera, considering the XL1s i had was a great camera.

Scott do you own a XL1 or a XL2?

scott a
"a" is for angel

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been on an XL-1 since march of '99 (so says the inside of the battery terminal/slot/placewhereyoustickthebattery). after reading about the XL-2 i really wanna get onto that, but seeing how im a broke college student and the XL-2 run around $5K, i dont think that will be happening any time soon. im just gonna have to make due with my poorly focusing 16x lens and (comparitively) crappy viewfinder Laughing
SleuCrew
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, yeah the XL1s has a crappy view finder... i did like the XL2 how it has the nice mini lcd that was really clear in b/w or color.

There is actually a place in town here that has DVX-100a's for $2900 they are b stock but still a kick ass deal... and they are a reputable dealer.

scott a
"a" is for angel

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blah. i havent used a DVX, but i (well, my dad) have a GL-1 and ive used that a bunch, and i have to say that im really a fan of heavier cameras. the reason for this is that if you have a heavier camera it takes more energy to keep them steady, but it also takes more energy to move them. basically what im saying is that i can get a steadier shot out of my XL-1 than i have from a GL-1, GL-2, or VX2000 (ive used these cameras). i just recently finished a vid from the pwt in irvine that is going to be posted on the front page of wb.com, and it has a few shots that i only got because i was using an XL-1.
SleuCrew
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, let me know when the video is up, i dont ever cross over to wb.com... and i totally agree with the weight factor, the DVX is weighted really nice and its easy to keep steady and have really smooth pans in you hand, i also have a shoulder mount that i use when im not working on a tripod.

The VX2k is a little better for weight vs. the GL1 or GL2 the GL1 was too light imo and the GL2 was even worse...

Let me know when your flick is up though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Media and Technology All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: