FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Digital SLR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Media and Technology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mc.willz
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Markham, Unionville

PostPosted: Nov 22, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Digital SLR Reply with quote

hey sup everyone, im looking to get a decent slr for christmas and i was wondering wat ones should i really look into for under 1000 dollars?
RUSSIAN
Integrity Sheep

City: Where's my beer

PostPosted: Nov 22, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not really the best place to search for advise on a camera, but I'll help ya. Check dpreview for very good reviews of almost all cameras. Having said that, you need to do some research on lenses and figure out what "system" you want to buy into. My choice was Canon, when I went digital because I already had some canon lenses from my film camera. IMHO Canon makes the best wake lens with the 70-200f4L, the price is much cheaper then f2.8 version and the f4 is much lighter. Unfortunately Nikon does not make an f4 version of this focal length, and for me that would be a selling point.
Now for the hard part, quality lens' are not cheap, And you will no doubt spend far more on your lens collection then on one single body. The lens I mentioned above is over $600 new and the top dog 2.8 IS version is $1600 Shocked .
Another real good thing to do is go to your local best buy and play with all the cameras(or a camera shop if you have one around) A big part of a camera is how it feels in your hands and they all feel different.
With a $1000 budget I would buy a 30d with kit lens, a 50mm 1.8, two 2gig ultra 2 cf cards(on sale at staples for $15 on black friday Wink ) and some kind of bag. If any money is left I'd put it towards a decent tripod, then start saving for the 70-200.
But there are many options and that is just one of them.
dylo
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Melbourne/Breckenridge

PostPosted: Nov 22, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russian is pretty much spot on.
I started out shooting for a wake magazine last year after i saved up for a 10d and 70-200mm F4L. Its alot of money trying to earn that much with no job and being 16.
mc.willz
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Markham, Unionville

PostPosted: Nov 23, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RUSSIAN, dude thanks soo much
knox
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Gainesville

PostPosted: Nov 23, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RUSSIAN has the knowledge!
JAM
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: nOtown

PostPosted: Nov 23, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RUSSIAN, has some good info. On dpreview you can match up cameras side by side for comparison. Also, if you want to save some money I would check ebay for a decent canon 20d. It has just about the same features as a 30d. The only major difference is that the 30d can take a 50 shot seq compared to like 30, and the screen on the back is bigger. That way you could spend maybe 800 on a fairly decent 20d and still have some money left towards a lens. Either way, I would choose one of these just because they are very decent cameras and they can shoot 5 frames per second(very good for sequences). If you spend that much on a nikon you wont get the 5 frames per second. I think their best in that price range can only do 3. Hope that helps mang.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Media and Technology All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: