FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The latest update on Cassette's website...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg van wagnen
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Columbus

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Josh"]They bring lies and bullsh*t to the table and try to sell it too the masses. They promote an attitude of 'doing it for the bling' - the cash, the fame, the product, not the love of the sport.

thats the main reason you shouldnt want corpurations in wakeskating, other then that who cares if they make more people in the world aware of wakeskating? it might bring in people that dont know sh*t about wakeskateing and just want to be famous, but i highly doubt that there are going to be that many people that start just to be famous. i think the most that would come of it would be a lot of kids trying it becuase it looks cool and more parents liking it becuase its like skateboarding but the kids dont get hurt as often and it can become more of a family sport. for years wakeboarding was a thing that me and my dad would go do, and now my stepbrother does it too. a lot of my cousins wakeboard or want too wakeboard just becuase its cool and becuase they see me do it. none of them are like i want to be a pro thats the only reason i am going to do it. so im not sure if thats proving you right or wrong and i dont really care but bringing in major corprations will only cause more awareness of the sport that will lead to more people trying it and most of the people im sure will not be doing it to be the next brian grubb, especialy when it takes them a hole day to figure out how to get up on the board. i can still rember the first time i tried to wakeboard. there is no way it was in my mind that i was doing something that i have now been doing for more then half my life and am now trying to be a "pro" at it (a form of it, i started on a skurfer so it was very close to a wakeskate)

crackerjack
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Salisbury

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk about corporate involvement in the wakeskate world promoted me to dig this up. It is a Consolidated Skateboards ad that ran in Thrasher in December 2001. I think it fits the mood quite well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE GIVE AND TAKE

Don't you hate it when one of your favorite riders gets endorsed by a company you don't like or that isn't even a skateboard company? Usually it's cuz they offered him a lot of money to try to legitimize their company in skateboarding. So don't hate the skateboarder-he is just trying to feed his family.

These non-skateboarding companies see that skateboarding is getting popular and they want a piece of the action. When they pay riders, run ads, and sponsor events, they are "giving" to skateboarding. Though they appear to be giving, they are not "saviors." Their motives are to take away more than they give. These companies aren't dumb, but they think we are.

So What do You Do??!!!

Just don't buy their products. You see, if you don't buy their products then they can't take more then they give. And don't worry, since they're big companies, they'll keep paying the riders, and when one gives up, another will step in.

These companies know that lots of skateboarders already know this, so they try to hide really good, with different names and separate warehouses. But it's not that hard to figure out-just ask around. Skate shops usually know.

So let them keep giving. Maybe someday we can even say thank you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep.

As for Cassette, I think that its great that they actually have personality. Say what you want but Cassette has a vision for wakeskating. One that has innovation, progression, and creativity in mind. Certainly not a vision that includes
484rider wrote:
trickski based move
and things of that nature. I am not saying that I endorse slandering peers, but I certainly prefer it to faceless product pumping media hype junk that wouldn’t voice an opinion unless there marketing department said opinions were the in thing. Personally I think it would be hilarious if the Cassette crew showed the actual footage of the ole 540 in there next video.

Josh wrote:
Quote:

Josh, would it be cool if it was Hyperlite dissing the competition?

Sure, add a little fun in the industry. Why not. But of course that would never happen. The diss would have to go through their marketing department before they ever sent it out via press release anyway...

LOL

...andoutcomethewolves wrote:
Its seems to me the Cassette team is only worried about themselves lately and not for the progression of the sport

????????

W8kryder wrote:
As athletes, you are all ambassadors for our sport and how you behave and what you say is a reflection of this industry and everyone in it.

Personally, I would much rather have these guys as ambassadors than some of the other options out there. I don’t want some individuals who are just looking for more ways to squeeze more logo’s or who practice their runs week in and week out for the comps.

W8kryder wrote:
What kind of message are you sending these kids?

That’s a really good question. I guess it all depends on what you are trying to market to their demograph.

W8kryder wrote:
populated by this type of rider demographic.

Ohhh yeah, Don’t ever refer to me like that again. I am not a market study, I am not a consumer of units per capita. I am an individual who can think for myself.

Peace,
Bryan

funnyfeni
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: casselberry

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone seen that disney movie Brink? that's all im saying...soul skater all the way..Yeah!!!!
Yuri
Raley

City: orlando

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funnyfeni, i have but i wouldnt mind being sponsered!
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ad is exactly right. I personally think there's a catch 22 with corporate involvement--on one hand, more money means more riders (that are deserving of it, hopefully) could potentially live off of what they love and help progress themselves and wakeskating (provided they aren't confused and all of a sudden think they're rock stars). However, the "athletes" are disposable and companies don't care about us; if you get hurt or you're finished, they'll just find somebody else (Hey, did that Mountain dew sponsorship really help dean lavelle? 50,000.....)

I would like to add that a larger sport will bring more people into it that aren't riding for the right reasons. For instance, how do you explain all of the young kids that go onto message boards, can't spell and say "I can do 180s and touch my board. How can I get sponsored?" Also, last summer at a wakeboard comp, I actually witnessed a mother make her 10-12 year old son recite his run to her (and it was a stupid, meaningless comp). Trust me, not everyone coming in has the best intentions for wakeskating (or wakeboarding, whatever).

funnyfeni
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: casselberry

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry dude.. i mean this post reminds me of the movie.. but im cool with sponsorships. i was just poking fun. we should have talking mesage boards. where you can record your voice.. being sarcastic is hard while typing
skatingguy
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Birmingham

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, like I could say "I'm through with wakeskating and skateboarding forever. All this drama is making me not like it anymore. I'm just going to Rollerblade from now on, because Rollerblades are cooler and..uuhh..more extreme! I think I'll find some way to take rollerblading to the water, and then I'll be all cool."
And then people would actually believe me, like they seemed to with that damn rainforest nonsense I posted earlier.
greg van wagnen
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatingguy, ill start fruitbooting with you.....o i ment rollerfagging....damn i cant even say it but im in. Laughing
skatingguy
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In-line wakeskating; yeah we could do mad wake-to-wake soul grabs!! Sweet! See you guys at the lake, I got my new sport and am ready to blow some minds. Yeah, you heard me.
greg van wagnen
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im only in it for the money though, not becuase its fun Twisted Evil
484rider
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollerblading on water is like shoe sking...dont u agree?
greg van wagnen
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was a joke
skatingguy
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Shoe skiing." Is that real? Or is my sarcasm detector malfunctioning?
wakeriderof87
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: cen fla

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure if its called shoe skiing but they have these trainer skis that you can use to learn to barefoot on
484rider
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no...they are different from the trainers. theyre about14 inches long and about 7inches wide. we have some fags that do it here on my lake. i just make fun of them by imatating them on the wakeskate. its soo funny cuz they get soo pissed.
wakeriderof87
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: cen fla

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no offense but why make fun of them, they like doing something different who cares
skatingguy
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, 484rider if you're pissed (I don't know if you are or not) about the Cassette guys making fun of you for your Ole 540, you probably shouldn't be making fun of shoe skiers and calling them "fags," you know?
UdBhotrinthefire
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: seattle

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no trix skiing is the best thing ever. You gotta pull out the 80's day at least once in the summer.
dankskate
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: gainesville

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with skatingguy, chase you are being hypocritical. you make fun of the skiers but yet you do trick skier tricks in comps and expect not get ragged on. 'welcome to crazy world'
stussy
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A song by the rascalz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Add To Favorites

Jump to: