FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Lets talk about Ollie Pre Pop!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
splitphire
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: C-Town

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Lets talk about Ollie Pre Pop!!! Reply with quote

OK so what is the correct way to pre pop an ollie? There's this big buoy in my lake that I want to ollie, but it's pretty high. I already know how to ollie high, but I need it higher. If you watch most of the pros when they are going for big ollies it seems as if they are weighting the board some kinda way before they pop the ollie, or sometimes it looks like they do a mini ollie before the real ollie. Both of these can be seen in Aaron Reed's ollie video on youtube. So what do you guys know about pre pop?

Last edited by splitphire on Jul 23, 2011 12:27 am; edited 2 times in total
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to describe it, outside of it being all about rhythm. (that's a crummy answer, I know.) One other thing I notice about my ollie height is making sure I kick my front foot out aggressively enough at the peak so I'm leveled at that point. Otherwise I level out a bit late and miss out on that height.

But really, if you have high ollies i think you can figure this all out through practice. The ollie is the foundation for anything else rad in wakeskating, so it pays to learn how to do it well.

stompin9s
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Vail - CO

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitphire, I would just say for you to cut out on your heels a few times and bounce around. u will get the feel for 'pre pop' when u cut out and flatten off...
loganhursh
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try not to do a full ollie before. im trying to get out of the habit now. it looks bad and it can mess up your tricks
thatwasrad
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: San Jose

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive noticed for bigger ollies, i load my weight onto my front foot before, and then do a quick release, then a hard push down on my front again, and that has increased the height in my ollies
splitphire
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way THANKS everyone for your responses!!! I'm going to try to load some more weight onto my front foot before I pop. Is it more like just weighting my front foot for a couple seconds then popping or more like a quick rocking motion? I guess trying to bone my ollie out a little more would help also. Do I do that by trying to attempt like a flying karate kick during my ollie?
electricsnow
cassette

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not even a couple of seconds--it all happens really quick, and you can see this more for some riders than others. I'd almost have to do it and then describe it, but it's really a rhythm thing and it feels like a fluid motion of weighing your front foot and then snapping your tail down, and then pushing your front foot forward to level off your nose at the peak of your height. And I would describe the front foot action as a karate kick, but you want to be aggressive enough so your motions are producing results.

Again, the best way is to just practice. Even film yourself so you can see what's going on with your technique, and watch other videos to see how other people TCB*.

*take care of business

likwidfolife
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: DFW

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://vodpod.com/watch/2819209-winch-madness-video

Watch this video at :20 seconds in and watch Charlies pre-pop ollie.

When you do this "mini oliie" or pre-pop like this you can really feel your board smack the water when you pop off the next one.

Some do it like that and others do a double pump type "rhythm" thing I think A. Reed is referring to in his instructional.

In theory what i think the pre-pop does is lift the tail up out the water higher so when you do pop it gives the board that much more leverage to dip down deeper in the water before it comes back up and releases.

Thats where the "rhythm" comes in. You weight the nose or front of the board to lift the tail higher out of the water before you pump that sucker down as hard as you can to get it out of the water.

I can into wakeskating from skateboarding background and delved deep into this pre-pop concept because that way you ollie on a wakeskate is so much different than a skateboard. I was sooo frustrated with tiny wakeskate ollies when on a skateboard i could ollie over 3ft high parking cones and ledges. I almost think of it as more like a trampoline bounce than anything to best describe a wakeskate ollie.
POPTART
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

likwidfolife, tramp bounce

i agree

i think about doing the prepop in motion with my ollie
so before you start your down crouch with your body weight you do a little pre rock

its very much like pumping a surfboard for speed

so you pump the board and on the way back down with your front foot , you bring your weight down and bounce like your trying to double bounce on a tramp

you can also figure all of the timing out on a tramp

then take it to the water

splitphire
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else have anymore helpful info or opinions??? Let's keep this thread going!!!
-=AlexXx=-
Pillage & Plunder

City: yes

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest i dont like the whole tramp bounce thing. I wouldnt get used to doing that because it seems situational... like in that gaps case. You wouldnt want to do that all day long in every trick you pull... it just looks kinda weird to me too.

When I first started wakeskating some1 explained the whole front foot pump thing to me in a very good way, i cant remember if it was nick or frye or maybe even vance... who knows who cares. what whoever said to me was:

Think about the water like a kicker. If you push your tail into the water its going to make a small kicker out of the water and ramp you toward the top, then shoot you off. In other words you will ollie.

Hope your with me...

Now, if you were to quickly push down on your front foot to get deeper in the water, then immediately after do the back foot push to initiate to ollie, or the launch in this case, the front food push down or pre-pop would cause you to be deeper in the water. The deeper you are the bigger the water kicker will be and the higher you will launch, or ollie.

I really hope that makes sense.

Now for style purposes and flow, this all doesn't look very good... ALL the time. I have to say I do it when im shuving over something big like a tree branch, or a buoy, like your case. I do it on kickflips a lot of the time to help get that extra height to flick it. And i definitely do it on vflips as well, but only in the flats. Cant say ive ever tried it inside out or w2w lol. All im saying is dont get in a habit of doing it all the time, do it when u need to get that extra height, do it when your comfortable with the trick you are doing. Don't just do it.

Good luck, hope this helps you! Pm me if u have any more questions Very Happy
electricsnow
cassette

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the prepop in that vid likwidfolife posted was a very extreme example. that dude pretty much left the water before he landed back down and then ollied, and I've never seen it done quite like that before. I do prepop and think it's good (without trying to look like a spaz or throw off my tricks), but I wouldn't do it like the guy in that video.
PoopSkater
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: west palm

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skateboarders dont pre pop so why should you. Rolling Eyes
electricsnow
cassette

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

because we're wakeskaters? Wakeskating and skateboarding are different, no matter how much you tell yourself otherwise.
stack
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't just that is shows more like that if you don't get low and bend your knees?
PoopSkater
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: west palm

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont thik pre popping helps at all. like alexxx said it looks wierd. you dont see any pros pre popping before they ollie a big gap do you?
electricsnow
cassette

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are pros that pre pop different tricks. I haven't watched this on any large gap footage (not that I've tried to), but it seems like most of these tricks are done but they're not super high or anything. They just don't do whatever it is the guy did in the video clip above. I think that one looks totally weird and like I've said, I've never seen a "pre pop" quite like that.

And alexxx said he doesn't do it ALL the time, except when he wants some height, which makes perfect sense. Other "pros" seem the same, as in they do the trick to do it (and I know they care about style, and this is how they choose to do their trick). I will never tre flip or do a lot of super technical things, so instead I want to pop everything as high as I can and end up prepopping a lot of tricks. That's how I choose to ride my wakeskate, and I want that aggression to be seen in my style.

Ultimately, different things work for different people. I think it works so long as you're not spazzing when you do it, because I think it does help push the board deeper and give you more momentum for snapping the board.

splitphire
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros don't have to pre pop for most gaps bc the takeoff is so much higher than where they are landing. The height of takeoff and speed of pull gives them enough time to get their tricks off with a normal ollie. The longer the gap the faster the pull. Simple physics. Just make sure your getting pulled fast enough, and don't forget to ollie!
fastgreens
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: baytown

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitphire, pre-pop the hell out of your board and ollie over that bouy!

you got that Smash

splitphire
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastgreens, I'm gonna give it my all bro thanks you the man!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: