FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

The latest update on Cassette's website...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg Lantz
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys need to grow up. not everyone likes each other. thats life. cassette can do whatever they want. learn to take a joke or just don't hang out with those people who joke on you. who gives a f*ck. stop crying about it and get over it.
sapporo
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill j, youre wrong. Seeded means that they are pre qualified, not that they are guaranteed a spot in the finals. Regardless it is always Horrell and Reed on the same first heat and Grubb with easier and LESS riders than on the other group. Count them for yourself. And what about the other points i made in my post, why dont you adress those as well if you really believe these contests are not slightly fixed.

outcomethewolves, glad you notice the difference. Regarding the aggressive behavior, personally i would punch in the face as hard as i can to whoever did that to me, even if they would beat my ass. Growing up in the ghetto in Okinawa i learned that early in life. Got my ass kicked quite a few times, but eventually the bullies picked somebody else.

greg van wagnen, of course just one trick doesnt win a contest, but on those runs Reed did more stuff than that. My point is if two riders had good runs but one landed the shove of the rail (which by the way it isnt that low, and it also is sketchy) that should win the contest. I disagree that a 360 of the kicker is as difficult or as good looking or as "skatey" as a bs board to shove.

arigatou,
Sapporo
UFwakeskate
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Gainesville

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this is getting ridiculous. Cassette can say what they want. I like the fact that they have the guts (for lack of a better word) to call someone out that maybe people have a certain perception of who might not be the nicest person or a class act (i.e. Grubb). They didn't like Chase's ole and thats their choice too. Cassette is the BEST company to promote wakeskating. Their riders and employees interact on this message board when they surely don;'t have to (Thomas, Josh Johnson) and they put out the best products hands down right now. Their marketing is unique and their team is the strongest for wakeskating. They can talk all the "shizzle" they want on their site becuase they can back it up with their riding and product.
BillJ
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapporo, it's too bad that you don't know what you're talking about. I hit every pro tour stop except Kelowna so I think I have a little more insight than you. But since you don't believe it here are the FACTS:

Orlando:

Pro Wake Skate Qualifying (1 each heat advance to Finals)

HEAT # 1

1 Clint Tomplins (FL)36.67
2 Brannon Meek (FL)33.33
3 Joshua Steele (TX)30.00
4 Jim Leatherman (FL) 26.67
5 Brandon Thomas (FL) 23.33

HEAT # 2

1 Aaron Reed (FL)50.00
Daniel Lovett (FL)40.00
Tim Kovacich (FL)30.00
Tony Berard (LA) 20.00
John Melton (LA) 10.00

Pro Wake Skate Seeding Rd (4 seeded for Finals)

1 Brian Grubb (FL)50
2 Thomas Horrell (FL) 40
3 Scott Byerly (FL)30
4 Drew McGuckin (FL) 20

http://www.prowakeboardtour.com/article.jsp?ID=8120

If you look at the results from the tour you'll see that Grubb and Horrell competed in the seeding round and then again in every final.

http://www.wakeworld.com/Galleries/GetImage.asp?GalleryID=121&ImageID=45
http://www.prowakeboardtour.com/article.jsp?ID=8424
http://www.prowakeboardtour.com/article.jsp?ID=8577
http://www.prowakeboardtour.com/article.jsp?ID=8627
http://www.prowakeboardtour.com/article.jsp?ID=8710

Be sure to notice the wording in the last article:

Pro Wakeskating Seeding

(all three advance to Sunday finals)

1. Brian Grubb 97
2. Drew McGuckin 94
3. Thomas Horrell 91

And no, I don't think it's politics. I think Grubb rode better in most of the finals than Thomas did. As in wakeboarding, the scoring is split between wake tricks, rails, and overall run composition. So someone landing one killer trick isn't going to win the competition.

Hopefully that's clear enough for you to understand. The only 2 comps where Grubb and Horrell had to compete to make finals were Nationals and Worlds.
clitmaster
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is that funny,skateboarding has a lot to with wakeskating
greg van wagnen
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Columbus

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapporo, i think you are totaly corect to say that the contests are not conpletly fair but how can they be. and as for knowing how high the rail is on the tour, thanks for telling me how high it is. i guess i forgot, it has been almost a week now since i have hit it.
Paco
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Miami

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill :: not that i like to be the ref : but i drove Aaron and Thomas to the texas competition.
the plan was to hang out with dave in new orleans : but we had to dip after a quick stop cause the boys had to qualify on friday we were all pretty pissed about it : the plan was to have a night on the quarter and have some crawfish.

next time for sure dave : what do u say? :: paco

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BillJ
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paco, sorry I didn't include the Ft Worth event. You're absolutely right, just like Nationals and Worlds, everyone had to qualify for wakeskating. The seeding was only done for the pro tour events. And it looks like Grubb had a much easier heat than Horrell in Ft Worth too.
W8kryder
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh,

Personally I think your comments posted on the Cassette website showed a complete lack of respect for fellow riders in this industry. I witnessed the minor scuffold Saturday night Josh and both parties were at fault. It was a complete misunderstanding and apologies were given the next day. Most of your crew talked hella smack even after an apology was offered. Then to top it off, you post some stupid shizzle making the Cassette guys look like punks. (From my perspective) As athletes, you are all embassadors for our sport and how you behave and what you say is a reflection of this industry and everyone in it. There are a lot of young riders who look at you guys and strive to be in your position some day. What kind of message are you sending these kids by being sarcastic and publically making smart ass remarks about fellow riders? People may not like Grubb for what ever reason. I find him very approachable and a great role model for our industry. On the other hand I have found some of your crew very offish and rude at times when approached. I find that Grubbs success makes him an easy mark for haters. Maybe he isn't the best freerider in my opinion he is and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Grow up and focus on your passion. That's why you do what you do right? For the love of the sport? You pissed a lot of people off that have made this sport what it is today. Not a very smart move on your part. But maybe like your comments, you don't give a shizzle.

Solo Production Media @
www.StevenHahn.com
Josh
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Melbourne, OZ

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe... Athletes... Hehehe

Integrity
SideSwipe Productions
Wake Euphoria
RUSSIAN
Integrity Sheep

City: Where's my beer

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this isn't fruit booting. skateboarding did not become the industry it is by being "nice" and "just having fun". these kind's of actions force people to progress. I think chase is the only one who should be upset about this.

we are not on seseme street. this is a competitive industry and the major players are usually under 25. think about it
W8kryder
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part our top level professionals are aged between 12 and 25 years of age. There are numerous discussion boards populated by this type of rider demographic. Hence the immature nature of threads and bashing of pro athletes. (POST YOUR HOT BABE PIC'S) I still view that thread when it comes up. With success comes responsibility. Just because you are successful doesn't mean you're a sell out. What these young adults and up and coming riders need to understand, in my opinion, is how much these guys are doing for our sport. They are opening doors with new sponsors and helping promote our sport by increasing media coverage and popularity. Cross selling into other sports like Motocross and other fortune 500 industries like Kellogs and Disney. Ultimately this means more money in the long run. This can only make the road for future competitors and easier one to travel.

But, in my opinion, you can try to sell these guys till you're blue in the face! But there will always be a few punk's out there that will fuel the fire for their own personal amusement in an effort to fulfill their own insecurity. Only hurting the industry and slowing it's progress down for everyone. Sad but true.

Solo Production Media @
www.StevenHahn.com
Josh
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go punks!

Anyone who reads this, I urge you to get behind these so called 'punks' of wakeskating and support the hell out of them. Unless you want wakeskating to become the latest playground for corporations to meddle with that is...

Integrity
SideSwipe Productions
Wake Euphoria
Schmaltz
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: San Jose

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...
...i like the fact that Slim Jim, Mountain dew, Nautica (or your favorite multi conglomerate corporation) could get involed with wake skating... it really helps progress the sport in the right direction... Laughing especially when young kids just want to get $ponsors make cold cash, let it all go to their head... it's all about the money, the poparazzi, the contests (fame and fortune)......
...YEAH RIGHT>>>
...Give it a rest, ride cause you love it, chickity china the chinese chicken the money, chickity china the chinese chicken the fame, chickity china the chinese chicken the corporations... all they want is another nitch market (if it fits into there demographics) to sell more junk food, jeans and bulljive to mindless cattle... thats all it comes down too... you think they give a rats ass about progressing Wake skating? ...guess again pal... throw corporations in the mix and you get a whole new animal in my opinion ... the real shizzle goes down behind the sceen... Grass roots... no sponsors, just true self expression unmolested...

here is your Quote-
"you can try to sell these guys till you're blue in the face! But there will always be a few punk's out there that will fuel the fire for their own personal amusement in an effort to fulfill their own insecurity. Only hurting the industry and slowing it's progress down for everyone. Sad but true."

Call em' Punk or call it free thinking... my fire is fuled by love and personal integrity... it's people like you that would sell their soul out for a fricking Nacho Cheese Dorito... you see it one way i see it another...

Money is the root of all Evil, not gossip...
and competition kills creativity...
... please define sucess...
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess to start, the actions of the cassette team are reflections of their personalities, not the industry as a whole. Yes, some people have a problem separating the two, which leads to stereotyping and generalizing, but what it comes down to is they are allowed to live and act as they wish, as it is not our right to say what they can and can not do. Nobody is perfect and different personalities are the spice of life (or this industry, for that matter). And even if you're different, you can still be successful and be "rewarded," so to speak. For instance, Burton has this new line of bards called "unic." (sp) I won't go into the whole story about them, but basically jeffy anderson (RIP) said that the most non-corporate thing Burton could do would be to give a bunch of drunk punks a pro model. So they did--in fact, about a month ago two members that have an UNIC pro model were arrested because of their involvement in a bar fight. With that said, you can still be an individual in an industry like this and be successful, and not have to worry about people condemning you for your actions. Punks DON’T ruin an industry, they just give it flavor! (closed minded people are the ones that ruin it.) People like this are in every industry, I just think wakeboarding does a good job of covering it up in their industry.

Also, if you've seen hotdoggin, or even the documentary (or mockumentary?) ole blue, you'll see that a lot of the cassette guys have been the way they are for awhile (drinking, having fun like they want to without worrying about what others think...). Their actions aren't some new stunt to bring attention to them; it just seems like that's how they are.

As for the complaint that some of the Cassette riders are somewhat unapproachable, not everyone is a people person. For instance, I found it difficult to talk to Scott Byerly. Afterwards, I even felt like a complete idiot…I don’t know what happened, but I felt totally stupid. Does that mean that I have any less respect for him? No—let’s face it, not everyone can be a Shaun Murray. Quite frankly, this is very characteristic of any team; Cassette is just getting heat for it because of the controversy.

Lastly, I think that if you look for it with open eyes, cassette (with Thomas in particular) has a great message to send to people. Look at what Thomas has built for himself-- how many 26-year-old entrepreneurs do you know of? He started out with Cassette and now has a distribution firm, lyuno, and the heart throb club (and who know what else is planed for the future). I don’t know; Thomas has built an incredible outlet for himself, so I’m not sure what other inspiration is necessary.

Oh yeah, I thought we all learned that “athletes” (or artists, however you want to look at it) aren’t role models. If you look at today’s media, I’m sure you’ll see why...

W8kryder
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have much respect for all those who ride for the love of the sport. As an growing industry, larger corporations and growing media exposure can only help smaller companies like Cassette grow and flurish. More exposure helps get more people involved in our sport. Which means new board inovations and increasing distribution. This allows smaller companies to grow and and give us new gear and new technology year after year. Whether riders ride to compete or just spend the day on the lake, corporations getting invloved in growing this industry means something to everyone.

Solo Production Media @
www.StevenHahn.com
derrick
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: orlando

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erich,
Your words and opinion/input is a breath of fresh air.
Hahn, corporations are not beneificial except for the fatcats sitting at the top. Corporations suck everything that they are involved with dry. Whether it be a sport, community, or what ever might come to your mind.
peace
Derrick
W8kryder
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty short sighted and narrow minded.

Solo Production Media @
www.StevenHahn.com
Josh
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's pretty true. Do you honestly believe that a corporation getting involved in wakeskating will help progress the sport? HOW?

Let's face it, these huge multinationals you speak of would get in in for one reason and one reason alone. So they can make money. They don't give a rats a$$ about the sport. They see potential customers and will suck this sport dry and then move on when they see the next niche market spring up. They'll milk it for all it's worth to them.

They bring lies and bullsh*t to the table and try to sell it too the masses.
They promote an attitude of 'doing it for the bling' - the cash, the fame, the product, not the love of the sport.

Compromises in the sport and the way people represent themselves must be made for these corporations... I don't like compromising.

The people who really progress the sport are the ones who are in it from the start and stick with it. They have a passion and a vision. They're down for the cause.

Not the suits who see a way to rake in the dough by trying to push their way into what they see as the latest, greatest thing to market.

Integrity
SideSwipe Productions
Wake Euphoria
derrick
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: orlando

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahn,
you are quick to call what I said short sided and narrow minded, but yet you offer no defense or back up of your words. Face it, your buying into these corporations, you buy into as josh says "'doing it for the bling' - the cash, the fame, the product, not the love of the sport. " that these corporations put out. Nothing to do with the love, the passion or a vision that one might have. Involve corporations into this sport and they will suck it dry just like walmart has done and will keep doing to small communities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Add To Favorites

Jump to: