FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Which Go Pro?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-=AlexXx=-
Pillage & Plunder

City: yes

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Which Go Pro? Reply with quote

Im sure a bunch of you guys have gotten the new editions, Which should I go with?
Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

City: Menlo Park/ Bay Area

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick up an original gopro hero 1 for that vintage retro look. Cool
BB
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your priorities? I have the 3+ black.
?
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using GoPro's for 4 years come this December. I've used my original HD Hero for the past 3 years, then last January I picked up a 3+ black edition for an early birthday present for myself. If it's your first one then I would say the white or silver edition will be fine. If it's not enough you can always sell it and upgrade.

Here's some of my videos if you'd like to take a look: https://www.youtube.com/user/MLarsTV

Lychee
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Nov 24, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your just looking at hero 4's I would go for a silver. One of my top complaints with GoPro's is ruining a shot or a set of recordings because of no viewfinder or screen to set up your shots. I also thought the add-on for hero 3 was bulky and expensive. Silver has a built in screen compared to no screen on the black.

Perks to the black are 4k30, 2.7k50 and for slo-mo's 1080p120 compared to 720p120 on silver. I think 4k is along long ways out of becoming standard. So paying 100$ more for sharper looking slo-mo's but at the cost of loosing a built in screen seems silly.
-=AlexXx=-
Pillage & Plunder

PostPosted: Nov 24, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the input, I've read on random google reviews that the battery life due to the screen on the silver is lacking. Anyone having battery problems on the silver?

Obviously, my priorities will be using it for wakeskating. I love the mouth mount that nick has been rocking, those angles are perfect and it doesn't require the loss of a hand while riding which would be so awkward for me.

I cant see myself using the screen much while riding, but for standard tourist type photography and maybe gym stuff.... I donno there are pluses and minuses for each, i love seeing all of Deiter's high quality clips on insta from his black.

The struggle is real for this decision lol
BB
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Nov 24, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you won't use 4k or any night lapse stuff then just get a 3+ and save yourself some $$. My battery lasts quite a while. The screen is cool and all on the 4 silver but with such a wide angle camera you can get away with not having one, plus if you really want to setup a shot you can connect the wifi with your phone.
nick
Island Rat

City: Honokowai

PostPosted: Nov 25, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the screens are a waste of battery life. It doesn't take much experimenting to figure out the range of the wide-angle shot when you're using it... As far as image quality & resolution, every new edition blows the old ones out of the water, so I definitely wouldn't recommend anything under a 3+ for riding shots or otherwise, but at the same time, I don't even know if 4K monitors exist yet, so the 4 might be over-powered for 2014. The mouthpiece I've been using lately is wayyyy better than the original homemade ones that me & Dieter rigged up last year, and since you can set the gopro to shoot upside-down, it doesn't have to be in your line of vision at all while you wakeskate.

The trick to getting a good gopro shot basically comes down to decent lighting, knowing your basic visual range, & holding the camera still... In my opinion, 95% of ruined gopro shots are because of shaky hands & careless movement. It makes the footage damn-near unwatchable.

Here's a little test video I just slapped together about halfway through writing this post. Obviously, vimeo & youtube both murder video quality compared to how it looks on the original file, but you get the general idea of what these little cameras can do... I'm stoked to play with the 4 soon.

`

Pillage & Plunder

PostPosted: Nov 25, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great vid nick thanks for that. I def think I want to get a 4 just to stay ahead of the technology, and i dont mind spending the little extra cash because I will get my moneys worth out of it. Big question now is the 4 with the screen or the 4 with 4k......
?
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nick. With a little practice it's not hard to line up a shot. And since it has such a wide angle lens it's pretty hard to mess up.
Lychee
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah a LCD screen is going to diminish battery life at a faster rate, but you can turn the screen off. I would recommend always carrying a couple of batteries though there cheap. I agree POV shots are very hard to mess up. Its the timelapses, mounts, and the tripod that can suffer without a viewfinder. True you can use app, its just nice to not have to bust out your phone just to check if your shot is lined up good.

4k is definitely 5+ years from being standard. 4k DVD's are on the way and when internet providers are still throttling 1080p Netflix in the US, doubt there going to go willingly into 4k streaming. Interested to see minimum computer specs to do some heavy editing with Gopro 4k footage. A 4k gaming cpu is a couple grand at the moment.

I think its gotten to the point that FPS>resolution though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: