FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Honda GX200 vs Subaru Robin 7 hp vs Briggs And Stratton Inte
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Winching sponsored by Pulldozer.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which engine has worked well for you?
Honda GX200 6.5 hp
48%
 48%  [ 13 ]
Briggs and Stratton Intek 8 hp
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Subaru Robin 7 hp
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 27

SwissArmyKnife
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: PawPaw

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i work on small engines. i would go Briggs for sure... super reliable and if something does go sour, the parts are really easy to find and are cheaper.
JonnyBravo
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Brisbane!!

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it this way. My originial ghinch (the one that i had in a trolley) was pulled by a very old 5hp robin engine. My 7hp honda knock off (which im using now) is only just strong enough to do water starts. The robin i rekon would be almost as strong as the honda knock off. Robin all the way dude.

wakeskating naked. yes it's a trick
trevor881
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: keys

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well honda is the best, but the other two have more hp. any of them would be sick tho.
Soulprogression
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: St. Cloud

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got the 6.5 briggs and it'll pull you hella faster than you wana go and hasn't given me a problem yet, that 8 will be money for an insane winch. Look at it this way, we used to use briggs powered push mowers with our lawn service and we replaced them once a year, never for the engine, but because everything else fell apart. The motor will last forever, just treat her right.
CGA PFD
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: the "scene"

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor881 wrote:
well honda is the best, but the other two have more hp. any of them would be sick tho.

Whats "the best" about them? I know it isn't the throttle response. Or the price!

Is it just a statment about Honda as a company or the GX200 in particular?

Dont get me wrong, I love Honda as a company and as a horizontal shaft engine. Honda's are DOPE! I just dont think they are great for winches.
If I had a gas powered generator/air compressor/pressure washer/anything that would be running at WOT for an extended period of time, it would be rockin a Honda for sure.

They are quieter, have a low oil shut-off feature and get better fuel mileage. Thats all I can say are "better" about them, none of which are something I look for while choosing a winch engine.
Mine isnt much louder. You cant even hear it start up after you walk the rope out. And fuel mileage while winching!!! Smash I've probably spent $20 in the last year on gas.

Honda's are DOPE. Why do you think there are 40 different companies making EXACT copies of the GX series and not Briggs?

They just dont offer what I want in a winch engine. That doesnt mean the wont work fine for a winch.

BTW it's all personal opinion. You could get any of those and shred your local spot. One will cost you more though. Cool

Winch on wincher's.

JB_CANSKATE
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Markham, Ontario

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going with the briggs because I found it for the cheapest and I'm borrowing the money until schools done.

I'm also moving up to a 72 toothed sprocket. My winch is gonna be a heavy momma but she'll have a good strong pull.. Wink

Thanks for all the help!
iWinch
Ollie
Ollie

City: ATL

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda GX200 6.5HP - Weight: 41 Pounds
Briggs & Stratton 8HP Intek - Weight: 63 Pounds
Subaru EX21 Overhead Cam 7 HP Engine - Weight 35 Pounds

For what it's worth:
EX27 Overhead Cam 9 HP Engine - Weight 46 Pounds

One of the selling points for me was the overall dimmensions. Check into that. I remember the Briggs being very tall. The honda and Subaru are very small.

Chris - ATL, GA ... Cashville is my other home!
awatts
The Liquid Playground

City: San Mateo

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Subaru has treated me awesome. Gobs and gobs of power. I did go with the 9 horse and it is on the heavier side but you have all the power you will ever need.
peligro18
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a big ramp and i feel that in the last part i am not being pulled by a boat...that is the feeling i want...i want fast and torque... i weight 81 kg or 190 lbs
i have the subaru 7hp

i have the 10t tav and 40t sproket ...its a 40 chain...
i changed the 35chain of 12 in the tav with 55 on the sproket...

455rpms vs 467 with the new setup

what should i do? go for the 9hp or go with the 12 or 14 hp?
Bamalurker
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Guntersville

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the three engines you posted I would put the Honda on top and the suby second. The Briggs is rediculously heavy and unless your just backin your winch up to a pond weight is pretty important in my opinion. I have one of the older aluminum released winches and it's so much easier getting it into these remote winch spots than my buddies grinch and rediculous. Mine came with a genuine Honda gx200 that ran great for four years. Not just pullin me and my bros but pullin a two day railjam for the last three years. At the railjams it had to run ALL day. That engine (while still running) seemed to start losing a lil power so I got another Honda gx200 that was modified by nr racing. It was still only 400$ but has a bunch of simple mods that bump the HP up to 8.5. (stiffer valve springs, smaller cooling fan, advanced timing keyway, ported and polished, jetkit, hiflow filter and racing exhaust, and governor removed.) since the governer got removed I had to order a different throttle linkage kit to make the stock throttle arm work. I found the kit at affordable go karts.com for like 16$. I freakin love how much power is there when I need but when pulling an average sized person I have the wot screw turned in quite a bit. I'd highly recomend this setup for anyone wanting a winch that will pull little kids at a speed they r comfy with all the way up to the big boys who can never seem to go fast enough. When I back the WOT screw out almost all the way this thing has to be going close to 30mph. I run it with a tav2 and the gearing is whatever came from released. I'll check the sprocket size and post it up shortly. Also; nr racing is making a high torque cam listed as a winch boarding cam. It's supposed to keep the power from bogging if your cutting hard to a kicker or wallride. Oh and I put the stock muffler back on in this setup.

Drop in and tune out
peligro18
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah if you do the sproket diameter it will be great!
do you think those gx200 modifications can make the engine really that powerfull? double the hp or triple it?
http://www.nr-racing.com/gx200motors.htm Crazy Eyes
Bamalurker
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check it tonite and let you know. I have a friend that's running a 12 horse and it's waaaayyy to fast. To pull me he gives it half throttle and it's realy hard to keep it at a constant speed with the factory throttle. He's realy the only one that can drive it good. Yes those go kart racing Honda engines can put down some serious power with all the right mods. Nr has dyno graphs to prove it. But to double or triple the power out of a gx 200 ur gonna spend some money. I wish I already had that high torque cam so I could tell ya how it performs. I love the setup I mentioned above so I def recomend it. The last time I called nr the guy said someone had just orderd 20 of that same engine and that they were all for winches. I don't know who he's talkin about but sumone out there diggs that motor enough to put them on 20 winches their building.

Drop in and tune out
Bamalurker
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also another thing you can do to change the speed and torque on any winch is to change the inside diameter of the spool. The smaller the diameter the slower you'll go but have more torque. If ur just looking door speed you can take some old junk rope (pull ur winch rope off first) and wrap it around the spool real tight untill it's a half inch to a whole inch thick. Then put you winch rope back on. Ur not gonna hook the two ropes together, it's just to make the spool fatter. I did this with my old engine and it worked great. Also depending on what winch you have sum winches on the market have adjustable spools. Good luck.

Drop in and tune out
robsmaze
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Yorkville & Chicago

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better than all of these motors - get an electric winch - torque is constant throughout the speed band - not clutch or torq-a-verter - no yanking on the start and no noise...
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electric? What about when we drag our winch deep in the woods for three days of camping and winching. How many batteries would we haft to lug along? How much does this thing weigh?

Drop in and tune out
Bamalurker
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up, peligro. I forgot about checkin what tooth sprocket is on my winch. I promise as soon as I get home from work I'll check it and let ya know. Check back in about two hours.

Drop in and tune out
Bamalurker
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55tooth sprocket. That's kinda surprising, thought it would be bigger than that. Check out hortsman clutches. They make quick change hubs and sprockets.

Drop in and tune out
peligro18
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55t sproket chain35 is the same as 40tchain40 Crazy Eyes
so we must have same rpms
whats your tav sproket 12? 35size
i run the 10T size40/41 and the guy do the math and said that i had 455rpms now and with the new setup i was gonna have 467rpms

the subaru is letting me down
and the tav when is pulling you
it stops and then goes again! and then stop and then again!
normal right? everything seems fine i just dont have enoght power... not even the ramp

http://youtu.be/w_fP583V2yE if i leave early the ramp then its ok power
peligro18
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just read this thread
http://www.wakeskating.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28145&highlight=

it seems that the stoping of the torque can be due to the setup i have right now
maybe thats why i feel the change of speed and maybe now i can get more Very Happy
Bamalurker
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, your saying your sprocket only has 40 teeth on it?

Drop in and tune out
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Winching sponsored by Pulldozer.com All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: