FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

hyperlite scape vs Liquid Force Faction and some advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerra
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Sheffield UK

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: hyperlite scape vs Liquid Force Faction and some advice Reply with quote

Hey guys

Been doing some research and reading on the forum and just looking for a some advice...

I went wakeboarding with a friend last weekend at a local cable ski. I come from a surfing and skating background and so I picked it up pretty quick. Had a great time and saw some guys doing wake skating. Straight away I knew I need to be doing that. Unfortunately the place didn't hire out wakeskate boards and so I have yet to try it but I'm pretty sure I'll be stoked on it.

Anyway I've decided I'm just gonna go for it and buy a board. After doing some reading and checking out whats available to me I've seen the scape and the faction boards. I know they are entry level but I'm pretty sure they'll be cool for me for the time being.

My questions are:

1. Scape or faction?
2. what size should I go for? I'm 6'5" 210lbs
3. Is it a lot harder than wakeboarding to launch and just go round the circuit (on a cable ski)?

Sorry for the long post, I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks !
wakemitch
Frontside Bigspin

City: Yay Area

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerra, good choice on choosing wakeskating Birthday

Out of those two i think most people will recommend The LF Faction 42"
masi
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Deerfield Beach

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerra, i would have to agree with wakemitch, on the choice of two. but there are many more options for you. New wakeskates makes custom sized boards so they can make you a board that is a perfect size for you for about the same price you would pay for either of the boards. For your size i would look for a board that is at least a 42 and above. the problem with the scape is that it delaminates very quickly so i would say that board is a no go. Happy hunting and welcoming to wakeskating
Nerra
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the quick response. I'm a little bit limited with choice as I live in the UK, so it tends to be the main brands that are readily available. We're currently having a bit of a heat wave over here and we're planning on going this weekend so I'm keen to order one straight away. Once I've got the hang of it I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading to something better. I'm actually coming over to the states later this year so I might get a good one while I'm out there.
Nerra
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just found this.. a free motion transfer. Is this any better than the faction or scape?

http://www.bargainboards.co.uk/P/Free-Motion-TRANSFER-Wakeskate-Foam-deck(6885).aspx
POPTART
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerra, i dont care what board you buy just buy it from your local shop
-=AlexXx=-
Pillage & Plunder

City: yes

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your size, i would highly suggest a New wakeskates Bigfoot model. Barret from New is a tall dude and shreds that board. I would not suggest the hyperlite or LF boards they will just deteriorate.
wakemitch
Frontside Bigspin

City: Yay Area

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-=AlexXx=-, he doesnt live in florida and needs a skate now.

Nerra, stay away from the free motion skates. The LF Faction series is pretty legit for a flat deck. A lot stronger then in the past. And they have wide tails which would be good for you seeing that you are 6'5" and probably have huge feet.
The Scape and free motion have narrow tails which would cause your toes to drag, that is if they dont fall apart first Smash
sullyj11
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the facton was my first wakeskate, i rode it for a year and a half and had no problems with it. i just screwed nubs into it and still fool around on box's with it.
Nerra
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, it looks like I'll be going for the LF then. I don't expect it to last forever and like I said, I'm coming over to the states later in the year so that might be the perfect opportunity to upgrade.

Someone has yet to answer my third question, is it much harder to get up and just ride on a wakeskate compared to a wakeboard?
88SUPRA
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Florida

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerra, getting up on a skate is really no different than a wakeboard. You have wakeboarded, so skateing will come just the same (at least behind a boat we get up the same way)
If you ride cable, then you will have to learn to jump off the dock and onto the skate. (thats the cool way) But at first, I would just sit on the edge like most of the wakeboarders do.

You will love riding the skate verses the wake board. Once you get the feel of your board, you will never look back.

Nerra
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 88SUPRA, I'll be riding cable. The other guys i saw wakeskating did the jump off the dock trick like you described but I did wonder if it was possible to do the normal bench sit start like the wakeboarders do.

I'm really looking forward to giving it a go, no bindings just seems the natural way.

I've placed an order for a LF Faction, it should arrive this week so I'll have it for this weekend.
sparrow.2
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Cologne/Germany

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nerra!

Don't worry about getting onto the water with the skate. It's a pretty straightforward sitting dockstart just like on a wakeboard. Fins make the start easier but feels too stoik the rest of the time.

Whereabouts do you go riding in the UK? I'm living in exile in Germany and they have loads of ace cables here Very Happy

If you liked wakeboarding you're going to love skating!

Good luck!
Nerra
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sparrow

Well I'm glad a sitting start is straight forward, hopefully I should be up and riding in no time.

The place I went was in sheffied called Sheffield Cable Waterski http://www.sheffieldcablewaterski.com/ it had a really good atmosphere and there were a few jumps and rails etc, so it looks like there is quite a bit to progress to.

Sounds like its quite popular over in Germany? How long you been doing it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: