FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Old ski boats
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyle hyams
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: maitland

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Old ski boats Reply with quote

So I'm entertaining the idea of picking up an old ski boat, like an old Ski Nautique or a 2001. Just wanted to know from whoever rides that type of vessel, how they like it and how the wake is. I'm not looking for a huge wake or anything, just something fun that I can maybe go w2w and i/o.

Thank you online forum community.
OverEasy
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Richardson

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a '94 Ski Nautique (closed bow), and it was awesome. The wake wasn't huge, but it had a great shape, and responded well to added weight. I've never ridden behind one, but I've only heard good things about the 2001 models that came out from '82 to '89.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any direct drive ski boat. You just have to be ready to deal with the maintenance that may be needed for older boats (wood floors, stringers, etc.).

BB
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy has an older Nautique that puts out a nice wake. It's not the nicest boat to cruise around in but great to ride behind. If you can find one that is in good shape I would say go for it.
nate
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: ATX

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those boats put up serious wake. You will be happy with any of those. My buddy has a Supreme. I dont know much about it. It's an older ski boat, but the wake is awesome. It's also holds speed surprisingly well.
uidzero
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Casselberry

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the smaller ski tique has a really fun wake with only two people in the boat Cool I'd get a 2001 if I could though just for the extra space on the inside.
kyle hyams
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm not looking for anything to put crazy weight in. Something to ride behind and can take more than two people and the digs out in.

Those vintage 'tiques are so boss.
JennyDanger
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Chuluota

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get anything past 1980. You don't want to end up with a badass looking vintage correct craft that can't handle weight, is stuck in forward, and has rot stringers.

The 2001 editions are supposed to be epic.

JennyDanger
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forgot, check this site out for older Nautiques for sale:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsale/

key
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: south brazil

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dido the 2001's!!!! buddy had one with a bunch of lead and it was a serious wake!! Birthday
kyle hyams
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JennyDanger wrote:
Don't get anything past 1980. You don't want to end up with a badass looking vintage correct craft that can't handle weight, is stuck in forward, and has rot stringers.

Thanks for the heads up, Jenny. The one you had, was that from a dealership or a private sale? The weight issue I'm not worried about, not even sure I would add any other than passengers.
coricluster
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: berlin

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 2001. its a 1983. the boat has no ballast at all besides just the wieght of the people in the boat and the gas and the wake is easily a little over knee high. it gets bigger with ballast but i dont see a need for it. the stringers in these boats are wood. so make sure that you walk around on the floor and make sure there is no soft spotts....usually when the wood is soft the stringers are also rotten. i have had 2 of them. and im sure that they both have rot in the stringers. but mine rides great and runs awesome. they are super easy to work on. i have wanted a newer boat a few times but i always end up with the older ones. they are epic boats.
coricluster
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is mine.
mojo
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: mob town

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2001's are sick. just really check the floor for soft spots on anything made before 93 in a correct craft boat. they stopped using wood stringers in 93. check for rust, check the oil, test drive it, etc. correctcraftfan.com is probably your best resource and getting to know these boats, how to fix them, what to watch for, and they have classifieds also. you should join the family
JennyDanger
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle hyams wrote:
JennyDanger wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, Jenny. The one you had, was that from a dealership or a private sale? The weight issue I'm not worried about, not even sure I would add any other than passengers.

Private seller, I found it on craigslist. I mean, it hasn't fully lost hope. I'm about to get it running again, put weight in the front, and add a tower/pole. But it wasn't a smart purchase. I got all over excited because it looked awesome.

If you look at a boat with stringers, bring a wrench and check the bolts on the engine mount. If most of them spin that means the strings are rot. Absolutely test drive it before you buy.

Bear_Jen.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  252.23 KB
 Viewed:  16211 Time(s)

skicuda_cas.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  220.02 KB
 Viewed:  16211 Time(s)

mojo
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: mob town

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually looking at a rebuild around 2000-2500 hours also. and jenny that is one beautiful boat. nautiques for life.
kyle hyams
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at two today, one was at a dealership and one was at the home of a salesperson from a dealership. The one at the dealership was decent but showed the signs of worn out stringers (mushy floorboard in the back and a spider crack in the fiberglass on the outside). The other one was in better shape. The main stringers were in great shape minus one between the engine cover and seats, but I don't think that one causes any structural damage. I didn't get to take it on the water (yet) but she started up like nothing and purred like a kitten.

They need a little rubbing compound and some elbow grease but nothing major.

A pylon would be the way to go though, a tower just wouldn't look as classy on these older vessels.
coricluster
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all of them boats get spider cracks. nothing much u can do about that besides sand and paint. its nothing to worry about. if its in good shape, get it.
EJazzle
faceplant

City: Tequesta/orlando

PostPosted: May 20, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JennyDanger, the ski cuda with no neutral or reverse is the sh*t. Laughing Smash

kyle, with pretty much any of these boats from the 80's you are gonna be looking at rotted stringers unless they have been redone. Me and my buddy put new stringers in his boat and it wasn't that bad.

88skisupreme
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: ATX

PostPosted: May 21, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coricluster wrote:
all of them boats get spider cracks. nothing much u can do about that besides sand and paint. its nothing to worry about. if its in good shape, get it.

Never paint a fiberglass boat.
coricluster
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 21, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not. Awl grip gets used everyday on million dollar boats. In that picture of my boat that 68 foot viking right next to mine is painted with awl grip. Six million dollar boat. Don't talk if you don't know what your talking about
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: