FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Thomas Horrell Interview - Part One
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Wilson
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: lighthouse point

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is awsome .
Mr. Top Hat
Dead

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its pretty neat. lol. neat
SleuCrew
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Oak Grove

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh... the good ole days. These articles are like little mental scrap books and one of the few things that actually make me proud to be old and haggard. I am not 100% on this but i think Thomas and most everyone were riding donated cut down Double Up's. I havent seen The Messer in about two years but im pretty sure he still rides the cut down Double up every now and then, i know Collin "Wright" still has one in his parents garage and i know our buddy Keith still rides his cut down Double Up to this day. The first skate i rode was a cut down Doube Up with FWT " It was Collin's" I wish i still had mine. Those boards were actually pretty fun to ride. I remember my first surface 720 i thoguht i was the shizzle!

On another note, For those of you who have never had the pleasure of meeting Thomas he really is one of the nicest and funniest people i have ever spent time with. Somewhere amongst a pile of 500,000,000 old digital8 tapes i have some footage of Thomas and a few of us on the old LF winnie, I will never forget him pulling this purple shiny glitter looking womens shirt out of his bag "that was about 3 sizes too small for him" and trying to act really cool and profile the "pimp shirt... if thats what you want to call it. I would love to find it and post it on here. But... he made me promise that i would destroy the film and never show it to anyone. And i am always true to my word. Well at least not to show it to anyone.

Sorry for the long post... all this old stuff just makes my jaw hurt from the perma-grin these old memories bring back.

itch
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Battle Creek

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too remember those days, I remember the first time I met Thomas he was about to win the worlds his hair was bleeched and looked like it had been cut with a weed wacker.
itch

www.integrity-wake.com
www.cdifins.com
Nekkie
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Tahiti baby!

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great interview dave, thanks for bringing nice stuff like that to the site!! Razz

And thomas = respect ^^

cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that boardumb came out in 1998...but I'm not positive. It's a fun vid and thomas got served on some acid drops off of someones boat house...or whatever those floridians call them. And then the dance off ensued....
David Legler
linear perspective

City: Durham

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave, in the next two chapters, are there going to be more pictures??
Raven
3 Shuv Reed Texas Gap

City: OC

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my dog
integrity640
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Ocala

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he mustve had cheese on his mind....mmmm.. grilled cheese sounds good right now Very Happy

AnchorsAwayWake <======check it
Dave Barousse
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hey Dave, in the next two chapters, are there going to be more pictures??

No, that is all of the pictures. It took a lot of work to get permission to use the ones I have posted. We actually had to leave some out becasue we could not get permission to publish them.
BillyOLDS
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: orlando/winterpark

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is that publishing them? parky put up the cover of wbm one time, is that bad to do?
crackerjack
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Salisbury

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas is a great human being.....If it wasn't for him I would not be wakeskating today. I was raised on the lake. My family has a picture of me at less than a year old in the my parents first Nautique. I skied for the first time when I was 3 and went on to win state champ several times in various points of my childhood/adolesence. By the time wakeboarding came out I had totally burnt myself out on comps and sking in general. My dad was pissed but still glad to have me around the boat. I got a Neptune Impala in 96 and rode all the time. By now I was spending massive amounts of time on the water during 97-98-99 summers. There was a whole crew of wakeboarders and several tow specific boats and we rode all the time. This is when I first remember wakeskating. There would be shots in mags and people getting out on a bindingless deck to fool around after a day of wakeboarding. My club decided to get some FWT pads and we started fooling around with it more and more. In 1999 I got a Collin Wright DoubleUp and right away my friend and I took our old wakeboards down to the local skate shop and asked if they could grip them. (talk about being shot a funny look) Wakeskating was ALL about fun at this point. After this, things started getting harry...people moved away, friends quit riding, people had to get jobs. A day at the lake wasn't quite what it used to be. I am bumed out and pissed off with the wakeboarding world and all of its contests and sponcership deals and who's hot and this whole time Thomas was just out there doing his own thing. He'd talk a little crap and he'd make a little fun but reguardless he ALWAYS held his own. The first time I saw him ride a wakeskate in a video changed my entire perspective. I can't totally explain why but after that I lost my desire to strap in. I would still do it from time to time but only after I had gotten a couple of sets on my skate. Most people really were not feeling wakeskating in those days. You could tell boat drivers would get annoyed every time you feel. Nobody was really taking it seriously. I didn't care. I was having fun. In 2001 I got my first cassette 41 and have ridden it every summer (and sometimes winter too) until I got a 4 trac for the summer of 04. Things are different than they used to be, but now, thanks to thomas...all it takes is my deck, shoes, a pull, and six inches of flat water to make my life immediately better.
BillyOLDS
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: orlando/winterpark

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crackerjack, the first half of ur story sounds like parks lol

i owe my wakeskating adventures to josh kirby...and the fact that i got a jet ski
David Legler
linear perspective

City: Durham

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last spring break, I went to Destin, Fl, and I went to the Innerlight store. I got talking to one of the guys who worked up there about wakeskating, well he came to realize that I am obsessed with wakeskating, so he went to the back and brought out what i believe to be the 2nd cassette concave ever made(might have been first, but probably second one). Unfortunatly i didn't have a digital camera to take a picture of it, I only had my camera phone. But what I guess I am trying to say is that it was pretty sweet to get to see one of the first concave skates ever made. If i can ever figure out how to get the pictures from my phone to my computer, i'll post it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: