FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

mainstream?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haggard7
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: mainstream? Reply with quote

so today i was having a conversation with my manager at work and he asked me these questions and i couldnt give him an exact answer, it was based on these two questions.....has wakeskating gone mainstream and lost its underground appeal, and have pros lost their credibility?

i didnt know what to say, i dont need an answer i just thought it be a good a good topic to ask all you guys..so what do you think?, has it gone mainstream and have pros lost their credibility?

-=AlexXx=-
Pillage & Plunder

City: yes

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thinks its gone mainstream, like take a look at Alliance Wakeboard mag. some issues are full of wakeskating some time more then wakeskating. Like the Oct/Nov one is like almost all wakeskating i was amazed when i saw it. So i do think that it has gotten alot more popular... yet most people still have never heard of it... i donno what t say about the pros credibility though.
scott a
"a" is for angel

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeskating is mainstream within the wakeboarding world, but there are still lots of people that have heard of wakeboarding but dont have a clue what wakeskating.
s34n
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Charleston Lake

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakeskating is definetely NOT mainstream, in my area at least. I said this before, when i wear my integ shirt no one has any idea what a wakeskate is. some of you other guys are talking about your wakeskate clubs you have or want to start, and it seems no more than 10 in your schools wakeskate either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Morphine
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: 706omg

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One in my school wakeskates, and it's me. I'm trying to open it up to more people so I can have someone to ride with.
Mr. Top Hat
Dead

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not mainstream and i hope it doesnt become mainstream for a while. Right now most wakeskaters ride because they truly love it. When it becomes mainsteam there will be many posers that just ride to be cool. Although keeping it underground will not spread wakeskating, it will keep it true.
bevan
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: wollongong australia

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in australia it is basicly non existent. i only know of one other guy who wakeskates and thats coz he has a screwed back and cant wakeboard anymore. wakeskating isnt mainstream
________
Girlfriend pic

Last edited by bevan on Feb 18, 2011 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
CABLERIDER
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: lighthouse point

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morphine, same at my school, and one other person does but he didn't like it and i took him anyway.

In the wakeboarding world it is mainstream but everywhere else it is not(if comparing it to how many peoplle know what wakeboarding is)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think wakeskating is FAR from being mainstream. I think scott a sumed it up perfectly, so read his post and pretend I said it Very Happy

As for the "have the riders lost credibility" bit, that's a really weird question. From my perspective, there are a few for me that have lost crediblity, due to the fact that they aren't really taking responsiblity for what they're putting out there, and they don't really think about what they're supporting. Others may not care about this, but I do and that's what i based it on. Quite frankly, I feel like these wood bottomed/foam concave boards are a step back in time...

Ooohhh, political, what a surprise Very Happy

tribal
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: whistler/pemberton

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakeskating is about as far away from mainstream as you can get were I live though it is starting to slowly gain in popularity.At least some people know what it is now.
As far as pro's losing credibility I think wakeskating is way too far in it's infancy still for this.We have only really had pro's around for a couple years and the pool is only starting to grow to it's potential.Progression has been going off so I would say that makes them pretty credible.
As long as wakeskating stays away from those water-ski folk that seem to have taken over wakeboarding it's alright in my eye's.

PIRATE

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricsnow, true true true.........

i totally agree with you and i also think that some riders loose there credibility because they put there name on lame $hit, i dont agree with you about the whole concaved foam top cause heres why, i thin the best thing about wakeskating is that it cost 1/10 of what it cost to wake board, and i know there are alot of kids who cant aford a new deck but want to try it out, do i think that its cheesy yes, but i can see that some one new might not want to drop $300 on a new skate.

also PROS when are you guys going to realize that you compramis your credibility when you put your name on gay crap i dont need to be specicic but cough cough hype riders cough cough. YOU COMPRIMISE YOUR SPIRIT WHEN YOU COMERCIALIZE YOUR HEART.

in my town right know there are a handfull of people who are into wakeskating/wakeboarding. but the only person who wakeboards is brian francis, and lately hes been skating so i think that its tight, but when i go to california and i go in some of the shops there they still treat wakeskating like wakesurfing, (something to do when you cant tie yourself to your board). ok im dun ranting about nothing, but i just want to get one more jab in there, are sport will turn gay if people dont take a stand against gimicks (the lock, the gate, hate to say it but 4-track) ITS TIME WE TAKE A STAND i had to throw that last one in there cause i didn't want to be a hater, but you have to admit when you first saw the 4 track you thought ooohhhhh i'll be able to do noseslides Laughing boy were you wrong huh, cant board slide a deck that wieghs 20 lbs (from H2O loging) and delams Confused
PIRATE

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang that was longer then i thougt.... sorry
numb
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: silver lake

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 4-tack wasnt a gimmick, and it does give u the ability to do noseslides. i thoguht it might be harder then it looked but it really wasnt
hammer49
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: longwood

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for real, i was bs tail sliding in no time. 4 trac 4 life
RED
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm...skip the essays and answer the question.

Q: "Is wakeskating main stream?"

A: NO
scott a
"a" is for angel

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RED, perhaps you skipped over this part of his post...
Jacob wrote:
i dont need an answer i just thought it be a good a good topic to ask all you guys

i'd much rather read a bunch of essays to see what people think rather than see a bunch of "yes" and "no" answers. reading essays allows you to see where people come from and how they arrive at their conclusions. it seems as though jacob created this thread to start a discussion, not to prove a point.

BillyOLDS
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: orlando/winterpark

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personaly wouldnt rate it in a main or non main way, i know thet i introduce people to the sport daily. i dont consider it mainstream in the least and i live in orlando were alot of people know wat it it. even still i tell peeps wat it is daily. i love wakeskating and i tell anyone about it, i also dont care if its popular or not, im into it no matter wat!
nick
Island Rat

City: Honokowai

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen.
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately pirate, I disagree with almost everything you said. Quickly, those fins make it possible for everyone to legitimately use a completely different part of their board (that's why I like rodney M--he's creative and he keeps skating limitless). Noseslides, tailslides, blunts, and aron gore does what I would call a nose grind (though some still like to call it a nosepress). Those fins are the real deal, and I’m surprised people still don’t get that. And there were riders (I think leif was one) that customized their wakeskates with nose fins before the 4 trac even came out.

As for the foam top decks, I think they’re a hoax. You don’t have to spend 300.00 as a beginner, and really only two decks fall into that price range. A flat top deck works fine, and 200.00 isn’t bad considering what you invest to get into wakeboarding. And it’s funny that everyone shat all over blecha boards for trying to make some foam top attachment, yet hype and liquid are now saving wakeskating. And why would you want a thick layer of a shock absorbing material on the top of your deck? It’s going to zap your energy. With that said, a beginner would probably be better off with a flat deck...

sim
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Thorpe

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on how you interpret 'mainstream'.
Ten years ago skateboarding was not considered to be mainstream, despite the fact there were millions of skateboarders all around the world. However since the 900 and pro skater games, plus media input from (eg:) ESPN organising made for TV events (X Games), skateboarding has become the mainstream. A good way of judging it is to look at how the sport is used to sell or promote something/someone.
When a council owned skatepark was opened recently, the major (a sixty something fat man) stood on a skateboard for press photos, simply trying to earn credibility from the youth. Skating is now a brand that people buy into not only through sponsorship, but having a skateboarder ollie a nissan truck in an ad, the huge banner of Koston hanging off a building in LA for the X Games, and even the BBC have a filler clip of skaters all in matching outfits to play when they have some time to kill between programs. THIS IS MAINSTREAM.
Wakeboarding is far from being mainstream now, so i don't think you'll have to worry about wakeskating turning for a good few years!
________
BEE

Last edited by sim on Feb 11, 2011 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: