FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Project Co. 40" Wardenclyffe review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

City: Menlo Park/ Bay Area

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Project Co. 40" Wardenclyffe review Reply with quote

Figured I'd make this it's own thread to not take up the board collection thread.

So I'm coming from a few years old WaterMonster and then some Integs hoping on this board.

So here are the stock pictures from http://projectwakeskates.com/english/

And the pictures I just took.

Rail/concave

Concave

Rail

Size 13 DVS shoes for reference

Shot of the rocker and it measured 1-7/8" from the flat surface to the bottom of the deck at the tip of the nose/tail

Width of the board at the center of the concave from the edge of the grip tape was 14"

And The width where the centerline of your foot normally sits is 12"

Base of the board from 3 hours at the local cablepark. The lighting is playing tricks in this photo and some of the scuffs are residue plastic from the boxes that wipe off when I rub them.

Quick rundown for the board

Pros
The concave is awesome. It's really dished out and no abrupt or overwhelming. Feels real natural and fits my size 13 shoe really well.

The base material slides GREAT! Doesn't stick at all even on dry rails/boxes. Slides quicker than the current remotes base.

The board POPs! Really aggressive rocker line and wants to jump out of the water.

It's also not super thick and not flat deck skinny,it's a great thickness.

Cons
The board wants to sink in the water and isn't overly floaty, think older Integs or a Tao. Not a bad thing, just can get frustrating some times. Not a deal breaker by any means just be careful when the boards under you and what you do with your feet.

With that aggressive rocker line the board rides a little slow on top of the water but I'll take that slower ride for the pop. The cable says they are pulling around 21mph so I want to get behind a ski/boat and ride at my normal 23-24mph. Again, not a deal breaker but it does ride across the water slower than a remote.

Overall conclusion. Worth it!

$350 shipped from Brazil and Fernando was always quick to answer my questions same as WERDna. I love the board, love the pop, it's a solid feel under my feet, great swing and I can't wait to get more ride time on it!

If you get the chance, ride it.. Or just buy one for $350 and support a company making an awesome board!

If anyone is in California and catches me at one of the cables or on the water you are welcome to try it yourself!

wakemitch also rode it a few laps and can chime in with his thoughts

BryceBell
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Saskatoon

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven M, Thanks for the write up. Looks like an awesome board. Hope I can try one out sometime.
daniel
Back Big

City: Duncan

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attempting to get this as an early Christmas present, you just made me want it even more.
Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BryceBell its a great board, if you get the chance to ride one do it!

daniel Just send a mesage to WERDna on here or order off of their website. I had my board in 13 days and that was shipped from Brazil with the customs hold.

POPTART
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A+

Thanks for that man. Looks like it would come out of the water strong!
13days from Brazil is impressive too. Keep us posted on how it keeps treating ya.

Smash Smash

Do I also spy a boxer leg?
miller
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Regina

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven M, thanks for the review. That deck looks amazing.
http://harfangsnowskates.com/
http://www.thrashdad.com/
Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miller, you're welcome. The board is awesome and I'm glad I pulled the trigger and picked it up. I'm hoping to get a set on it behind the boat soon so I can see how it handles lip tricks and re entry stuff.

I'll be sure to update this thread as I keep riding it and let everyone know how it's going.

POPTART, yea that's my room mates boxer. His name his Brodie and he is 13 months old.

carive
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Manila

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far this board has been really solid for me. been riding it everyday on rails,kickers and looks like the board will last for a long time!
wakemitch
Frontside Bigspin

City: Yay Area

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked the concave and the base on this board. The concave was closest to a Virtue than any other skate. It's a rounder style concave that flows well rather than straight lines like a Remote. It felt really good. Not too flat, not too abrupt.
The base slid so fast and smooth. It was even faster than the base on my remote which surprised me.

When I first saw the board the first thing I noticed was the crazy amount of rocker it had, and it made me nervous that it would be slow in the water. I definitely predicted it right. This board had more drag in the water than any other board I've ridden. The drag made it very tiring to ride and it took a lot more effort to do anything. At the cable I had a hard time getting to rails because of how slow it edged out. I couldn't take the same quick cut as I would on my Remote, I had to edge the Project much sooner if I wanted to get out to the rail in time.
The rocker did make this one of the poppiest boards I have ever ridden. It popped so well and felt really good.

I have definitely learned over the years that more rocker makes for a snappier ollie, but slower rider. While less rocker makes for a faster ride, but less snappy ollies. I have learned to prefer faster boards and that is my bias. I don't feel that less snappy ollies hold back my pop, but I do feel that sluggish boards fatigue me much quicker.

This is my personal opinion, but this is how I would rank boards that I have ridden on slow to fast (left to right):
Project - Omen - Water Monsters - Tao - Impulse - Oak - Original - Integrity - Sattelyte - Remote - Virtue

This doesnt make boards bad or good, but it is an aspect of boards that I really notice.
Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent all day riding with ollieshuvitz behind his boat today and I have to say, I'm Loving this board the more I ride it. Comfort speed was around 23.5-24mph and I was sticking everything I tried.

Re-entry Ollie's felt huge and just roll right off the wake. Shuvs felt solid and at those speeds the board stayed right with me and sounded great when they smacked the water.

Taking a ski set on Friday and I'm looki forward to some I/O tricks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: