FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

HEY YO, UPDATE THIS SITE PLEASE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knox
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Gainesville

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pumpyourbreaks wrote:
knox wrote:
flixmaster=

Delete FlixMaster and the .com part of that meme and it would be more relevant.

Wakeskating today compared to ten years ago is in a vastly different place, with an incredible amount of skill and competitiveness in today's riding. The best wakeskater 10 years ago would have their mind blown by what is going on today.

This site on the other hand looks borderline identical to the way it did 10 years ago. With zero changes in function or style. I fail to see your point.

Wakeskating is struggling, but this website (as much as I love it) is a relic. Whoever has had the power to do something, anything about this site has chosen to do nothing, as long as I've been here. At least something noticeable. These posts come and go.

I still visit this site everyday. This summer I wakeskated everyday with a super motivated group of homies, including people new to wakeskating. Orlando is Orlando so it's not representative of the whole picture, and I'm still frustrated by the stalling that seems to be taking place in wakeskating too.

However, I am happy to report that this site is not representative of wakeskating, and I think we're in much better shape than we were a year ago. Even in this thread people are volunteering to do something to help out, for free. Will it be allowed? We'll see. I wrote two long trick tips back in the day that never got posted after I submitted them.

I'll still visit this site because of you guys and the odd fun post. But as a business, I can't believe how little has been done to make it more appealing to new people. I've showed young people this site to get them interested, and literally been asked why it is so old, and asked if it is "dead". To a 12 year old, this site is ancient. If you think that's not a factor in it's usage, and that it's just the level of perceived wakeskating that's happening out there, I don't know what to tell you.

We're trying to get new/young technologically minded people into what I believe is a new and exciting sport with a website from the early 2000's. They're not going to use it, and it's going to make them think wakeskating is lame. Are those fair assessments? Definitely not. Have I factually seen it happen? Absolutely.
POPTART
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really shizzle that they couldn't be stoaked for Jen. Is that the first girl wakeskater on a cover? I also remember complaining about that winching layback cover strapped, so I can't say I've never hated on a cover. Whatever Most of those people are my least favorite people to hear from , or be around, or even watch ride.

The closest place to buy a skate to me is Terminus/Ambush.

I think the site needs a little help. I like it the way it is. Just wish we had more relevant content on the FP
WERDna
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POPTART wrote:
That's really shizzle that they couldn't be stoaked for Jen. Is that the first girl wakeskater on a cover?P

-=AlexXx=- wrote:
Also it doesnt help when a female wakeskater gets the a cover of a wake mag and the wakeboarders and shizzle photoshop over it like a bunch of jack asses.

I don't believe that it was an attack on women's wakeskating or wakeskating at all. From my understanding the person who made that alternative cover was calling out the choice of shot. If I understand correctly they felt the shot Alliance chose of Cassie was far from worthy of a cover. The cover doesn't really showcase very well it's a female rider (or which one..), that it's wakeskating, or the progress that female wakeskating has made. They kind of missed the mark on everything.

On the other hand the photo that the person chose to cut out from the inside of the very same magazine and slap on top is a better shot, a better representation of wakeskating right now, and all together gives someone specifically the credit they deserve for pushing wakeskating right now.

I'm all for a female cover and I would have been stoked if they shot a photo of Cassie doing one of her sick noseslides, she kills it. Wakeskating has been killing it these days and the girls are a big part of that; this cover choice just doesn't show that at all.

POPTART
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WERDna, I'm putting this in as the devils advocate: is the shot of a slash behind a small tow with friends in a unique spot closer to the avg wakeskaters definition of "wakeskating" for them , or a flip to ledge trick is wakeskating

I think both are equally important to the growth of the sport.

Half of our outreach should be to wakesurfers-----speed up, drop back, and get some grip tape and shoes and your wakeskating , now that you have had plenty of time to practice going slower and learning to stand on water

The other half should be in the tech accomplishments that reach to the riders/skaters who can appreciate the skill for the maneuver.

To me a flip to ledge trick will probably never be what I get to include as part of my personal definition of "wakeskating" (as much as I love watching and seeing happen).

I still have to work my arse off for a 3shuv, but thats whats so freaking awesome about wakeskating for me, everything out there is still a possibility and a new learning experiance I get to pursue, its infinity, its limitless to what I "could" learn.

I guess this all falls back on us to help control what we want wakeskating to look like. So its going to be up to us to make sure stuff like istudiomo and shitcreek are supported, rider owned companys are suported, shapers, builders, makers, believers, everyone is encouraged to help make wakeskating great again:lol:

electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally respect and agree with werdna. The thing for me is, for how prestigious a cover shot is, is a shot for the amateur really the best choice? I think it would have been a great centerfold shot, but not a cover. Especially considering the fact that i'm nobody and i still think of nick when i'm trying to carve (like the surfer i wish i was).And i respect those gals and the spirit behind the trip, and those ladies shred! I just understand the critique...and the cut and paste of austin with the mountain backdrop looked sick.

Poptart nailed the end of it. It makes me think of danny's article they posted awhile back. It's really important for us to buy products from the brands who really support wakeskating, and really try to support their riders. It is kind of scary how few groms seem to be out there. There also seems to be very little change with some brands and teams. How do you grow your brand or sport with dudes who seemingly have a minimal presence in wakeskating, be it in the media (minus instagram!!!) or the tour.

I did my part by buying boards from small brands i will never ride. Shocked i do switch between a wm and a remote yan, with my aquarium grip.

-=AlexXx=-
Pillage & Plunder

City: yes

PostPosted: Aug 20, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WERDna, I get what your saying, but the fact is that it was still a malicious unnecessary selfish attack... maybe not specific to females... or to that rider, but it hurt some peoples feelings, even the photographer who loves what she does and took that crazy camping trip just to shoot those girls. It was her first cover and she did an amazing job on that entire spread. You argument about how some one else submitted a pic and it didnt make cover is irrelevant. I have submitted 50+ pics over the past 10 years to magazines and only gotten 2 in... and guess what NO covers.... It never hurt my feelings because ya, other shots got the cover.. but i didnt hold a grudge or hate nick/andrew/etc etc.... thats just how it goes! Any wakeskating on a cover is good coverage if you ask me and it only hurts the sport to think "mine was better i shoulda got cover". I think that is a huge problem with the industry right now...the cockiness and "im better than you
mentality shown by this ignorant attack.

POPTART, I was just thinking the same thing yesterday going on and still working on tricks to make them better even though ive been landing them for years LOL. Me and Scottyb are always working on these type of things, more so than progressing i feel like just cuz we wanna land steezy every time haha. That is the best thing about this sport, there is always room for progression and steez.

tl;dr: We shouldnt be attacking our own sport if we want it to grow just because you think a flip trick shoulda made the cover instead of a spray that a female riding and great photographer took.
WERDna
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Aug 20, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POPTART, Thank you for playing devil's advocate, but where I don't agree is that the average wakeskater should be catered to with a cover of a magazine. The average wakeskater is extremely disconnected from the pulse of the sport and while creating content that is appealing to them is important, their definition of wakeskating is hardly a diverse or colorful template for creating a magazine with. From my perspective when an average wakeskater picks up a magazine it's typically to see where the sport is going and see what it means to the people that have devoted their lives to it. I can't speak for other photographers or filmers, but I personally don't think you should cater your content to the average person's definition of wakeskating when they are using your media and publication to create said definition, that's a zero-sum game.

As for this case I like the essence of what they are doing in this cover. I just don't personally like the way it was captured or that it was chosen for a cover.

-=AlexXx=-, I don't think the cut and paste job was intended to hurt the feelings of the photographer or the rider and I find it doubtful it was done in malice. I also wasn't saying it should have made cover. I was saying by comparison as a photo it embodies more of the characteristics I would look for in a cover for a magazine. My opinion on the matter is not intended to disparage the work of the photographer of the actual cover or the work she did. I fully understand the length photographers and filmers go to getting shots.

The Austin front tail kickflip photo was cut and pasted from a sequence of images shot by Bradlee Rutledge a staff photographer at Alliance. The person who cut and pasted the photo onto the cover wasn't involved in the shooting or the submission of the photo and I don't think they were trying to say "mine was better" or are holding any grudges, they just pieced together a fictional representation of what they would have rather seen and considering it had THE BONECRUSHER™ in the top corner looking down it was most likely meant to be a joke.

My whole post before was supposed to provide that it was possible this fake cover that someone made was them expressing what they would have preferred to see and wasn't intended to hurt anyone's feelings (except for maybe Alliance's..). Even it was an attack (which I doubt) on a wakeskate photographer from a wakeboarder or skateboarder, snowboarder, slalom skiier, whoever.. Photographers and Filmers can't let these sorts of things get to them, they need to stay true to their craft and if they truly liked what they created it won't deter them. If someone is scared off by something as small as this they weren't sticking around for wakeskating anyway.

-=AlexXx=- wrote:
WERDna, Any wakeskating on a cover is good coverage if you ask me.

I think this is where you and I fundamentally disagree, and that's where we can call it.

I'm further derailing this thread though..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting back on topic, Thanks for being passionate about wakeskating. Wakeskating will die when people stop caring about it. Keep expressing your opinions here on wakeskating.com this place needs it.

David_Roehm
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Austin

PostPosted: Aug 20, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, this site needs a revamp. Oh and let's get a real cover. Laughing let's all just start shooting photos of slashing or maybe stalefishs.

Edit: I mean if it was a switch slash it would be a whole different story.
David Legler
linear perspective

City: Durham

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can all agree the sport needs a little bolt of electricity. Many of us that still visit this site have been here a long time. My first question coming into the new year of the WST was if there were going to be any new names. Not a great question to have to ask. Fortunately there were some new dudes that killed it. But at the end of the day it was the same group of guys. Not that it wasn't totally killer, it would just be nice to have some more coco's in the world.

Oh, and here is a picture of Drew...

70.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  55.05 KB
 Viewed:  12747 Time(s)

Jama
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to rant for a bit regarding this thread and the general tone of the site lately Smile

I like to think there are a lot of people like me out there that check this site as well as a pot pourri of other wake sites every morning despite rarely posting and only riding a handful of times each year. I still get just as stoked when I see progression as I did when I was 16 and had a pipe dream of being able to achieve those tricks myself. I don't really believe that I'm the only lurker out there, and that active posters are the only wakeskaters checking this site Shocked

The idea of a forum isn't dead with the advent of social media. Forums still thrive in industries similar to ours. Wakeskaters need a lot of instructional information regarding tricks, towing devices, and equipment that can't easily be conveyed on Instagram, and last time I checked Sea-Doo's wakeskate instructional videos were terrible and had <1000 views.

I say this with absolutely no data to back it up, but I imagine sponsor dollars are harder to come by in nearly every action sport. In my mere 5 years in the business world, companies have gotten noticeably better at measuring ROI from areas that were previously given the benefit of the doubt: endorsements, social media, branding, etc. That doesn't mean we can't still wakeskate and progress. How many little kids skateboard every day while likely knowing 1-2 pros' names?
pumpyourbreaks
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knox, 100% agree that the riding is absolutely insane. But I don't know if a rider 10 years ago would be exactly stoked on the state the sport is in.

WERDna, I get what you're trying to say. But is alienating more people in the process the right way to go about it? 1. You might alienate a fellow rider and photographer in an industry where a large portion of it already get free boards or think they should be getting free boards. 2. You might piss off one of the last remaining media outlets for our sport. Interesting tactic. I thought we were on a "eff wakeboarding mags" thing anyways?

David_Roehm, Man, if it were my way every cover would be a stalefish. Laughing

I think you guys should all start riding behind the boat more. I haven't seen the clip of Austin's pseudo-cover, but I did see a clip of Coco all over my instagram explore page for like 2 weeks destroying the boat. It seemed to be Alliances most watched video as of late as well. Birthday Laughing
electricsnow
cassette

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pumpyourbreaks, that cover is on page one of this thread.
pumpyourbreaks
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricsnow, I was referring to the actual video clip.
electricsnow
cassette

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pumpyourbreaks, a version is at about 1:26 here, but the view is from behind: (he's also wearing different clothes, so it's not the print mag shot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1S7VFXubQc

There's another cover worthy image at 1:56.

knox
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Gainesville

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pumpyourbreaks wrote:
I think you guys should all start riding behind the boat more. I haven't seen the clip of Austin's pseudo-cover, but I did see a clip of Coco all over my instagram explore page for like 2 weeks destroying the boat. It seemed to be Alliances most watched video as of late as well. Birthday Laughing

Definitely agree! Riding boat was a blast this summer, and Coco is a monster. Seeing tons of folk who normally wouldn't get to ride boat get the chance at Frye's is awesome, and so many people kill it.

Coco's boat riding is some of the coolest wakeskating I've ever seen.
flixmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

City: Austin

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are still around? I guess I will keep paying the bills so the site stays up another 10 years.

I have had a number of people over the years volunteer to provide content for the site. It always starts out great and after a month or so they just fade away. If anyone really wants to start providing content send me an email.

But really think about it before you offer. The money is zero, the praise is zero, the hours are long, and you will get an occasional hate thread about you every so often. Wink

We can use all our sponsor dollars to do a complete site revamp. New responsive front page, import all the historical data into the new database, integrate with the message board, upgrade the message board phpbb level, install tapatalk so we can have handheld device access.......again using all the sponsor dollars.

The riding today is great. I cannot even try to imagine how Reed landed the wakeskate of the year trick. However the great riding we have today is not causing little Timmy to run out and buy a wakeskate. The big rush on the wakeskate industry in the early-mid 2000s was from old Wakeboard dudes that could not wakeboard. The influx of dollars was short lived when those old dudes realized that they could surf instead of bang up their legs on a skate. And just as fast as the big box companies jumped on a wakeskate they jumped off.

How will wakeskating survive? Maybe with an old ass message board that will allow these small startup companies to advertise for free, sell some skates and then just put that money right back into the sport.

So if you willing to invest a large amount of your time for the love of the sport let me know. I'm sure a few of you have become developers over the years and can handle a full site migration and redesign after hours and on weekends.

Wakeboarding
pumpyourbreaks
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Sep 16, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricsnow
cassette

PostPosted: Sep 16, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! hilarious image. Laughing

While people may not agree, flixmaster is pretty right on. I remember how I felt when I DID post stuff on the front page, and then people would post a link to the same stuff on alliance or whatever. The postings did not feel appreciated or utilized. It is what it is--just my perspective having done this for an extended period of time. We'll see how things go...

-=AlexXx=-
Pillage & Plunder

City: yes

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2016 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flixmaster, electricsnow, well put

pumpyourbreaks, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

This is the truth, and as a wakeskate community, not only this website, we have seen many be born and die shortly after... sadly, our community wants to be out wakeskating in the water, traveling, enjoying friends and family.... not working on a website lol

Im not hating on anyone who has tried to do it, because more power to you, you have more drive / love than me! But think about all the websites that have started and died...

The Wakeskate Mag...
http://thewakeskatemag.com/
nothing even comes up with that website any more...

La Sewer...
https://vimeo.com/lasewer
cant even find a website for them, but the last video on vimeo was uploaded a shocking 5 years ago

WeSubsist...
http://www.wesubsist.com/
2014 Swannee pro shots was last thing uploaded... Loved that website and all the content. Sad

Wakeskatebomb
http://wakeskatebomb.blogspot.com/2009/03/online-magazines-dope-and-blast.html
Blog that was last updated in 2009

Blast Wakeskate Mag
http://http//blastwakeskatemag.com/
http://slayshtank.com/tag/blast-wakeskate-mag/
Cant find an exact date, but they only lasted a short time, but again, LOVED that content... something is just so dope about having a hard copy of awesome shots

Even Alliance, despite being up and running slowed the wakeskate content...
Anyone remember the "Monday cover"? I used to love seeing who made it each monday... it was truly exciting to me...

http://www.alliancewake.com/skate/ryan-lemons/
http://www.freestyleonlinenews.com/joe-phillips-on-the-monday-cover-of-alliance-wakeskate

I have every single monday cover from day saved on an external hard drive.. maybe one day when im not so busy ill upload them all to a webpage.

One of the only websites that I can tell is still consistant in uploading new stuff is
shizzle Creek Mag.
http://shitcreekmag.com/

PROPS! Dont let it die guys! Everyone should be supporting them for keeping on!

**** sorry for any web mags, or blogs i missed, its 0330 hours here and im sleepy Smile***
Feel free to add any i missed!

IN short, Its hard to keep content rolling when this is a hobby... when it starts becoming work, you put less effort in and it eventually fades and you say... fu<k why am i not just using this time to shred... or going to sleep early so i can get a set in before work... etc.... Its sad for the community, but its the brutal honest truth. So lets not be so hard on flixmaster... hes kept this up and running for years and I dont want to see it go anywhere. If you want to complain about it you better be ready to contribute 10x more then you complained.

Long Live Wakeskating.com!

Smash
canalskater
Taco Bell Fa'Lyfe

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pumpyourbreaks, your tone and general bitterness towards wakeskating sucks. You've been on here in every other thread talking about how wakeskaters killed wakeskating and if we would have all just shut up and drank beers on the boat with babes, everything would be different. I wish you were right but unfortunately, that doesn't hold people's attention anymore either. You weren't right all along, even though it seems like you're happy that wakeskating isn't more successful because you got burnt out on it and bailed. I'm sorry things didn't pan out the way you planned but wakeskating doesn't miss you at all. We're still having a blast, throwing badass events and parties and generally just enjoying life as the small tight knit community we are, as well as progressing the sport that we love by leaps and bounds every season. The fact that you relish in knowing that not many people are making a decent living at it is sad and sheds a lot of light on your character. Everyone involved in wakeskating today has done more for the sport than you ever did, so you're tone of "you did this to yourselves" is bullsh!t. You got more than most people ever did out of wakeskating and you chose not to do anything with it. I can definitely see how that would leave a bitter taste in your mouth so, if it's cathartic for you to vent on this site than have at it.

flixmaster, blow all the sponsor dollars on the revamp? What else is it there for. I know this site isn't as much of a charity case as you make it sound. No one is expecting original content, but a functionality update would be nice. It has to make some money or it wouldn't be around anymore..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Add To Favorites

Jump to: