FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

dave's rail?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stussy
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Sep 30, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: dave's rail? Reply with quote

hi dave this one is for you, on wakeboarder.com, theres some footy of you doing a boardslide shov off on that rail thats built into the water... how do you build that rail and are you alowd to leave it in there like that? that rail looks so good, its like the ones on the kampus site footage
Dave Barousse
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rail is really sweet. It is made out of fence posting, a 2x6, synthetic wood decking and some fence brackets. My friend and I just went to Home Depot one day and used our imagination and came up with a good concept. We didn't want to have to leave them out there, so we made it to where we can set them up and take them down in less than 10 minutes. The synthetic wood slides great and is cheap.

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showphoto.php?photo=187&password=&sort=7&thecat=512
greg van wagnen
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Columbus

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you give us details on how to make rails like the two i see in the video that go up and down in 10 mins? id love to have a rail but the people on the like will get all pissed off and make us take it down but if we dont leave it up unless were using it they shouldnt care to much. whats cost and some details of how to make it or something?
Seth Martin
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! dave's rail??? Seth's rail!!!!

Its all good. This simple rail provided many, many hours of fun. Everyone really was excited about it and helped out a lot.

What i did for the first rail was buy:

1 - 20 foot 2x6 pressure treated
7 - fence posts, standard size - not the corner posts
7 - brackets that attach the posts to the 2x6, these are an L shaped bracket that are fastened to the 2x6, then a strap goes around the post and is secured to the bracket with some bolts. I don't know the formal name for them.
1 - 16 foot section of composite decking material
1 - 8 foot section of composite decking material
1 - fence-post-driver

brought all this back to the shop and slapped the 16 foot section of decking material on top of the 2x6, screwed it down with wood screws. Cut the other piece of decking material to 4 foot and screwed it down to completely cover the 2x6.

Next flipped it all over so the wood side was up, so that the brackets could be fastened. I spaced them out evenly and then screwed them down with more wood screws.

Assembly on water:
We were on a sand bar and this worked great. I have no idea how this will work in other types of soil.
I usually set the rail up in waist deep water, so coose a spot where the water is anywhere from 2-3 foot. Set one if the fence posts by hand so that it is in the ground pretty good. Next put the rail in the water and use it to line everything up. It will float, so just dedicate someone to holding it in place. Take the other 4 fence posts and push them into the ground so that they are secure. Once all 5 are in a straight line get out the fence-post-driver and pund them into the ground. Get them all the same level and then place the 2x6 on top. Bolt the straps in place and you are ready to slide.

Since ours was set up in sand, we were limited on how high we could go, but the posts could easily be removed, it took some shaking but they would eventually come out. Mud may be different. The better the ground holds the pipe the higher you can make the rail. But it may not be that easy to remove the pipes.

Also, if you are in sand, you can use a fatsack pump to "dredge' out a hole, either to set or remove the posts.

If you need more detail or my babbling didn't make any sense ask Dave for better explanation.

stussy
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave so you actually take the posts out of the ground everytime?(in ten minutes)
stussy
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and dave can you noseslide ?
Dave Barousse
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace all the "I's" in Seth's post with "We" and "Ours".

Stussy,
Yes, we would take it in and out in ten minutes are less. It was very simple.

I have not tried to noseslide my wakeskate yet. I can noseslide on a skateboard, so I think I could do it on my wakeskate if I spent some time working on it. We set these rails up a bunch last season and still have yet to set them up this season. Seth and I both sold our boats, so we didn't have a way out to the sandbar this year. We could only get there by boat.
David Legler
linear perspective

City: Durham

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
Have you been working on a video or anything? i would like to see how riding has progressed and stuff. the only time i have gotten to see you ride is in that first video you posted.

Dave Barousse
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
I have not been filming at all. I think I only have one session on film of me from this season. This has been a weird season for me. Honestly, I only rode half as much as I usually do. I hurt my knee in July and couldn't ride again until the end of August. Plus, before the season, I took a new job and my wife and I moved to a new town. Right after that, I sold my boat. And to top it all off, my main riding partner sold his boat and it rained just about every day this summer. It has been totally nuts.

As for progression, I think the main thing I have improved this season is my consistency and linking tricks together. Even after sitting out for over a month, I was able to ride as if I never took time off. As I mentioned in my post earlier, I didn't do much sliding this season (that is pretty much all we did last season), but I really got into more technical tricks off the wake and some new lip tricks.

It has been a fun season, but it is a lot different without your own boat or your best friend's boat. If I would have been able to ride as much as I used to, this site would still be red.
wake-till-i-die
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: orlando

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave i remember in th e old forums you guys had a drawn diagram of how you guys made tis rail i have sapen the last year tryin to find it but now i have i always tought you guys did dome kind of welding but i geust not, i love this idea cuz cops will come and then u just take it down. keep up the revolt!!!

sorry got a lil emotional

funnyfeni
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: casselberry

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey dave i'll take your skates..if you dont want them Very Happy
Dave Barousse
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wake-till-i-die,
There was no welding. It was a very simple concept. Go to home depot and get a 2x6, some synthetic wood and then take a walk around the fencing section for pipes and brackets. It is really easy to find something that will work. The key is to have a good location where you can easily walk out into the water and set it up. Otherwise, I don't think our rail would have been successful.

funnyfeni,
Only if you come to my house and pick them up yourself.
wcwakeskater
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Vicksburg

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're in new orleans, not too far, what kind? Laughing
freerider4
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much did the rail cost
funnyfeni
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: casselberry

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im out the door in 5 mins.. i'll be there for dinner..make extra Very Happy
Dave Barousse
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I THINK it cost around $80.00 for everything. I'm not 100% sure though, it has been a while.

funnyfeni,
Come on down. We are having fried alligator, crawfish ettofeh, and all the raw oysters you can shuck. Aaaayyyeeehhh!!
stussy
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the deep south
Dave Barousse
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a little more info about the rail and a short video of us putting it together. I forgot that I had this or I would have posted it sooner.

This story and video was done after the first time we set it up and hit it (which we only had about an hour of daylight to do), so we got faster with it the more we set it up and took it down.

http://www.krookedminds.com/showarticle.php?id=103
Yuri
Raley

City: orlando

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats preety cool!
Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

City: Menlo Park/ Bay Area

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave i wanna build a rail like this and was wondering what the brackets looked liked?

ive got the wood and trex but i still gotta get the brackets and metal post.

thx for the desighn(sp?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Rails All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: