FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Aphid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senza wake
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: SLC

PostPosted: May 12, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Aphid Reply with quote

These skates look sick. Does Virtue make their decks?
Also, do they have any type of grind base?
If not $350 seems a little steep
overstreet31
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Lumberton

PostPosted: May 13, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure about who constructs the decks but they do not have a grind base like a remote but are similar in construction to the water monsters decks. Killer shape! rides like a magic carpet
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: May 13, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

350 seems steep, but we'll see where things go. I'm just amazed at the direction of things. People totally scoffed at a bi-level cassette being 295 and now look where prices are. On that note, it's cool virtue is making a flat deck, and i would love to see remote come through with a good flat deck.
wakemitch
Frontside Bigspin

City: Yay Area

PostPosted: May 13, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I heard that Aphid is being made by virtue, but they are an independent company.
I haven't seen an aphid in person, but the construction of Virtues is great. The shape appears to be different from Virtue boards. More straight edges on Aphids, while Virtues are a little more rounded.
I have no idea about the difference in concave.

It looks like all the skate companies have their boards over $300 now.
overstreet31
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Lumberton

PostPosted: May 13, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the best pics but a few I grabbed when it came in the mail. Will try to get a couple of better ones with the 70D this week instead of the iphone pics.

electricsnow
cassette

PostPosted: May 13, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last batch of watermonsters were 279.
jtexasglass
Ollie
Ollie

City: San Antonio/New Braunfels

PostPosted: May 13, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aphid seems to have a piece on top of all the concave (which is brilliant by the way) that might cause for a little extra work and cost. It's different then the normal veneer. I could be dead wrong. All I've seen are the pics form overstreet. 350$ is a lot for a board but then again a lot of work goes into making them. Just my thoughts.
deepcove
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Vancouver

PostPosted: May 14, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtexasglass wrote:
Aphid seems to have a piece on top of all the concave (which is brilliant by the way) that might cause for a little extra work and cost.

Drastic Manufacturing was playing around with this concept years ago.

BryceBell
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Saskatoon

PostPosted: May 14, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be wrong but isnt wm already doing the extra plys on top of the concave and their pricepoint was under $300
wakemitch
Frontside Bigspin

City: Yay Area

PostPosted: May 14, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true about watermonsters. Hopefully we can still see sub $300 quality skates.
Obscura isn't making their wood concave this year. And those have been selling for $199 the last few years.
jtexasglass
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: May 14, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BryceBell wrote:
I might be wrong but isnt wm already doing the extra plys on top of the concave and their pricepoint was under $300

They could be, I know a few company's do(did) it.

senza wake
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: SLC

PostPosted: May 14, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Aphid seems to have a piece on top of all the concave (which is brilliant by the way) that might cause for a little extra work and cost. It's different then the normal veneer.

WM has had this construction since their first production, or close to that. Southern is also constructed in this manner, now I also think Virtue does it. I believe it was New Wakeskates who did it first, when they made WM decks. It seems like a very solid way to keep layers from peeling off the top.

I just think $350 seems like a little too much. I was disappointed when WM went from 250 to 279 but figured it wasn't that big of a deal. I just think Remote makes the extra cost of 369 worth it with the base they have.

But hey Im stoked on this all regardless. Excited to see some Aphid footy from Suwannee!
electricsnow
cassette

PostPosted: May 14, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am totally guessing here, but I am thinking obscura just went with something more durable. Especially when you look at the kind of riding aaron did in his video last year, and even consider nick's concrete ledge...these boards probably hold up better under that kind of strain. I think the tao has kind of proven itself in that regard. Not to mention the market is proving that people are willing to pay a little bit more if the board is going to hold up.

I think that's where things get tricky, like justifying the price difference when there's no noticeable design enhancement compared to other decks. Aside from the concept that with the extra money, you're supporting certain people or a certain ideal.

it's all a cool flipside to design though...some people thought wood boards would never make it into a new era of design, or whatever. I like that people kept something they liked and found a way to make it better or still relevant.

DaleFish
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Cape Town, South Africa

PostPosted: May 15, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LF/Obscura importer in South Africa is Selling Tao's at R6500, which is the equivalent to around $635, we are getting totally shafted, the average cost to bring a skate in yourself from the US is around $100, so if i buy a Tao online for say $369 and bring it in myself i still pay less. so hard to get more people into the sport in this country when its so expensive, but that will hopefully change soon.
https://linktr.ee/Wakeskatewednesday
jtexasglass
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: May 16, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

senza wake wrote:
Aphid seems to have a piece on top of all the concave (which is brilliant by the way) that might cause for a little extra work and cost. It's different then the normal veneer.

WM has had this construction since their first production, or close to that. Southern is also constructed in this manner, now I also think Virtue does it. I believe it was New Wakeskates who did it first, when they made WM decks. It seems like a very solid way to keep layers from peeling off the top.

Yeah, I don't see very many of those boards around these parts. I know company's have been doing it. Still doesn't change the fact that it's brilliant. Ha. Who ever started doing it first?, thank you. The price of wood decks these days are killer. I guess they all have their own little thing going on that makes them the price they are. I'm sure/hoping these company's really are (for the riders, by the riders). They have their own reasons for the price tag that comes with them. They all look amazing but in the end all wood decks break. So yeah, the price does hurt the riders. Just my thoughts, not that they matter.

jtexasglass
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: May 16, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleFish wrote:
The LF/Obscura importer in South Africa is Selling Tao's at R6500, which is the equivalent to around $635, we are getting totally shafted, the average cost to bring a skate in yourself from the US is around $100, so if i buy a Tao online for say $369 and bring it in myself i still pay less. so hard to get more people into the sport in this country when its so expensive, but that will hopefully change soon.

That really is a shame man. Maybe you should try to talk to some of the distributors and see if you can become an online dealer of some sort. I know it's easer typed then done but if could be a good way to help the scene out a bit.

RyanJames
Ollie
Ollie

City: Tampa

PostPosted: May 16, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aphids r dope, totally worth the price. The shape is so sick and feels hella good under ur feet. Do yourself a favor and go get dat fa sho!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: