FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

New WM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel
Back Big

City: Duncan

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: New WM Reply with quote

So I was pretty set on getting the project but saw the new WM decks are available on the site.

Anyone have any photos of the new ones? Concave etc?
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have pics but i plan on getting one in about a month. Pumped to see them out!
daniel
Back Big

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricsnow, I know, I was really excited about the project too... ahh
knox
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Gainesville

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're sweet! We went through a years worth of prototypes before Drew and Austin were happy with our new manufacturer, and I can honestly say these are the best boards we've had. Really solid with a very similar shape to years past, just way more consistent board-to-board with a new base and new construction. I've been riding mine since battle falls and it's been awesome. I'll post some close up pics of mine later tonight or tomorrow for you!
Frye

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the new decks and I really like it. I think they are similar to the old decks just different manufacturing. I'm sure Andrew will say something about any big changes. I liked the old decks so I am happy on the new one.

wakemitch
Frontside Bigspin

City: Yay Area

PostPosted: Nov 17, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been torn between the new remote, virtue, or one of these new WMs. I ride a lot of cable and beat my boards up.
daniel
Back Big

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered the project today.

Saving my next WM purchase for the Belsito. Smash
wakemitch
Frontside Bigspin

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniel wrote:
Ordered the project today.

Saving my next WM purchase for the Belsito. Smash

Let us know how you like the project. I'm really curious to find out what others really think about them. I definitely have my opinions about the board. I posted in the project thread
Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

City: Menlo Park/ Bay Area

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniel, what are your thoughts on the Project?
wakemitch
Frontside Bigspin

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode my new 39.5 WM on Sunday at the cable park. Coming from a Remote (which I love) it felt very different, but I like it a lot. I wasnt sure how I would like the mellow concave, but I prefer it now. The mellower concave (compared to a remote) feels like it gives me more room to land comfortably. The WM sits nice and deep in the water and feels really solid. It locks in on landings and I never felt like I was going to slip out, even on super sketchy stuff. I was super consistent all day and I was stoked. I dont think I've ever had front shuvs popped as high consistently than when I was out.

The base had a little more drag on features then I'm used to and I got stuck and flew off a couple of times, but I'm sure I'll figure that out.

I'm really stoked on my purchase and I cant wait to get back out on it. It's fun trying different boards and mixing it up. The WM will be my board for the year most likely.
overstreet31
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Lumberton

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakemitch thanks for the review. is the grind base similar to the grind bases on remotes? a thick, clear base layer? Its tough to tell in the pics posted of the WM boards. Thanks!
daniel
Back Big

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven M and wakemitch, looks and feels great. a little heavier than expected. should be able to get it on the water within a couple months.. lake currently has a thin layer of ice on it. I'll come back here when I try her out.
wakemitch
Frontside Bigspin

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overstreet31, it's not like the Remote base. The WM base seems a little thicker than the old base, but I can't tell much of a difference without seeing them side by side. I havent seen an old one in a few months. I'm hoping it is stronger than the old stuff.
overstreet31
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Lumberton

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakemitch, Thanks! I thought it looked similar to the older decks base but wasn't sure and thought I remember someone mentioning a rail base. Yeah for the price increase I would hope it would be stronger for sure. Seemed the old stuff would peel off pretty easily. Thanks again!
southpaw
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Houston, Texas

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the new WM base is just like the old base but a little thicker then that's a bummer to me. The old base was a big sticker and I don't know if making it thicker is the answer. I mostly ride cable now and yes the old ones got stuck on rails way more than other boards, and you have to work a lot to keep it under you. It's not fun when you have to deal with this issue, then see people "sliding" with ease on other more cable specific boards made from plastics. And I understand these guys aren't riding cable much but instead winching insane spots and grinding concrete, so these boards work well for that. I always loved riding a WM board though with the natural concave, big pop, and solid landings. I still want a WM board in my quiver so I'll eventually buy one some day, maybe if they make more of the 39.0" boards because I missed out on that size a year ago with no funds at the time. Keep em coming because I love what those guys are doing!
wakemitch
Frontside Bigspin

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2015 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

southpaw, I've put more time on the board now and I'm pretty sure it's not a sticker like the old skates. It's actually really durable so far. I'm really stoked I got the board

But I agree about the speed of the base. It's much slower on rails than other boards. I got to try the newest Virtue today, and I coulldnt believe how fast and snooth it slid. I was hitting stuff I normally get tossed off on with ease. It's also a really good shape. I prefer the width, weight, and rocker of the WM though.
And Drew
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: cincinnati

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys this and Drew from The WM company Smile Thanks for all the interest on the new decks. We are really stoked on how these decks turned out and are certain they are the most durable boards we've produced yet.

-The shape of the new decks is relatively the same to our previous boards. We kept the same rocker and concave and have worked on small changes around the nose and tail to give the board more griptape surface area. I felt like this gives the board a little more control and you can really get a good dig out of the water allowing your foot placement to be on the very end of the tail.

-We've stepped up the base of the deck using a UVR material that is familiar to the watersports industry. (uses: the top of snowboards, skimboards, wake boards, kite boards) The base is a solid sheet that will hold its strength at the cable and will take a solid beating at a winch spot. We haven't seen any problems in the last 5 months testing these boards and guarantee it will withstand a lot of abuse. The UVR is a great protection for the life of the wood deck and slides well on obstacles. (A little wax on the bottom will not hurt if it feels slower than your liking). The graphics are sublimated into this material and will last a long time with slight fading to the light base on areas that have seen a lot of abuse.

-We upped the thickness in fiberglass and are happy with the strength. All boards are coated in marine grade epoxy to preserve the wood. With almost 50 decks in riders hands no cracked boards or major separations with the wood have been reported yet. Overall our new decks are a huge step up from the previous boards and we have been seeing solid feedback.

shoot some more questions if you have them and I'll do my best to respond. I will also get some more pictures together for you guys of some used and new decks. Thanks a lot for the support guys!

Last edited by And Drew on Jan 20, 2015 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
southpaw
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Houston, Texas

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Drew, Thanks for responding to this thread in such detail. Your description of the new decks definitely got me more stoked to try one. Looking forward to the pics and the future of the water monsters company!
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radical!! Thanks Andrew!

How great is it to see this much interest in the new WM line? Cool Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: