FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

4 or 6 Bar Spool???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Winching sponsored by Pulldozer.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maddog10
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: May 25, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: 4 or 6 Bar Spool??? Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I'm currently building my first winch, and I'm just wondering what your opinions are on the spool bars. Do you guys think 4 is okay, or would you recommend going with 6? Just trying to get some info before I take my drawings to the machine shop. Thanks.
GnarShredd
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Seattle

PostPosted: May 25, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smoother of a circle you can get, the better IMO. I'd go with 6.
Maddog10
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: May 25, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever done 8 or is that overkill? I mean it seems easy enough to do, would give you more strength, and a smoother circle. I don't remember ever seeing one with 8 though?
GnarShredd
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Seattle

PostPosted: May 25, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddog10, You could if you wanted and if it doesn't make the sidewalls too weak. Besides, 6 works pretty well if you want to save the extra work even if it's not much.
Live2Ride
Ollie
Ollie

City: San Jose

PostPosted: May 25, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big are the sidewalls of your spool? The spool I build had 13" sidewalls with 6 bars for the rope but I made sure the bars had an inner diameter of 8". Here's the link to some of my pics http://www.wakeskating.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31468

And 8 bars would be ok but like GharShredd said, save yourself the work if you can.

Maddog10
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: May 25, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on doing 15" diameter spool walls made out of 1/4" aluminum or possibly steel (hoping to avoid steel for weight but we'll see) with adjustable 4.5", 6.5", and 8.5" inner diameters. I plan on doing 6 bars as of now. That is open for suggestions at the moment though. Like I said, this is my first winch so I would love to hear what worked for you guys or what you would change looking back? Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Winching sponsored by Pulldozer.com All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: