FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Winching thread: A place to discuss everything but winches.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Winching sponsored by Pulldozer.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
POPTART
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Winching thread: A place to discuss everything but winches. Reply with quote

Ok so I thought it would be nice to have a thread just for the general discussion on winching. What you've learned. Tips about gaps, Dealing with the law. Anything and everything related to winching without necessarily talking about the winches them selves.

So I want to know about anyone that has been grabbed by or struggled with Hydrolics.
I heard Balzer had an experience but i dont know anything about it. Someone know should share.

Also how many people so far have been given a ticket for riding. What was the ticket for? Did they tell you that they can charge any of us with wreak less endangerment for winching? (which is def a handcuff-able offence)

When winching what are the first things you usually do?

Do you think a pre scout to scope landings , wade and clear the run up and landings should go down before your trip to ride?
To save some time? So when you show up you can just shred and GTFO?
Or do you make it all in one trip and see how long you can ride there?

supermanotorious
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost always plan on seshing a spot all day unless specifically heading out to hit a public/illegal spot, when dealing with cops try to get them excited about the sport, explain how THEY could learn how to wakeskate in a day, show them how you have zero environmental impact, explain you want the water cleaner and safer than they do, they've showed up to alot of my sessions but only asked us to leave once after they watched for 45 min, I always try to walk the winch run if I cant see the bottom and I always walk around the rail landing area for hazard checks, if we shore start i remove rocks from the mud/sand so the board doesnt get screwed up but I'm working on a portable lightweight start box, if there is a land gap I suggest helmets, they make you look more pro anyway
wakeskate259
Ollie
Ollie

City: Winter Haven

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"i suggest helmets, they make you look more pro anyway" Smash Smash Smash
POPTART
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the winching flat and winching gaps with hydrolic seems to have an impact on the cops mood from my experience

anytime im winching flat ive always got the "its cool" or "go home"

the last few gaps we have been to we get the "people have died here" lecture

but how do we start judging turbulence severity?

Jake S
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: SLC

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have a main river that flows through the SLC valley with some good flat spots and a very fun drop on it, by law it is a recreational place, so we see canoes etc. out there so legally I don't think the cops can bust us, which is super cool.

we've had problems on the smaller canals though, there are signs all over that say:

CANAL MAINTENANCE ONLY
NO SWIMMING etc.

we got busted and the maintenance worker said the sign said "no wakeboarding" Laughing
robsmaze
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Yorkville & Chicago

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know what people do about fishermen. Especially pissed off mentally challenged ones with the strength of a gorilla!
The hydraulics in the dams we have hit recently scare me. If you screw up, you could very well not get out. I think from now on, unless I have a throw ring life preserver and a long pole (which could double as a gopro mount) I'm going to be a little more cautious. I really don't want any of my friends caught up, cause I'd be obliged to try and save them which might just mean two drowned wake skaters...
As far as the 5-0 goes, I've had problems from the second time I went winching. San Diego lifeguards were NAZIs and, even with kite surfers literally surfing in front of us, they would kick us out. According to them, the rope was a hazard... Illinois has been a lot more chill, but cops threatening to arrest you for reckless endangerment kind of sucks. I like the in and out idea, every time I've been kicked out of a spot it's cause it's was so cool we lingered! Or, you can just bring donuts.

Backside 180
Backside 180

City: HOUSTONNN

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice thread!

i'm actually planning a trip in a little bit to go winching fer the first time! i'm stoked as sh*t!

POPTART
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so reading that rivers are public domain , how dose that conflict with a wreak less endangerment ticket?

speeking of wreak less
having a ticket that proves i didnt fall means it wasn't dangerous right?

SwissArmyKnife
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: PawPaw

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing more frustrating or scary than the winch engine cutting out when you're 10 feet from where your about to pop your trick, of if the thing wont start! I use the best oil/plugs/filters I can afford. Blow the dirt, sand, grass, mud off with the air compressor regularly.

I always use premium gas with stabilizer (1/2 the recomended storage ratio) in my winch, small engines don't like ethanol (gas with ethanol in it doesn't seem to stay fresh as long too). When your buying 2 gallons for 8 hours of shred time, what is an extra $.40?

The footage of James Balzer getting caught in the hydrolic is in the Body Glove vid "Slick City." He was floating above the wedge/drop drifting with the current, holding to the handle. The winch was letting out line as the current pulled him down the 2ft wedge and under for about 15 seconds. He was wearing a jacket too! Crazy Eyes

What happened?
I don't know cuz I wasn't there, but, maybe he hit it going upstream and the winch died letting the spool coast line out? If the winch was running, you would think the driver would pull him away from the drop...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Winching sponsored by Pulldozer.com All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: