FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Windows on a Mac
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Non-Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
texasT
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: HOUSTONNN

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Windows on a Mac Reply with quote

basically i'm thinking about getting a macbook pro for my next laptop and was wondering how well it runs windows. i love windows, i know a lot of people don't but it's what i grew up on. i basically want the mac for the aesthetics :p

anyway i've heard that there are a few programs to load windows on to a mac but i don't really know too much about them or how well they work. like i think there is a program the lets you run one at a time, and then maybe one that can run both at once? to be honest i dont really need to run both operating systems at once but the option would be nice i guess. another reason i need windows is that i play FFXI and it is only for windows.

also, does anyone play FFXI? lol

thanks for your help ghuyssssssssss

-=AlexXx=-
Pillage & Plunder

City: yes

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats like wanting a penis and a vagina, you cant play god man. Laughing
texasT
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-=AlexXx=- wrote:
Thats like wanting a penis and a vagina, you cant play god man. Laughing

lol i wouldnt want both, but being a lesbian would be nice.. lol

yookyle
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Reno

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend has his mac setup like so. Why do you want both? mac is really not hard to learn.
texasT
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yookyle wrote:
My friend has his mac setup like so. Why do you want both? mac is really not hard to learn.

basically just what i said earlier. i love windows, but i dont hate mac or anything. just want to have the option for both. also i love the microsoft office suite much more for windows as my mom has the mac one and there are differences. plus soon i'll have a big boy job and having windows makes things easier typically in the job market i'll be in. i also want it for the vidja games :p and i'll use the mac OS too, just not as often probably. i think i would probably switch back and forth depending on what task i was doing.

-=AlexXx=-
Pillage & Plunder

City: yes

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texasT, Lol, ya i know right? haha

Just kidding though, I have no idea how to help you.... But I think instead of wasting your money on a mac and getting windows on it, you should just put that money which will be WAY to much, and get a really great custom PC laptop that will FAR out preform any mac for the money you are going to put out.
texasT
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-=AlexXx=-, i have a decent windows laptop so i just want to get something that just looks better. typically windows laptops are ugly as fvck so i think i'll go the aesthetic route this time. and my moms paying for it so... Rolling Eyes
scott a
"a" is for angel

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple computers ship with a program that will guide you through the re-partitioning and installation of other operating systems. Then you can boot up which ever operating system you'd like when you turn the computer on/reboot. I would imagine that Windows would run perfectly fine on a MacBook Pro.

There's also VMWare which will allow you to run multiple operating systems simultaneously. It'll just run Windows in its own window with the option to make it full screen. You can even change the amount of resources that are available to it.

dscsk8er55
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVfRQ0YIDUI
dscsk8er55
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand you totally. I think working in OSx is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. I have made three different hackintosh's and am not impressed with OSx. If I am going to change my OS from windows I go to Linux.
Frye

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it was time for me to get a laptop I had this same problem, and I ended up with a Mac and a PC. I do way too much on Windows for my computer to run it from a virtual hard drive.

My Mac is 2.4 GHz intel core 2 with 2gb of memory.

No offense to anyone on here, but for a competent person both operating systems will work great. For the slightly less competent person, a Mac will be amazing. I have never tried any sort of programing on a Mac though, so I can imagine dscsk8er needing a PC since that's his job. As time goes on I find myself grabbing my Mac way more often.
Guy
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Orillia

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frye wrote:
When it was time for me to get a laptop I had this same problem, and I ended up with a Mac and a PC. I do way too much on Windows for my computer to run it from a virtual hard drive.

My Mac is 2.4 GHz intel core 2 with 2gb of memory.

No offense to anyone on here, but for a competent person both operating systems will work great. For the slightly less competent person, a Mac will be amazing. I have never tried any sort of programing on a Mac though, so I can imagine dscsk8er needing a PC since that's his job. As time goes on I find myself grabbing my Mac way more often.

Yup.
POPTART
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pre-ordered my Cent_I_Pad!

Laughing

you want a mac

your not running quickbooks, or any cad software
so get a mac

-LoGiK-
Kickflip
Kickflip

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly feel that the newer mac operating systems are very similar to windows and have even taken a lot of the accessories that come with windows. It just goes back and forth over the years each company stealing the others operating system and adding a few trinkets to it.

As far as compatibility....it all depends what your looking to get out of it.

I like to film/edit videos and for the longest time PC could handle video fine, until hd/p2 files started developing. Something to do with PC, no matter how good the specs are, even if they are better than a macbook pro specs, it will still fail at editing HD smoothly. I think the problem has something to do with the codec's and it can't ready HD properly not exactly sure hopefully in the future they get it fixed....

That's what made me make the change to mac, which I thought I never would in a million years, now that I've been on a mac for a year or so it feels quite a bit different but very similar to windows and I love it! Very Happy

texasT
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at Alienwares last night but they're pretty damn ugly lol.

I just dunno anymore Sad lol

TTUFAN24
Something Clever

City: HOUSTON

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texasT, just went from an HP to a macbook pro. it was different at first but i love this thing. like wakeskates, find someone that has one and try before you buy i guess.
texasT
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTUFAN24 wrote:
texasT, just went from an HP to a macbook pro. it was different at first but i love this thing. like wakeskates, find someone that has one and try before you buy i guess.

haha if i get a mac, i'll be going from an hp to a mac book pro. a BIG problem i have right now with my HP is overheating. i swear to god i can't watch a fvcking video the whole way through because this son of a b*tch will start getting really loud and slowing down the playback quality. it's weird because it never used to happen to me. i used to play games on it all the time and it ran fine, but now it has to be sitting a certain way so that it wont immediately freak out, but eventually it always fizzle up. like i couldnt watch a video at my desk to save my life.

also i've played with many macs cause my mom and best friend and everyone i freaking know pretty much has one so i'm really not opposed to it. the only thing that does bother me is that like someone said earlier, for the money i could be getting a laptop with much better specs :/ but to be honest, now a days i just watch videos on the damn thing, and rarely even get to game on it. fml lol

scott a
"a" is for angel

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texasT, your issues with heat might be related to the fan vent being blocked by lint or dust or something? I mean, something has to have happened to make your computer not wanna play videos anymore, right? But don't think your heat issues are gonna go away by purchasing a mac, because the metal case definitely gets hot when you're watching videos or editing videos. But you might be aware of this already from using your friends' computers.
senorbueno
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony's new S-series laptops are sleek and have good specs. They cost a premium over other Windows laptops with similar components, but if aesthetics are important, I would look at those (their cost are in line with Macs). I'm not a gamer, but you don't want a mac if you actually want to play computer games.

Macs are good for their purpose, but I think the Sony is probably a better fit for what you want.
dscsk8er55
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a nice one that I found

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/03/asus-u36jc-review/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Non-Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: