FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Anyone know anything about computers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Media and Technology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slyder
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Punta Gorda/Tallahassee

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Anyone know anything about computers? Reply with quote

So I built a computer about a year ago and after some struggle, I think the power supply finally died. For a while it had been flickering on and off for a while before it would turn on and stay on.

This morning I opened my case to try and fix a problem I was having with a dvd drive and when i put it all back together was when I had my problem. I went through the normal flickering on and off for a while, then came up with an error along the lines of "boot error, please insert boot disk". I'm assuming my hdd didn't boot due to lack of power, the dvd drive I was working on also had no power to it.

Basically what I'm asking is, before I go through the trouble of ordering a new power suplly and installing it, does anyone else think they know what it could be? None of the components are more than a year old and the case i'm using is somewhat notorious for having a faulty power supply. It's an Acer micro ATX case.

Also, if there are any reccomendations on what brand of power supply would work for a replacement, let me know. I need something around 420W I think. (Also, does it matter if I go higher than that? I'm not sure if i need the same specs for a replacement as were on the original.)

Sorry for the mini-essay, help is appreciated. Thanks.
Jesse
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Groveland

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pour some beer on it Laughing Get a new one
CrzyTexan
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you had to of plugged something in wronge... did you ever accidentaly unplug ur hd?
Get a PcPowerandCooling powersupply their really nice and will alst forever... they are quite expensive tho so instead you can get a antec just aim if u need sum more help
SamHill
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Lacey

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be the power supply but it sounds like it could be a boot sector virus as well. They tend to give you "boot error, please insert boot disk" messages and they will boot your machine continosly.
I would first check the power coming out of the power supply with a volt meter.
If it looks good, I would suspect a virus. roboot off the windows disk or Recovery disk. Then run your virus program. This will give you a clean MBR (Master Boot Record) in which to run the AntiVirus software if it is a MBR Virus.
You can try this following the picture below if this helps.
Good Luck.
Pete

Power Supplies Troubleshooting.gif

Description:
 Filesize:  52.51 KB
 Viewed:  5789 Time(s)

search button
Ollie
Ollie

City: Saginaw

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a power supply tester to rule that out, then go from there. When my power supply failed, my processor fried, so be thankful yours isn't a $350 problem.
Slyder
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Punta Gorda/Tallahassee

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm positive now that it's the power supply, I managed to get the BIOS up and when i tried to initiate anything else it would just shut off. I needed a new power supply anyway. Hopefully this will solve the problem entirely and I don't have a boot virus.

Thanks everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Media and Technology All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: