FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Govenor removal necessary on HF predator engines?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Winching sponsored by Pulldozer.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bs
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Govenor removal necessary on HF predator engines? Reply with quote

I was playing around with a 7hp predator engine today and am now skeptical if the govenors put on these engines do in fact restrict the rpms to 3600, here is why.

This screw governs how far the throttle can be pulled open.

throttle arm closed

throttle arm all the way open (factory settings)

From the factory the engine just "sounds like" it is running at approximately 3600 rpm. I tested a winch in the snow today with specs: tav w/12 teeth, axle sprocket 57 teeth, and spool I.D. of 7.25''. At 3600 rmps this setup theoretically puts out a top speed of 18mph. I speculate that it was pulling me around 16-17mph and thus i feel that engines rpm was 3600. Frustrated with the lack of speed i played around with that screw and after just a couple of turns with the screw driver it was pulling closer to 24-26mph and the engine was "revving" quite a bit louder. This means that i just increased my top end speed from factory settings nearly 10 mph with out even touching the govenor or any internal components.

My question then is do the govenors on predator engines actually restrict rpms to 3600?

Last edited by bs on Mar 10, 2013 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
David_Roehm
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Austin

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a set screw bru, it's so you can set your speed and it will be the same every time. If you turn your screw all the way to the left that will give you your winches top speed.
Sinkoumn
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Minneapolis

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulz, wut?!?

--Fu<k Windsor Wake!--
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally i thought this was a weird spam article.

Carry on...

bs
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that. Can any one tell me what the point of a governor is. I always thought that it restricts rpm but if you can get over 5500 with it still on then why would one want to take it off?
Tin Solider3
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to winching, but I know about these engines.
You're confusing what the governor is, there are two somewhat type of governors.

External governor: This is the screw you're referring to, though it's not really a real governor, but it does restrict the external full throttle of the engine. It's best to just throw away that screw if you want the full potential of the engines speed.

Internal Governor: This is the real governor. You'll have to open that engine up and remove this guy, it restricts your engines RPM's a lot actually. I'm not sure what the specific RPM's are though. See on take off you'll feel the full kick of the engine, but then the engine will drop back the speed, this is the internal governor at work. You can Bi pass the internal governor, or remove it, but it's dangerous to run your engine farther than the governor restricts it to. The restriction is there for a reason. Without the proper external parts, your engine will blow up inside, very dangerous stuff without a billet flywheel, rod, and etc aftermarket parts.
bs
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Solider3, thank you. Your response has answered my question.
supermanotorious
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, I've posted several videos and how to's regarding this, maybe they're buried with national secrets, removing the govenor on a winch is no problem as we only run the engine for a max of 45 seconds or so, on a kart it could be different but I took the govenor out of my daughters kart engine and my 210lb ass can haul around 30 mph on it for hours without problems
bs
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supermanotorious, no no no, the question is not how to take a governor off- I know how to do that- my question concerns the WHY one would take the governor off?

Like i said if you did not read some of my earlier posts, on one of my runs (with the governor still in) my calculations put my theoretical rmps based off of my actual speed output at around 5200 rmp. I always thought that a governor restricts rpms to 3600.

Thus, my question if any can answer is have I just carried a common misconception about how a governor works or, if not, then how can my situation be explained?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Winching sponsored by Pulldozer.com All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: