FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Patent help (reply to Erich's post with this information)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThomasNguyen
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Austin

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Patent help (reply to Erich's post with this information) Reply with quote

Quote:

Patents are expensive and usually not worth the effort unless you have an extremly unique idea and specialized applacation for it that you your self manufacture... It should have all the bugs worked ou,t and won't evolve much further than when it was filed.
There are many ways around them just by slightly changing something... Once things come out and the deck evoles there original pattent might be nullified.
You need a good lawyer and have every posible base covered. The paper work is mind numbing.

One of my good friends owns the patent on snowskates ... Stan Pleskunas his partner in the patent used to be my ex-partner in Mutiny... Weird ...
Anyway...

Burton sells these all day and night among other companies and he can't do a thing about it... or get paid for the idea... but, it cost a bit just to have some paper work that says this and that... Here is a link to the patent at the USPTO
::: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=dykema.INZZ.&s2=pleskunas.INZZ.&OS=IN/dykema+AND+IN/pleskunas&RS=IN/dykema+AND+IN/pleskunas

there are some cool images on there and specs. also some patents that are simular... also check out all the in's and out's of the "Claims section & description" I seriously would hate to work at the USPTO... lol .

I'm stoked for Thomas he has a good head for design, hopefully their patent will work well for them...

I've been gone from these forums way too long, but thanks Erich, you saved me a lot of work, now I have a better patent format to work with. What though are you exactly saying that the USPTO did that you would have to hate to do? I have a few things filed with the USPTO, but I would hate to spend the big bucks on a design that can be stolen and altered.

Also, I'm unable to look at the images on the patent, and the description kind of hurts my head. Could you tell me what his product name is, so I could make my own comparison to see what differences seperate his patent from Burtons design? Thanks.

Anyhoo, I've been working on my own wakeskate design for about a year and a half, and it's cool to see a bi-level hit the market. If my wakeskate design every works (Prototype 6 right now) there won't be such a huge transition (sp?). Hopefully I can push the sport even half as much as you and Thomas Horrell have done. Sorry for multiple topics in such little words.
SleuCrew
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Oak Grove

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You left out one of the most important aspects of a patent... there are two diffrent ones you would need to look into, a Design patent and and Utility patent. Your Utility patent is by far more important and much more spesfic. This is what will keep other people from ripping off your idea. Its funny you mention the snowskate thing cause one of my best friends invented the snowskate AkA Premier! anyways if you want some more info on patents i will be more than happy to help you with what i know on them.
gregg
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Killen

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know much about patenting an invention, though i do know in music there is a a thing called a "poor man's copyright." This invovles writing out your song completely, mailing it to yourself and never opening it unles there is a claim made. This has worked wonders for one of my best friends and his music, but like i said i'm not sure if it would work with a patent.

"Novelty is the cross on which boredom is crucified." - Dada Manifesto
wakeriderof87
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: cen fla

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregg, i'm not understanding. just because you have a song in an envelope how does that make it a copyright
gregg
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Killen

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeriderof87, the envolope wil have a "goverment apporved" date stamped on it, so as long as you dont open it the courts cant say that you did not write the song by he date on the envolope.

"Novelty is the cross on which boredom is crucified." - Dada Manifesto
kento911
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another way of doing a poor mans patent, is to apply and stamp patent pending on your product then try to make all the scratch you can before the deadline to close application comes, most people won't invest in copying a product that could be potentially protected, so it buys you some time.
ThomasNguyen
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Austin

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, mailing yourself isn't good anymore. Check this article out...

http://www.inventionconvention.com/ncio/inventing101/002.html

Maybe it works for your friend, but I took a few steps beyond.

Edit: Now since this topic has moved a bit outside of wakeskating, maybe I should have rethought the post and put it in non-wakeskating....
revolutionconcepts
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Winter Park

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone hear about the wheelbarrow...thing??? i heard it wasn't patended...so a guy put a patent on it and made a crap ton of money.

::::::::INTEGRITY:::::::
www.integrity-wake.com

:::::::BRANDON BEACH:::::::
www.brandonbeachdesign.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RUSSIAN
Integrity Sheep

City: Where's my beer

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that to. I think I saw it on the history channel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: