FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Cassette Announces Revolutionary Bi-Level Wakeskate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schmaltz
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: San Jose

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patents are expensive and usually not worth the effort unless you have an extremly unique idea and specialized applacation for it that you your self manufacture... It should have all the bugs worked ou,t and won't evolve much further than when it was filed.
There are many ways around them just by slightly changing something... Once things come out and the deck evoles there original pattent might be nullified.
You need a good lawyer and have every posible base covered. The paper work is mind numbing.

One of my good friends owns the patent on snowskates ... Stan Pleskunas his partner in the patent used to be my ex-partner in Mutiny... Weird ...
Anyway...

Burton sells these all day and night among other companies and he can't do a thing about it... or get paid for the idea... but, it cost a bit just to have some paper work that says this and that... Here is a link to the patent at the USPTO
::: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=dykema.INZZ.&s2=pleskunas.INZZ.&OS=IN/dykema+AND+IN/pleskunas&RS=IN/dykema+AND+IN/pleskunas

there are some cool images on there and specs. also some patents that are simular... also check out all the in's and out's of the "Claims section & description" I seriously would hate to work at the USPTO... lol .

I'm stoked for Thomas he has a good head for design, hopefully their patent will work well for them...
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one thing to be inspired by a design, but it's quite another to actually incorporate it into a product of a different genre and make it work (ie making the original cassette concaves a reality, etc). That's just my opinion...
nick
Island Rat

City: Honokowai

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricsnow, perfect wording on that one, really
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta agree with electricsnow, looking at another sport and saying, "oh that would work well for what were doing" , versus actually making it appliciable and funtional for a suited application in this case wake skating takes a lot of design talent, kudos to Thomas, I feel he is definately taking it in the right direction
Mr. F
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bi level decks will surely deliver higher pops and easier hollies!! But what about edging out? It seams that the top deck will also drag in the water.....problem?! Rolling Eyes
Rob
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Stockholm/Sweden

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. F, Why would that be a problem? You edge with the lower deck, right? When we snowskate in the winter we have no problems with top deck draging in the snow, maybe they aren't comparable but they seem to work the same way...

I'm wondering about the fin set-up on the bi levels? (size? set up? nose slide fins?)

cfxomega
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone please scan and post the ad from Alliance mag that was mentioned yesterday...thanks

Last edited by cfxomega on Feb 17, 2011 2:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
livewirelp
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the edging thing... I kind of agree that it may be a bit squirrely. If the top deck has some springy relationship with the bottom deck, it may not be entirely predictable in how it edges. By that I mean, it's going to feel weird because we are used to tilting the board on the rail to rail axis during the edge, but the energy we put into that tilt won't necessarily directly translate into the bottom board. This is probably a pretty incoherent post, but it makes sense to me
cfxomega
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

livewirelp wrote:
About the edging thing... I kind of agree that it may be a bit squirrely. If the top deck has some springy relationship with the bottom deck, it may not be entirely predictable in how it edges. By that I mean, it's going to feel weird because we are used to tilting the board on the rail to rail axis during the edge, but the energy we put into that tilt won't necessarily directly translate into the bottom board. This is probably a pretty incoherent post, but it makes sense to me
There is only 1/8" between the two boards...you probably won't feel "raised" from the water as if you were on a skateboard. I'm wondering how many plys the bottom deck will be...will they be taking some plys out of the bottom deck to keep weight down because of the top deck?

Also, you probably can't feel the "flex" of the top board on the edges, only on the kicktails. I've never seen or touched the boards for myself though so this is pure speculation...

Last edited by cfxomega on Feb 17, 2011 2:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
INDEFINITE
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I am predicting that this board is going to change everything that we know of wakeskating, the "snap" or ollie of the deck, the responsiveness, as well as; the whole psychological feel of being on top of the water and not in the water as to say as a conventional wakeskate. It will be like that more of skateboarding on the water, the tricks will "probably" become more of skate style, and the ability to produce more creative tricks will become unlimited. I expect this board, and its endless possibilities to change the whole aspect of wakeskating to a positive one, and not with gimmicks, but with simple physics/engineering.
stompin9s
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Vail - CO

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfxomega, yeah everyone thinks its gonna be like 2-3 inches off of the water like a snowskate or skateboard...ur post made the most sense so far...an 8th of an inch is a pretty small gap [ ] probably like that big people
livewirelp
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, but it works both ways. Yeah, it's only 1/8th an inch... that means that the increased leverage isn't all that much either.
jerrysk8
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: QLD, Australia

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be like riding a delaminated board. with just an 1/8th of an inch gap there's proably not gonna be any gap, especially on the tail, when you ride the board due to the force you apply to it. does that make sense?

Legends never die - R.I.P. S.C.
David Legler
linear perspective

City: Durham

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just noticed that the byerly wakeskate in the alliance has one of the fins on it that you can use to do noseslides and such.
wcwakeskater
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Vicksburg

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somebody has to post pics! Crazy Eyes
nick
Island Rat

City: Honokowai

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seriously, anybody? ... electricsnow i know you get alliance and have a scanner
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry che blanc, I don't even have the magazine yet. It takes awhile for it to make its way up this way...If I'm lucky I'll have it by saturday, but I'm not very lucky so...
el
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: The Sea

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if I had a scanner I could alleviate the problem... who wants to give me a scanner?
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, the idea is awesome but just as a reminder: it is (so far) only an announcement of what might come (remember 2004 decks?) and it sounds (so far) as only a mere water application of what Burton and/or Salomon bi level snowskates are! Where is the innovation ....I don’t get it.......I like cassette, I do respect cassettes team and their rad riding but common.......this is so far only propaganda about a technology that is still yet to come... and NO…. IT IS NOT INNOVATION but application of what exist already since 2 years in the snowskate industry..
Rob
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Stockholm/Sweden

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Cassette made their first wakeskate with grip, I don't remember people calling it an "application" of skateboards. It was more like an innovation of mixing two boards together. (skateboard/wakeboard) Yes, snowskates have the same technology but making it work on the WATER makes them an innovation to me........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Add To Favorites

Jump to: