FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

HEY YO, UPDATE THIS SITE PLEASE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flixmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

City: Austin

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not make enough money to cover wakeskating.coms share of the hosting. It is around because I choose to pay for it out of my own funds.

It is a money loser on my books. Don't think for one second that is it making any financial sense for me. All time and money that I spend on the site is paid for out of my pocket.

I could have probably sold/given the site away to a few parties in the past. But if I did we probably would not be having a conversation today because it would have been shutdown by now due to lack of funding. Look at the track record of Wakeskate sites.

If anyone really wants to do some work just send me your coding resume and a few examples of work you have done. Maybe someone is willing to make some changes.

I would love to have a group of coders, ad salesmen/saleswomen, content providers, site admins, and every type of employee needed to run a site.....but in the Wakeskate world... It does not exist.

I could probably make more revenue if I just turned wakeskating.com into an Amazon affiliate website selling $100 Wakeskates. I'd probably make more ad revenue doing that and just drop all other areas of the website. But how would that help all the new Wakeskate companies trying to reach the Wakeskate community? I don't see that helping wakeskating so I have never done it. The little it would help me I feel does not make it worth it so I continue to leave it how it is to support wakeskating as a whole.

If anyone is willing to jump in and spend the time just let us know. So far. Nobody has reached out and offered up endless hours of support for the love of wakeskating.com.

I feel all the Wakeskate companies and sites should pull together because forging alone is not going to help wakeskating as a whole.

Wakeboarding
tad
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flixmaster wrote:
I feel all the Wakeskate companies and sites should pull together because forging alone is not going to help wakeskating as a whole.

Smash
WERDna
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tad wrote:
flixmaster wrote:

Smash

flixmaster, tad, Do you two mean that wakeskate companies should pull together their resources to fund this site?, That all independent wakeskate companies should combine into one umbrella company along with all independent wakeskate media outlets? Or something different altogether?

flixmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily to fund the site but to provide it with the content that would make it a better place.

We never force or 'ask' to make things exclusive but I have had to pull content in the past because a person was asked to make sure that another website was the only one showing the content. How is that good for progression on the sport? It narrows the amount of views content is going to receive. I have allowed every Wakeskate company to post threads selling product. how about providing the content your riders are producing so we can all benefit?

i don't have a good suggestion for the board companies other than find a backer that will provide endless funding and is never expecting a profit. I cannot imagine how a board company these days could keep the doors open. The numbers just don't add up to me. I know love of the sport yada yada but without money to fund it you just cannot keep going. I can tell you if Nike, red bull, rockstar and other big companies pulled the small amount of dollars they feed to Wakeskate pro riders/teams we would have even more issues in this industry. And with the slow rate of adoption....it could happen sooner than later.

I'm off to California so I can make some money to keep funding the site. Wink

Wakeboarding
WERDna
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flixmaster wrote:
We never force or 'ask' to make things exclusive but I have had to pull content in the past because a person was asked to make sure that another website was the only one showing the content. How is that good for progression on the sport? It narrows the amount of views content is going to receive. I have allowed every Wakeskate company to post threads selling product. how about providing the content your riders are producing so we can all benefit?

flixmaster, I presume the original creator of that content didn't come to you and ask you to post their content. That being said, I also presume they had you pull the content because they had previously established agreements that a different media outlet would get exclusive screening rights to the content. They could have attained those exclusivity rights by paying the content creator or provide said creator with resources that made the production possible and they want their outlet to get the views and web traffic they essentially paid for when investing in artists and riders.

In the end the person should have just made their content bound to the exclusive media outlet's url.

flixmaster wrote:

i don't have a good suggestion for the board companies other than find a backer that will provide endless funding and is never expecting a profit. I cannot imagine how a board company these days could keep the doors open. The numbers just don't add up to me. I know love of the sport yada yada but without money to fund it you just cannot keep going.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you are looking at the industry through lens of a shop owner, that's where I presume you are getting your numbers from. With the evolution of e-commerce and direct to consumer sales. Profitably is much more feasible for an independent wakeskate company then it was years ago. Additionally, the kinds of customers you are used to working with, those older folks who moved on to wakesurfing you spoke about, they aren't the demographic I've been business with these days. Wakeskating is still growing it's just changing and the customers of today unfortunately aren't as likely to be passing through shops like yours nearly as much. I would love if they did, I want wakeskate shops like skateboard shops!

I wish we could get those older folks with their banged up legs back into your shop to buy skates. If you think of an idea let me know, and I'll be the first to send you some skates for those silver fox wakesurfers!

..but I digress..

The point of this thread from the general gist of what I've seen is just to post stuff on the front page that is still timely and relevant to modern wakeskating. There is still plenty of that sort of content free out there to share and you won't be told to take it down by the creator. (All of the Istudiomo athlete profile videos are free to share and embed on anyone's website.) If you or any moderator don't have the time to do it then maybe having someone like forthegator do it if he's offering, and for free.. maybe you should take him up on the offer.

tad
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WERDna wrote:
Do you two mean that wakeskate companies should pull together their resources to fund this site?

Yes, that's how web advertising works. Wink Last I checked it was under a $100 to run a website for the year. Idea

Everyone is always talking about how close-knit our community is. I just think having a one-stop shop wakeskate website would be badass. Ran by wakeskaters. Funded by wakeskate companies. Online store? Fresh content. Forums to shoot the crap. Sounds cool to me, haha. I don't know. I'm bored on the Internet. Miss you kid.

Mr T
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggested forthegator reach out, especially if he made a bold post to start with. The ball is in his court also, not just ed's. A whole lot of this is people complaining but not wanting to make the effort, be it a logo redesign or whatever. It's easy to complain or be the critic.

I know you offered something, and i will make it right WERDna. I've always loved your work (i watched nick's season today!!) and look forward to your creation.

Seeing a couple of the arguments and having hindsight, my opinion is wakeskating hasn't exactly been inclusive. To talk about grant being upset or whatever--how would any rider feel when the part of wakeskating you love the most is deemed less important, not the future, seemingly disregarded, etc. That displaces a number of riders, and it's not necessary. A bunch of folks said winching was the future. From an entertainment or challenging standpoint, absolutely. To get new people into wakeskating, not so much. I honestly think cable is the future. And maybe wakeskating is a bit behind the curve in terms of growth, but i think the accessibility and style (continuous pull), could be a huge help. I think people just need to see what can be done. I ride at west rock, which is over 3 hours from my house, one way. Every time i've been there there's been someone trying wakeboarding for the first time. Last time some little dude rented their nick ami remote and wakeskated for a bit. That was pretty cool to see, and i hope i see more wakeskaters there next year.

Nick taylor was one of the most supportive guys of this site. I will always appreciate that because your actions were not the norm, especially with the timing of it all. Tad also took advantage of the opportunity to collaborate, and i also really appreciate that. I can imagine tad's had some interesting experiences in wake that inspire his quote.

IMG_20160901_001439.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  540.69 KB
 Viewed:  14491 Time(s)

WERDna
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tad wrote:
Yes, that's how web advertising works. Wink Last I checked it was under a $100 to run a website for the year. Idea

You cheeky bastard! Laughing

tad wrote:
Everyone is always talking about how close-knit our community is. I just think having a one-stop shop wakeskate website would be badass. Ran by wakeskaters. Funded by wakeskate companies. Online store? Fresh content. Forums to shoot the crap. Sounds cool to me, haha. I don't know. I'm bored on the Internet. Miss you kid.

Mr T

I like that idea. Miss you too bud! <3

WERDna
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricsnow wrote:
I know you offered something, and i will make it right.

I can re-send any details you may need. Just let me know!

electricsnow wrote:
I've always loved your work (i watched nick's season today!!) and look forward to your creation.

Thank you as always! and Oh my, I need to re-watch that again soon. Especially after just getting home from the island doing some more filming with the same fella! Wink

POPTART
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its almost like we need a place for filmers and riders to interact with web store retailers and the community as a whole. Where new and interesting ideas could come to light and people who cared could promote every aspect of wakeskating as they needed. A place where (music fades in) big companies and hand shapers alike could all join together to lift wakeskating up where it should be.......................................... Neutral

Here is a great one. Someone call Andrew and talk to him about when he might be able to do more of this. Type that up and put this on the FP.

Cool

That toe back 3 Shocked still.....
flixmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no actually the times I recall the person did come to me. Did ask me to post it. And then came back and asked to have it pulled. Being the nice guy I am I pulled it for him so he could have his 2.3 minutes of fame.

I see it from a shops view but I also see if from the riders I have worked with in the past. All the events I have sponsored and all the dollars I have put into the industry.

The internet does make it easier for smaller wakeskate companies to make it but I still don't see how a Wakeskate company can even support a handful of riders. When I saw Integrity ship off his machines a few weeks ago and thought man what a shame. He spent all those years just trying to do what he could and make some products. Just another example of a Wakeskate company that had to finally call it quits.

Wakeboarding
WERDna
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POPTART, Showing Drew that right now would be torture! Poor guy tore his ACL then rehabbed it for 5 months and now recently re-tweaked it and is looking at even longer recovery. Sad

flixmaster, That's unfortunate that person wasted your time like that. Yeah Integrity was a shame it didn't pull through, that whole team is family to me, but that isn't exactly an example of wakeskating not being able to provide the demand for an independent company to survive. Integrity had its own slew of unique issues and unfortunate turn of events that led to its demise that aren't directly attributed to the wakeskate industry.

Anyway, wakeskating is sustainable and I know that first hand. It has become less sustainable for many, but from my vantage point it is definitely on an upward trajectory. Now is one of the best and exciting times to be a part of an independent wakeskate company.

POPTART
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WERDna, Damn I hate to hear that , I just love that edit. It has what I would want to see on the FP in it. Destroying everything in one post. I hope he gets back out there soon. But I'd say its not too long before we have waterproof gimbalpowered knee braces or cyborg leg replacement surgery Cool
Frye

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakeskating.com is dead as is wakeboarder.com and boardstop.com. Plenty of reasons for this that have nothing to do with the sports. The sport is far from dead/dying.
flixmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not just us frye... I have known dealers/reps for decades and the trend they are saying is down. If some smaller Wakeskate companies are seeing a up-tick in product sales good for them. I hope they can grow and become an industry leader but with the numbers of new riders still shrinking it does not seem likely.

How many wakeskates are the top Wakeskate companies producing? Are they making thousands or hundreds of wakeskates? Maybe dead/dying just pertains to Wakeskate sales but that does translate into new riders and that number is down. Maybe not dead from the progression of tricks but I cannot agree that it is a healthy sport.

I'm good with where I am today. I am positioning myself for any type of translation I decide to make down the road. I feel I have done everything I could with best intentions while I have been involved in this industry. The personal connections with the people I have worked with over the years has proven that to me.

So keep plugging along and hope for the best. All industries go thru these cycles. Some come back and grown stronger. Others fade away. Maybe a group of passionate core riders and industry people can bring back a resurgence in wakeskating. I know we are good at bitching because I have thousands of messages to prove it but are we able to make change that helps the industry?

Wakeboarding
Frye

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flixmaster wrote:
It is not just us frye...

I have already spent too much time talking to you about this in private. It's unfortunate you see thousands of messages offering help as bitching when in reality they are compliments to the sport and show how far from dead it really is. The point of my original post is that it's not just us, it's the sites, and just because the sites are dead does not mean the sports are.

canalskater
Taco Bell Fa'Lyfe

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is sucks. Or it's lit. I can't decide.

Last edited by canalskater on Sep 19, 2016 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
wakemitch
Frontside Bigspin

City: Yay Area

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand what isn't functional about this site. People only care about the forum any way.
If this site was run by a "core" wakeskater it would be down in six months.

I'm just happy this site is still here. Everything else that wakeskaters touch dies. We don't have a good track record
WERDna
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakemitch, From my perspective it isn't a functionality issue. This site to me is completely functional as a forum, like you said, but wakeskating.com needs to be much more than that though. Right now this isn't a visitor center for wakeskating. It's not the lively, modern, and up to date site it was several years ago. And because of all those facts to me this forum shouldn't be "wakeskating.com" anymore (but it still kinda should be..I'll get to this). This is just speaking purely in regards to the name and the url. I'd rather see it become"thewakeskatearchive.com" or something of that effect. This place has a bunch to offer. I got so much out of my time here and from the people here. It's vast amount of content hidden away in it's many theads if pulled out from hiding could be used for people to see and appreciate and maybe learn from.

Ultimately in its current form this is a mediocre excuse for a visitor center for wakeskating. When it could be re-purposed to become something much better as a digital museum or conservatory for the sport. As for wakeskating.com in my opinion wherever this url takes you should be a representative picture of wakeskating right now. I think at this point if getting changes or additions to this site to get it closer to that ideal wakeskating.com is going to be too difficult I'd much rather prefer the url redirect you to a site that better represents wakeskating in its current form. Unfortunately no one place on the internet is quite what it should be for that url (yet..), so I'm honestly not in any rush to see this site sell/giveaway its url.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Right now we as a community haven't really come together to create a place that does what I personally would want from a "wakeskating.com", but maybe in the near future..who knows. At least I know it's relatively safe here for now.. and not redirecting you to a wakeboard site. I'm not sure if wakeboard sites have offered to buy this url before, but if they haven't after all this time I'd be surprised. So thanks for not selling.

Cheers to wakeskating.com still sending people to wakeskating content of some kind!

knox
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: Gainesville

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakemitch wrote:
I'm just happy this site is still here. Everything else that wakeskaters touch dies. We don't have a good track record

Crying or Very sad I don't think so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Add To Favorites

Jump to: