FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Why is this site so dead?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lollar
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Why is this site so dead? Reply with quote

Did wakeskating die?

Confused

Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

City: Menlo Park/ Bay Area

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, wakeskating died because wakesurfing took over...
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's the wakesurfing.

People grow up, there's a lot of other social media out there. It is what it is.

Lollar
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad.

This use to be a thriving community.

Now I come here and its just tumbleweeds.

Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as I've beec coming to the forum this is the most dead I've seen it for sure. The old days used to be awesome.. the wakeskating.com chat room used to be full and people would specify times to join up.. we used to have AIM chat sessions, new trick videos, manufactures would come on and show us the new board lines/ideas they were working on.. all kinds of stuff.

Now that has moved over to Instagram, Facebook and various media sites.

BB
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spring/summers use to be full of new clips and discussions, and the winters full of people fighting/bitching. ha
Lollar
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven M wrote:
As long as I've beec coming to the forum this is the most dead I've seen it for sure. The old days used to be awesome.. the wakeskating.com chat room used to be full and people would specify times to join up.. we used to have AIM chat sessions, new trick videos, manufactures would come on and show us the new board lines/ideas they were working on.. all kinds of stuff.

Now that has moved over to Instagram, Facebook and various media sites.

Most dead for sure

All the groms have other places to get Wakeskate content so there is no point to even check this place out Sad

Gnarly Dancer 42
360 flip
360 flip

City: kalamazoo

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but I feel like there isn't really a younger generation that is coming up in wakeskating, if that's the case....maybe wakeskating will die out?

Also notice how this thread has only people who have 3,000 + posts haha.

http://www.kearnsmedia.com

Last edited by Gnarly Dancer 42 on Jul 23, 2015 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the Groms have most likely never heard of/visited this site....

They grew up with instagram and facebook along with learning from older riders. If they started at a cable park, they most likely saw a more seasoned rider (who chances are visted ths site) out skating and talked to him about it. He directed them to a brand website or maybe The Sub/ WSM and they started following people on Instagram.

They found the information they needed right there.

When I first joined this site myspace was still the big thing, facebook was maybe just starting and even then it was just for colleges, it hadnt gone "public" yet. I came hear to get my wakeskate fix. I met the core group of friends i have adn ride with because of this site.
I feel thi

Lollar
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnarly Dancer 42 wrote:
I could be wrong, but I feel like there isn't really a younger generation that is coming up in wakeskating, if that's the case....maybe wakeskating will die out?

Also notice how this thread has only people who have 3,000 + posts haha.

Im not sure if thats the case

I hope not Crying or Very sad

Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the younger generation that is getting into wakeskating is picking it up from cablepark riders, instagram and web edits. They arent joining forums to talk about it, they are viewing it in other media outlets.

The problem within the wake industry right now is that boat manufactures, dealerships and even some wakeboard companies are pushing wakesurfing to families because it sells products. Not that wakeskating has ever been as big or as profitable to these companies as wakeboarding, tubing or sking but it does hurt.

Families are being shown wakesurfing as this uhhhhhhmazing sport to do and wakeboarding is getting pushed out of the picture let alone wakeskating. As much as "core wakeskaters" will say they dont care about wakeboarding or outside influences to help do what they do, wakeskating as a whole needs the watersports industry.

Watermonsters, Remote, Backwoods, Virture, every freaking wakeskate company needs customers. They need new customers to get into the sport and buy their products to keep them in business and making boards. How do you get new people into wakeskating? By getting wakeskating infront of new people and getting them stoaked to try it.

I work at a boat dealer managing the proshop, wakemitch had this job before me. He tried to get as many people on wakeskates as he could or at least get it in front of them.. i do the same thing. Sadly a LOT of people come in not knowing that wakeskating exist or having much experiance with it.... but every one of them knows what wakesurfing is and they want to get into that.

I keep nothing but wakeskating videos playing on the proshop tv. Right now I have Fun Razor going but I will switch it out with Nosia Vision and a few others every few weeks. I love watching people view those movies in disbelief and then ask me what they are doing and how cool it looks. I've sold a few wakeskates that way.

When I'm at the cable park and some wakeboarders ask me about wakeskating I offer them my board for a few laps and tell them to try it out. They usually come back stoaked on it and ask more questions and possibly look into buying one.

Sorry, kind of rambling on and stuff but yea wakeskating needs to get out in front of new people and get them hyped on it and wanting to ride.

Lollar
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven M wrote:
I think the younger generation that is getting into wakeskating is picking it up from cablepark riders, instagram and web edits. They arent joining forums to talk about it, they are viewing it in other media outlets.

The problem within the wake industry right now is that boat manufactures, dealerships and even some wakeboard companies are pushing wakesurfing to families because it sells products. Not that wakeskating has ever been as big or as profitable to these companies as wakeboarding, tubing or sking but it does hurt.

Families are being shown wakesurfing as this uhhhhhhmazing sport to do and wakeboarding is getting pushed out of the picture let alone wakeskating. As much as "core wakeskaters" will say they dont care about wakeboarding or outside influences to help do what they do, wakeskating as a whole needs the watersports industry.

Watermonsters, Remote, Backwoods, Virture, every freaking wakeskate company needs customers. They need new customers to get into the sport and buy their products to keep them in business and making boards. How do you get new people into wakeskating? By getting wakeskating infront of new people and getting them stoaked to try it.

I work at a boat dealer managing the proshop, wakemitch had this job before me. He tried to get as many people on wakeskates as he could or at least get it in front of them.. i do the same thing. Sadly a LOT of people come in not knowing that wakeskating exist or having much experiance with it.... but every one of them knows what wakesurfing is and they want to get into that.

I keep nothing but wakeskating videos playing on the proshop tv. Right now I have Fun Razor going but I will switch it out with Nosia Vision and a few others every few weeks. I love watching people view those movies in disbelief and then ask me what they are doing and how cool it looks. I've sold a few wakeskates that way.

When I'm at the cable park and some wakeboarders ask me about wakeskating I offer them my board for a few laps and tell them to try it out. They usually come back stoaked on it and ask more questions and possibly look into buying one.

Sorry, kind of rambling on and stuff but yea wakeskating needs to get out in front of new people and get them hyped on it and wanting to ride.

Im sure the lack of any kind of actual structured events and competitions probably does not help.

Wakeskating needs bigger events to bring in the people but we are stuck with grassroots type events. Not that there is anything wrong with them but we get no major media coverage at all. Especially after the debacle with Rockstar and the end of the Wakeskate tour this year.

Its just sad to see such an amazing sport with such amazing people get forgotten about.

Wakeskating is just to hipster and pretentious in my opinion sometimes.

Jake S
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: SLC

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't help that nobody runs a wakeskate specific site anymore. From the looks of it thewakeskatemag.com is pretty dead too.

I'd love to see the numbers on estimated wakeskate participants/board sales.
Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Wakeskating.com not a wakeskate specific site?

We can host media on the front page whether it be a web edit/picture gallery. Members are more than welcome to submit articles and E-Snow will get them up there.

http://shitcreekmag.com/ Thats another one too.

I agree with Lollar, The Wakeskate Tour was defintly helping wakeskating. You could show those recap videos to someone and get them caught up on where wakeskating was. It was a structured tour event but it could use some work to at least get it in front of more people.

I mean hell wakeboarding is having that same issue and they are a LOT bigger than wakeskating. Hopefully this Mastercraft/X-games Real Wake video stuff is successful enough to come back next year and maybe wakeskating will get added.

That would put wakeskating front and center with a lot of exposure to the X-Games people. Would have been sick to get a little 2.0 pool/jam setup where ever x-games is taking place and at least have some guys on hand putting on demos/jams in front of a new people.

Same thing with the Street League Contest. Are any of those events held in a location where there is maybe a pond out side the building or can something be erected? Maybe a small 30-45 second commerical from the Nike Wake team that can get a small tv spot to air during the event.

bachlonso
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: NFA

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid we have to face the same throes that skateboarding had to face when it was young though skateboarding has a huge advantage opposed to wakeskating. If you look at wakeskating from an objective perspective it is hard to learn, accessibility is shiznackle, gear is expensive... Whereas you can hop on your skateboard mostly directly in front of your house.

It is somewhat unreal to expect an gradual and moreover continuing growth of the sport (I wish it would be the opposite!).

When it comes to WS.com: I'm stoaked to stop by here every once in a while to flip through the threads. Even though we have a lack of participation in comparison to earlier days (including me), hell you guys are still keeping it running and it makes me happy to see all the old timers still keeping the stoke up!

As E-Snow put it correctly: it is what it is. And the event of big time social media hasn"t really helped WS.com either as somebody else has put it correctly earlier too. We are underground! Be proud of it! Don't count on corporative sponsoring! They just want your money. It's awfully hard to keep something alive under these circumstances and we're still pulling it off! Give yourself a pat on the back for that!

And aside from that. What does it really matter? I'm currently travelling Canada and I've met three fellow wakeskaters yet that haven't even heard of WS.com.
miller
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Regina

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bachlonso, where in Canada?
http://harfangsnowskates.com/
http://www.thrashdad.com/
-=AlexXx=-
Pillage & Plunder

City: yes

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really funny some1 mentioned wakesurfing. Scottyb and I were just out wakeskating on the Lox river we grew up on this weekend. We saw over 10 boats riding doubles skimboarding or skimboating (whatever they call it). They were just spraying each other and thats it..... occasional 360 surface spin or w/e.... Not one boat was wakeboarding or wakesakting. We did see a few tubers though!

When we were that age, everyone I knew was wakeskating, most have quit now, but a few are still destroying it.

I feel like the new generation finds things to challenging, so they quit. Everything is given to them, they are a very entitled group. Its sad.... really really sad. Spraying each other with skimboards.... is what they are into now lol.

I miss the activity on his forms. I def grew as a person on here. I learned a lot and met a lot of amazing people, which have become my life long close friends. It was great making contacts all over the US and more, for traveling and finding a pull when u get the itch. I def think there are so many more media outlets now that this is subpar to more in the new generations eye. Hopefully things will turn around. I try to post whenever i get a clip, but its rare i see anyone posting as much as they used it.
stack
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My theory on this is down to the fast progression of modern cable park riding. Watch a wakeboard video from 5 years ago and shizzle has changed quick!

When I started wakeskating, wakeboarding was limited to either 1. Riding a big expensive boat until your knees gave out or 2. Raleys at a cable.

So what you did was get a wakeskate, join a waterski boat club for cheap sets or go to a cable and ride their sketchy flatboxes. If you were really keen you built a winch and found some spots.

Then cable got clever. Suddenly wakeboards became a lot better. On top of that system 2's came out and Unit started getting creative with safe sturdy imaginative "features".
At this point wakepark riding got a lot easier, more creative and the progression from novice to a capable level was a lot quicker.

Why would your average punter spend a year trying to get the basics on a wakeskate when in 3 months they can do Kicker 3's and nosepress the latest overpriced rollercoaster feature with their bro's?

I don't think wakeskating will die out for the simple fact is that for wakeboarding you still rely on the guys at your local park putting something interesting in the water every year. Wakeskating you can do that then put a winch in the car and go exploring, or ride that 500 dollar tinny you found on ebay. At some point when wakeboard park riding progression slows people will come back to this.
Frye

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a lot of the posts but not all of them as some were pretty lengthy so my apologies if I missed anything or am repeating something.

I don't think wakeskating is dead. From what I see it's very much alive. Wakeskating.com is dead, but that is because it sucks. The rest of the world has grown and evolved and I don't think this site has had an update since it was sold. You can't expect to gain/keep users if you don't get them involved. Think about how much different the Internet is now than it was when Dave built this site...

electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen frye, we have your body varial trick tip. I don't know what else you want!

Laughing Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: