FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The Bible
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Non-Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick
Island Rat

City: Honokowai

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly recommend that no one trust the words of another just because they are a "public figure" or a person operating on some fallacious claim of authority. The act of doing so constitutes a huge disservice to the distinctly-human capability of critical thinking... Instead, you would do well to make yourself familiar with differing perspectives, critically analyze the arguments made from each side, absorb logical facts, disregard bullshi.t, and in the end, arrive at a rational conclusion...

In the images below, my advice would be to not simply accept their words because they are witty or presented in an aesthetically-pleasing way next to the name of some great author/scientist/thinker/entertainer, but if you're open to it, just consider their ideas objectively & see where that leads you.

I'm just gonna go ahead & leave these right here...

Humanity has always had a need to understand the world around us, but in the early stages of humanity, we didn't have the means or the tools to deeply explore the workings of the universe. By ways of creation myths, the invention of gods, and invocation of the supernatural as historical reality, religion was developed to fill this void, but as time goes on, science has overturned most of the ignorance perpetuated by religion (thanks to logic & space exploration science, we know the Earth is not the center of the solar system, let alone the center of the universe, nor is it seated on the backs of elephants riding a giant turtle through space!), but despite the immeasurable mountain of falsehoods that science has brushed aside over the last few millenia, so many of our species still point to the fact that we don't have ALL the answers yet & cling to their ridiculous religious beliefs as true, going to great lengths to suspend their own rational thought process to preserve their observably-unlikely worldview. In contrast, atheism is not a dogmatic set of beliefs. It is very simply a disbelief in gods... In the same sense that there is not a word for someone who does not play hockey & there is not a word for someone who does not believe in centaurs, I think that in an ideal world there wouldn't be a label for someone who doesn't believe 3500-year-old fairy tales.

If the religious population of the world went about their lives believing nonsense in a civil manner, you would never hear a word about it from me... but the fact that religion is responsible for a huge majority of our planet's wars, violent acts of hate, subjugation of women, implementation of regressive legislation, and prevention of healthy human progress; these are all reasons why I have strong contempt for religion... It is a primary purveyor of ignorance amongst & a major obstacle to peace between humans.

You don't need to believe that there's an invisible totalitarian in the sky to be good.

`

Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Kissimmee

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quotes like that george carlin one are dumb.....so what if it sounds ridiculous? We didn't create this place...

And i love that epicurus quote. growin up in a christian home i always felt like that maker was something like sid from toy story

electricsnow wrote:
It's not companies trying to live the dream, so much as it's the people behind them who are trying to help good riders actually make a living off of wakeskating.
nick
Island Rat

City: Honokowai

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero., If you don't mind continuing the conversation, I've got a few questions...

1) Supposing the hypothetical situation of "this place" having a creator- What would be the benefit of creating a universe in which the premise of it's creation & concept of eternity sound ridiculous? Wouldn't it make more sense to create a universe that is demonstratably in line with it's creation story, instead of filling it with contradictory evidence, & to have people base their lives on a concept of post-mortem judgement (to be administered by an invisible omnipotent omniscient old man) in which one can be sent to one of 2 invisible inescapable places? Carlin's quote presents a subjective view of the doctrine of Christianity in plainspeak without the organ music & 16th century "thou"s & "thee"s. If you think the quote is dumb, do you also think it's dumb to consider the premise of an all-loving being sending most of humanity to a fiery pit for eternity?

2) Regarding the Epicurus quote, it's a rebuttal to the notion that the Christian god is Omniscient & Omnipotent, essentially all-knowing & all-powerful, the key magical powers attributed to him by certain examples of scripture. The quote itself is a logical trap for these claims, as the only way one can accept he is both omniscient & omnipotent is that he doesn't see fit to alleviate the widespread suffering of humanity... To better understand your take on the quote, which of these models of "God" do you suppose to be true?

To be clear, I will sometimes argue against the logic of Christianity by offering an argument that assumes the Christian model of the universe to be true, but I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about this. I have no pretense that there is a god of any kind, nor that the bible is a valid historical reference, or that anything supernatural happened in the deserts of Arabia 2000-3500 years ago. The widespread belief in Christianity is essentially the result of a small cult becoming the official religion of the gigantic Roman Empire, the grisly occurrences of the Inquisition, by centuries of missionary deployment, and by relentless proselytization encouraged by the doctrine itself. Luckily, the teachings of the religion itself are immoral enough & contradictory enough to make arguing against it fairly easy. Just about what you'd expect from Bronze Age desert tribes, honestly...

In my own observation & understanding, it appears the more we explore the world, the universe, & the human mind, the more apparent it becomes that these tales were fabricated in a primitive time to explain things they did not yet understand, to keep the population in line, and to function as a part of cultural identity. I think the relevance of the Christian bible in our time should be limited to it's influence on history & it's cultural significance, in the same sense & regard that we appreciate the stories of the Greek gods. They're fun to read about, and it is interesting to look back on times when people believed these things, but to me, it's absolute insanity that anyone in 2013 would base their lives on the Christian bible.

`

Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Winter Haven

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fact that there are a whole lot of atheists that where once christians and there aren't a whole lot of Christians that where once atheists says a lot.

It would seem to me that the once christians now atheists would be the ones to know both sides of it before drawing any conclusions.
Zero.
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick, I freaking always get a headache the second i see your long novels lol.

alright. yes it would make more sense to "create a universe that is demonstratably in line with it's creation story".....but that doesn't mean it can't be true. And yea maybe it would make more sense to us...but that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense in a celestial world (lets just call it that). Our laws here are probably different....what I'm saying is that just cause we don't understand it or think it's ridiculous doesn't give it any less of a chance of being true if there are two different worlds. it could be way more complicated and we don't have to understand anything for it to be true. Just looking at our laws and our sense, yea it sounds ridiculous.

i think the quote is dumb, and i think that " the premise of an all-loving being sending most of humanity to a fiery pit for eternity" is dumb. Considering it? why dumb? As far as we know everything has equal chance. Dumb to knock something just cause a celestial world, that we will never be able to understand as humans ,sounds ridiculous.

i know what epics quote is for, it's pretty obvious. And if the christian god is real, he would be omnipotent, which means that he is able but not willing.....our Sid. Satan could be a robin hood.

if all that christian shizzle is real, im fizzle. cause it's hard for me to believe too.

electricsnow wrote:
It's not companies trying to live the dream, so much as it's the people behind them who are trying to help good riders actually make a living off of wakeskating.
Zero.
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and randomness, where do you get that there aren't a whole lot? i hope not your eyes.

and again, who cares even if that were true? it's people. What exactly does that say since you think it says a lot? popularity doesnt say anything. I hope you don't think popularity points people in the right direction.

electricsnow wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Non-Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: