FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Good skateboard setup?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wakeboarderdave87
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: St. Thomas

PostPosted: May 10, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Good skateboard setup? Reply with quote

Anbody got any recomendations on a good, cheap setup? I know I'm kinda old to start skateboarding but hey what the heck I've always been interested in it but never had a place to go, but now i have neighbors who have a place where i can ride.

thanks

dave
wakebadass
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: McHenry

PostPosted: May 10, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeboarderdave87, just go on www.ccs.com they got complete setups for like 100 dollers.
sk84life
Ollie
Ollie

City: Athens

PostPosted: May 10, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't buy from CCS, find a local skateshop in your area and support them by buying your setup there. also, that way you can talk to the people in the shop and they can set you up with a board that will work for you at a decent price. you can also actually see and feel what you'll be riding when you buy from a shop, as opposed to mailorder. also, like my friend Patio says, who just turned 40 and has been skating since he was 15, "It's never too late to have a happy childhood." Have fun skating.
wakesk8r9610
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 10, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aesthetics with tensor trucks and whatever wheels and bearings.
el
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: The Sea

PostPosted: May 10, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as difference in decks goes, most brands are just names and shapes churned out from the same few factories in south California. A few companies have different methods of deck construction and even their own factories, and they tend to advertise it if they do so. Powell makes good solid blank (mini-logo) decks for $30. Consolidated makes tough as shite decks for $40 a pop. There are a few other good companies out there, just ask your friendly shop employee who hopefully skates. They tend to have good discernment between good and bad brands they carry. Avoid decks made in China. Lib Techs are $60 fiberglass-wood composite bombs.

Most trucks you can't lose with. Can't go wrong with Independents...

Bones wheels are the best, they never flat spot and come in all kinds of sizes and hardnesses.

Bearings are pretty generic, China Bones are real good. Black Panthers and Luckys suck.

Good luck!

Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: McHenry

PostPosted: May 11, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sk84life, i know what your sayin, i like to see a deck before i buy it to, but if its your 1st time you will get a much better deal goin though ccs, after you skate for a while you should get decks at a shop, but for your 1st setup it dont really matter if you see it cuz you dont nkwo what will work, and no one at the shop can eater cuz if you dont skate at all you cant really know what setup will fit you best.
wakesk8ordie
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

City: Fond du Lac

PostPosted: May 11, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree with wakebadass, as much as I love people showing support to the local shops, and as much as I hate CCS the corporate bloodsuckers they can give you a smoking price on a complete that no shop will ever be able to match. Since he doesn't really know what is going to work out for him it is pretty much just a guess and check situation at this point, that is how it always works when you are getting into something like skating. Nobody is really going to be able to him what style deck and trucks he is going to prefer so it is pretty much a shot in the dark. Once he gets his style dialed then it is time to turn to the local shop.

If I had to throw any pointers your way Dave I would go with:

Independent Trucks: an oldy but a goody
Element or Habitat deck: nice and light with good concave and pop

Just suggestions from my experience.

Chris Fink
wakesk8ordie@excite.com
wakesk8r9610
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: May 12, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take back what i said aesthetics suck! snapped after a day on a 6 stair.
wakesk8ordie
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: May 12, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, yeah I work at a shop, and just from looking at aesthetics I would have thought they were sweet as hell, they are mega concave and super light, but we had people being back snapped decks all the time.

Chris Fink
wakesk8ordie@excite.com
wakesk8ordie
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: May 12, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"bringing back"

Chris Fink
wakesk8ordie@excite.com
jerrysk8
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: QLD, Australia

PostPosted: May 12, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some people snap decks depending on how they land on the board. i had a friend who snapped a deck every 3-4 weeks and went through so many brands. he just couldln't land over his trucks all the time.

me personally i like my boards skinny around 7.5", i like my wheels skinny and around 54mm and i'm all about crailtap, so i usually ride girl, chocolate, and royal. currently riding a girl froston deck, royal mids, choc wheels, swiss bones bearings.

this will change soon as deck and wheels will last me about a month.

red dragons are rat shizzle. get swiss bones.

Legends never die - R.I.P. S.C.
el
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: The Sea

PostPosted: May 12, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally disagree with the China Bones comment, but that's cool.

Sealed bearings are good if you want to never clean your bearings, and they last a pretty long time. I've had a generic set since October and they're still rolling smoothly.

Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: QLD, Australia

PostPosted: May 12, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i guess i've just had a bad experience with china bones. i went through 3 sets and bearings just popped within days and front covers would just fall off. can't say i've ever cleaned bearings so sealed doesn't bother me.

Legends never die - R.I.P. S.C.
wakesk8ordie
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: May 12, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the shop I worked at we sold generic bearings and they rolled just as smoothly as any of the big brands, if not smoother. I personally have a set, and I can't tell the difference between them and the black panthers I had been riding previously, I would be willing to bet they were made in the same factory anyway, ha ha.

Chris Fink
wakesk8ordie@excite.com
Slyder
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Punta Gorda/Tallahassee

PostPosted: May 12, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if this deck has been mentioned yet, but im too lazy to read all of the posts. I'm not sure about trucks and wheels and such, but a Powell Mini-logo is a pretty good deck and you can usually score one for around $30. I've used them for a while and they're not bad.
Xley
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: May 16, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.blankdecks.com they have the cheapest shizzle by far, and they will price match.
Pop Shuvit
Pop Shuvit

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never ridden but only hear good things about popwar skateboards. I talked to all my friends that have them, people who work at my local shop. Haven't heard one bad thing. I read that they have some fiberglass plates on the back truck for more pop and to help not snap as easy. Anyone on here rode one or have one? I'm thinking about picking one up.
Greg T
Skeezer

City: ohio

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im thinking about getting a skateboard to mess around on and I too noticed popwar.

They not only look like a cool company, but they also seem to make nice boards.

But i dont know much about skateboarding, so this is just an uneducated opinion.
wakesk8r9610
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like girl and bootleg decks. im riding a scott kane bootleg right now and i love it. ive had it for a month and only 1 stress crack and i jump down 10 stairs and 4 blocks all the time. but girls are good while they last. my friend just got the new koston necktie series and he doesnt skate anything bigger than a 4 stair and theres already some crazy pressure cracks.
Matt_French

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakesk8r9610, do you guys use shock-pads or risers? Pressure cracks are normally from over tightening your trucks, and not using risers or shock pads. Either that...or you bought an old dried out deck.

As far as this post goes...i would recommend a blank.... I feel that it really doesnt matter what skateboard you ride, but how you ride it. I honestly don't believe that a pretty paint job is going to make you ride any better. And for those of you who claim that blank decks dont have the same contruction, or dont have as good pop...that is incorrect. Alot of blank decks are made by the same manufacturers that pump out boards for comapanies like girl.I too once baught the expensive pro model decks...but when your skills start to increase, and you go through decks on a regular basis...it really makes you wonder if they are worth the extra money...

I agree with Sk84life...support a local shop...plus...if you buy something like a deck off the internet...you dont know how old it is. At least with a local shop, you can get a good feel as to how quick their inventory turns over. Alot of times people overlook it...but an old board that has been sitting on a shelf for extended amounts of time, loses alot of its moisture content. A dried out deck doesn't flex as well, doesn't have the same response, and doesn't pop as well as a deck that has the proper moisture content. And when a deck dries out...the wood shrinks...and it can cause the layers to contract and weaken the strength of the glue used to laminate the deck together. That can lead to pressure cracks...like what wakesk8r9610 talked about. Of course this is just really bibble-babble to anyone who really doesn't give a shiat...

hmmm...not sure why i rambled on like that...guess im just bored...sorry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Skateboarding All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: