FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Transition between regular to goofy on water

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iwksk8
Ollie
Ollie

City: New Port Richey

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2020 2:41 am    Post subject: Transition between regular to goofy on water Reply with quote

For a background, I am getting back into wakeskating after a VERY long break from trying to learn it. I can get up and ride goofy or regular (regular is more comfortable) just skating back on forth from side to side over the wake. I cant transition between regular and goofy on the water though. I can't do any wake jumps at all yet... only gliding over the boat wake. I can do small bunny hops in the flats just enough to get the fin barely out of the water. It isn't enough to call it an ollie though. I have no skateboard experience BTW.

I have been trying to get comfortable transitioning on the water from regular to goofy and I am struggling. I am trying to get comfortable going sideways first on the wakeskate in the flats (Hyperlite Scape 107 with fins it came with) thinking that will make the transition between the 2 easier when I start to learn that.

When I try to slowly go from forward (regular) to sideways sliding on the board (Hyperlite Scape 107), there is a big transition on how the board is gripping the water. It seems to release at some point close to sideways and it wants to slide out forward away from me. I am trying to get used to that and lean forward but having trouble knowing when that transition will happen as I usually fall backwards doing it but the fact that I am falling backwards makes me think I am not leaning forward enough or maybe the rope is not in perfect position and slightly up even though I think I am holding it correctly.

I am wondering how much the fins play a part in the feel of that transition and haven't tried removing them yet as there are some people still trying to learn to even get up on the board and I hear that fins can help first time people to track on the board.

I have a better board to ride (Integrity with grip tape and fins) btw but I don't have room on the boat that I get to ride to bring 2 boards so I bring the Scape that has foam on top so others trying to get up on the board can skate too... not needing shoes and such. Learning on the cheap board will hopefully make me appreciate the better board more when I start doing tricks with it Smile.
DaleFish
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Cape Town, South Africa

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a handle positioning issue bud, hit myself or Matti up on insta and we'll help you best we can, maybe you can send us a video of you trying so we can help you out.

@wakeskatewednesday

https://linktr.ee/Wakeskatewednesday
senorbueno
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although you can ride with fins, I really recommend trying to get more comfortable using the edges to track and riding without fins. It is very common for "good" wakeskaters to not use fins at all. The Integrity will have better edges that can even be sanded down to make more forgiving (though I don't think this is necessary).

When I received my first Integrity I had ordered fins to go with it (this was like 15 years ago), and they were kinda clunky. If I were to ride with a fin at all, I would want something much smaller and more streamlined.

People that are new to the sport see large fins as way to keep them stable, but just like riding a bike, you gotta get rid of the training wheels and go for it. Same logic can be applied to skiing or snowboarding. You won't ever progress staying on the bunny hill, gotta go for the blues eventually and your body will develop muscle memory and get more comfortable.
Iwksk8
Ollie
Ollie

City: New Port Richey

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I will try and pay closer attention to where the handle is, play around with the handle height, and try and get some video next time I am out. If the board is sliding out in front of me right as it goes sideways, wouldn't that mean the handle could be too low? I stated too high previously but that would cause me to fall forward and the board go backwards, I would think. I can surely feel the board release and go forward. I think I am just in sensor overload trying to think about too much all at once Smile.

I am not sure when my next ride will be. I have some seadoos ordered for my family to go out when we want but that will likely take a month or two for those to come in. I hope to progress faster then Smile.
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be paying more "sensory" attention to my heel toe pressure. I highly recommend focusing on that kind of balance and thinking of the rope as just your tow point vs a full on balance point. I'd also get rid of the fins.
Frye

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Orlando if you want to get a sesh, definitely get you doing those surface 180s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: