FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

criteria

View previous topic :: View next topic  
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: criteria Reply with quote

Ok, so I need this cd...badly. I just heard two songs from criteria (both of which were in retrospect) and I have a headache...and the only remedy is to have the cd in my collection.

That's what I love about these videos. Outside of bump films, they introduce me to new bands (which I never try to search out otherwise...which is stupid).

And I say "outside of bump films" because I can hear that battle axe crap in mack dawg's flims...hahahaha...sorry....

You know, it's not really all crap...

kento911
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never heard of them what do they sound like, BTW I agree about the video music, and the fact that Battle Axe is getting a little played out.
electricsnow
cassette

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I read a little write up on criteria and I guess they're compared to weezer a lot, but I dont' think they sound like them at all (but keep in mind I'm basing this off of two songs). Personally, they remind me of trans am...but I wouldn't consider myself to be a super-duper music critic. But the music is beautiful...you have to see retrospect and then watch thomas' part and scott's last part...the music is perfect.

Yeah, I wouldn't harsh bump so much if they wouldnt' use so much battle axe music...sheesh, he even used it for the mastercraft commercial. So I'm basically over that stuff...

EDIT: I'll just describe the music. Criteria kind of reminds me of built to spill too. And as far as my trans am comparison, leave out any electronic songs. The stuff I heard was more rock with awesome instrumentation and cool as ice lyrics. That probably doesn't help much...I'm not too articulate in the ways of music (when I have to talk about it).

NaRC-P rider
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Narcoossee

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricsnow, i know what you're talking about. i'm crazy about that song by criteria, "thorn sharp". i went to best buy looking for their cd and couldnt find it anywhere. wakeboard videos have introduced me to so much stuff: postal service, bright eyes, frou frou, built to spill, rilo kiley, criteria... jeez i dont even know, so much stuff. my favorites are the postal service and frou frou. i have to be in the right mood for bright eyes or rilo kiley. i'm diggin criteria, if i could just find their cd...

i think keith lant should get a pro spotlight
electricsnow
cassette

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool narc-p rider. And the cd IS on the internet. I had to do some searching...at first I wanted to download those two songs (legally, from music match) but all they had were some old songs and a profile. but the cd is called "en garde" and it was released in 2003. I checked it out, and it's available for 14.00, which includes shipping. I'm just waiting a bit...I'm trying not to be so impulsive with my money.
electricsnow
cassette

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so I crumbled. The cd is available on saddle creek's site, and if you choose Usps first class, the shipping is like 60 cents.
kento911
Kickflip
Kickflip

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool Ill have to check that out, after I buy retrospect
Patrick Quinn
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wake movies definitely open your eyes to sick tunes, and I totally agree with the bump films thing. Although you have to like that Battle Axe releases all there CD's twice, once with lyrics and once just instrumental, thats a big help to movie makers.

Frou frou and Postal Service are sick, if you like those bands, go see the movie Garden State, it features both on the soundtrack. It's only playing in a few theatres near me but its worth the drive. It the writer, director and lead actor are all the same, Zach Brahf, from the TV show Scrubs, which is also sick. Anyways, the soundtrack is unreal, and it features Frou Frou- Let Go (sames as the pre-pop trailer) and Postal Service- Such Great Height (from Sfumato and the snowboard movie Lame- also a killer sound track). Coolest part is he uses Postal Service in the teaser, but in the movie its an acoustic version, such a sick track.

And I would have to agree with retrospect, great soundtrack, and the two Criteria songs are amazing. Thomas Horrell's section is a thing of beauty, as is the final section. How about the other tunes though? Cat Stevens- The Wind for Randy? Unreal. That Black Eyed Peas song is super catchy too. But to top it all off I'd have to say that Greg Nelson's section has the best tune of all, Barry Manilow- Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed...just a flat out great song to dance to, if anyone knows where I can find this song let me know.

P.S. check out Lame, its a sick movie.
electricsnow
cassette

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is pretty funny. Patrick, we basically have the same opinion on most of this stuff. You're right, thomas' part is beautiful (and I keep listening to byerly's part and it's amazing too). And greg's part? I loved it the first time...and I was shocked when I found out it was barry manilow! And it really does work...it turned out to be a good part. And as for randy, that song was actually amazing, and it was crazy how they went from an upbeat, non-traditional "video" song to a mellow non-traditional song, yet they both fit so well. And the first ten or fifteen times I saw randy's part, I couldn't help but get the chills. I just found the song to be meaningful when you see randy riding so big and (sorry to sound cheesy) free, and then you think about his personality and I just thought the song fit. I actually have both of those songs (the wind and "who's been sleeping in my bed") so if you want a copy of those songs, just let me know. I also downloaded grubb's song (blue monday by an old 80's band).

As I said, i also bought criteria, so if you want to wait, I could put those five songs on a disk for you.

And lame is an OK soundtrack, but I liked afterbang much better. I'm highly anticipationg afterlame, that's for sure...

rob wharton
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Tallahassee

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Criteria "En Garde" is on iTunes Music store for 9.99 immediate download of the whole cd. iTunes works for PC's now too, so everyone can use the Music Store.

"Chinese girls, Chinese girls, Chinese girls, Chloe, Chinese girls, Japan, cassette, cassette, cassette, DVS, cassette, my hair, cassette"
electricsnow
cassette

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a) itunes suck
b) I have dial-up

Haha, they don't suck. But I do have dial-up...and for the most part, those pay to play services are a rip off because you don't even get any cd packaging with a case/lyrics/pictures, ect. So I try to do that as little as possible...but thanks for the heads-up.

kento911
Kickflip
Kickflip

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue monday is by "New Order" Orgy did a remake that was pretty good too IMO If you decide you like the orgy cover also look up stitches another good Orgy song

as far as snowboarding, I still like John Jackson's (i think that's his name, I always want to call him jack johnson) section in "white balance" the pet shop boys works so well for that section.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: