FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Why is this site so dead?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastgreens
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: baytown

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still shred the dirty bayou with cheapskate Smash Glasses Afro
fastgreens
Kickflip
Kickflip

City: baytown

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...[/img]

image.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  175.79 KB
 Viewed:  9680 Time(s)

Castof
Faceplant
Faceplant

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo,
As a newbie here, i'm going to give my opinion on that subject.
First, i'm french so excuse my potential mistakes!

Coming from France give you another vision of the deal.

I started wakeskate 2 years ago, i found wakeboard a little bit boring...and i've been on a skateboard for more than 18 years. Wakeskate is so cool. I bought a seadoo last year only to ride with my wakeskate. Perfect moments...and everytime i give the possibility to try the wakeskate, my friends find it so dope they don't want to go back to wakeboard!

But, the difficulty is to find a community. After many research, i landed here. It was a real treasure! so many knowledge to learn from the memebers. Thanks all of you. In france, we got a forum for the french community and there must be 15 members, not very more.

In France, it's difficult to find real boards, real riders and real spots. It's my POV but i don't really enjoy watching cable riders, except when it really looks similar to real skateboards. But, for me, the last thing to prove that wake skate kills every thing is the fiznackling video Noisia Vision! It's amazing...And when you watch it, you can't stay ...the only thing you want is going in the water to try and try the tricks you just watched. It's a king of dream machine!
I think that it will stay alive thanks to stuff like this and with passionate riders that keep the fiever alive.

In France, we got a new board company developped by some riders (pidivi). The spirit of the company is perfect "a brand by riders for riders". I was looking to buy a new board and i decided to buy a pidivi one instead of a remote one just to help them keep the brand and the ws alive!

From France, it seems that WS is very very big in US! some much spots, some much riders and passionate peoples! you have to keep on going ahead !

It's my second post here because i discoverd this place lately...but trust me, every time i want to heard about ws, i come here and explore the board!

So thanks for all the advices and exchanges!
Gnarly Dancer 42
360 flip
360 flip

City: kalamazoo

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-=AlexXx=-, that's really funny, you should give them an old wakeskate! haha. Riding a skimboard behind the boat is how my brother and I got into wakeskating.

http://www.kearnsmedia.com
Lollar
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnarly Dancer 42 wrote:
-=AlexXx=-, that's really funny, you should give them an old wakeskate! haha. Riding a skimboard behind the boat is how my brother and I got into wakeskating.

Anytime I hear about someone wanting to wakeskate I always give away a board if I can. Would rather let someone else learn about it and try it than keep them at my house collecting dust.

Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

City: Menlo Park/ Bay Area

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AxleXxX 80% of people buying new boats are doing it with the purpose to wakesurf. They aren't looking at wakeboards and if they are it is maybe to get a "boat board" for people to mess around on.

The majority of people want that "instant gratification" that society has bestowed on them and wakesurfing offers that. Between wakeskating, wakeboarding and wakesurfing there is a HUUUUGE learning curve for the average person to progress enough where they feel they have it down.

Someone can get up, figure out the balance points, ride rope less and carve around on a wakesurf board there first time out during the first set.

Take that same person with no back ground in water sports and try to get them up on a wakeboard jumping the wake? Highly doubt it..

Get them on a wakeskate and landing a shuv? fat chance.

I cant recall who posted it, but someone linked a Rodney Mullen video a while back, maybe his TedTalk video. He talked about the persistence/ mind state that skateboarders have. Where you will beat yourself up, scrape skin, get bloody and break bones and keep going until you land that trick. Hucking yourself down a stair gap time and time again to land the trick or get it just right on camera knowing it is taking your toll on you.

To me, wakeskaters have that same drive and determination to want to better themselves and progress. At the same time, the majority of kids coming into watersports with there familes dont. The kids part of that entilited generation just want to see results and wakesurfing lets them show "skills" on instagram to everyone and get likes.

Why struggle with wakeskating when I can be competent on a wakesuf board? Hell, if you can ride out a surface 360 and get a little air you can be competitive and podium in the AM division and every surf event. Win enough and you can have a "pro model" board too!

TL;DR - most people who wakeskate have a different mindset than the majority of people and are willing to put in the time to progress the skillset needed to enjoy wakeskating.. everyone else wants instant results and choose to wakesurf

stack

Completly agree. Cable riding has changed the wake industry for the better. More cable parks and the progression of features and board tech have helped create another aspect of wakeboarding. Similar to park riding in snowboarding.

It's still brining new people into the wake industry and that still helps wakeskating. That kid who went to the cablepark to wakeboard might be there and see a wakeskater, say that looks cool and give it a try. Boom, new wakeskater buying a board from a company.

Personally, I enjoy watching some of the better cable wakeboarders. The guys who can make it look good and ride with a different style and not just "270 spin to nosepress surface spin across the box to 180 off" riders. Some riders make it look awesome.

I will actually watch some of the local wakeboarders and the park because they have a sick style and arent "spinning to win". They make it look good and stand out to me. Its kind of refreshing.

I also feel the abundance of cables has helped out wakeskating. If you cant find a boat/ski to ride with a few friends you can head down to the cable by yourself and ride for a few hours. Work on flats tricks and your rail game. If the cable is close enough, its very convenient to just show up, ride and then head home. No need to find a crew (CA so you have to have 3 people to be legal) tow a ski/boat, drop it in the water, ride, pack all your stuff away and tow the ski home.

TL;DR - Cable parks are freaking awesome and make it very easy to get into wakeskating when you dont have other riders around you or it can be a hassle to get a boat/ski to your spot and ride. Just show up, shred and head home. Maybe meet some guys there and make some friends and have a progression session.

frye - agreed... wakeskating is not dead.. wakeskating.com is dead because people have found other media outlets to get their fix.

The majority of people posting on this forum are generally considered "old schoolers" we were on this site before the iPhone and the release of social media sites/apps. We still come here for some reason but newer peeps see no reason too.. and thats ok.

I honestly think wakeskating right now is the biggest it has been.. well maybe last year was bigger because of the wakeskate tour that was releasing recap videos/ content on the regular. But as for board sales, people riding, people who know what wakeskating is... yea this is probably the biggest its been.

Do I want to settle for that? No, I would love to see more people out wakeskating. I'd love for the non wakeskate board MFGs to double their sales and grow. It would be awesome for The Wakeskate Tour to come back and add more stops. To watch the Wakeskate Mag make a comeback and get into shops the way Alliance/Wakeboard Mag have.

TL;DR - wakeskaitng is not dead.. wakeskating.com is dieing of old age. Wakeskating as a whole is awesome right now and in a great state of being but that is no reason to settle. Do what you can to grow and push the sport and get new people involved

castof - Thats awesome that you have been able to get your friends out with you behind your ski and kind of make your own scene. It might only be 15 members on that forum but those 15 can still make a difference and you guys can make a lot happen with that.

The Pidivi boards look awesome from what I have seen on Instagram and a few videos. I'm glad you guys have a company over there building skates and helping grow wakeskating.

Edit: Jesus, I feel like E-Snow with these full on essay post..

wakemitch
Frontside Bigspin

City: Yay Area

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lollar wrote:

Wakeskating needs bigger events to bring in the people but we are stuck with grassroots type events. Not that there is anything wrong with thembut we get no major media coverage at all. Especially after the debacle with Rockstar and the end of the Wakeskate tour this year.

Lollar
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakemitch wrote:
Lollar wrote:

Wakeskating needs bigger events to bring in the people but we are stuck with grassroots type events. Not that there is anything wrong with thembut we get no major media coverage at all. Especially after the debacle with Rockstar and the end of the Wakeskate tour this year.

Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skimboarder
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Knoxville/Morristown

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss the golden days of wake skating; everyone's stoke on here was alive and thriving. Everything has changed so much over the past 9-10 years. Most of the people I skated with in this area don't even skate anymore and it looks like a lot of the old companies I used to support are defunct. I'm still riding my 2008 TNT to this day and my 2006 Oak Artificial Heart is safely on the wall <3
stack
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good summary Steve!
senza wake
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: SLC

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive always been confused why the forum part of this webpage, which is the main part, has not been more easily accessible or visible on the main page.
Steven M
2 Legit 2 Quit

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

senza wake, top right corner on the homepage links you to the last 5 topics with post?

I made a post a while back with suggestions to clean up the homepage and give it a cleaner/more modern look without all the clutter.

http://www.wakeskating.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34985&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=homepage&start=40 last few post on this thread.

jazzbox
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Salt Lake City

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there has also been a domino effect for the members on this page. I remember coming on his page last year with a pretty decent crowd responding and commenting on posts. When I looked at what was going when the season started, there was almost nothing. Nothing to really look at and hardly any new posts. Without feedback and a constant communication on these threads, it is deterring to many of the members.

One guess why this website could be "dead"
canalskater
Taco Bell Fa'Lyfe

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The social meteor is why ws.com is going extinct!

Everyone has really nailed the diagnosis here but I'd like to add that I think another reason why we've seen a decrease in activity here is because this place is absolutely full of answers now. We used to preach the crap out of the search button when people would come on here asking questions like "foam or grip?" "fins or no fins" "wood or composite" etc... Over the years the community here has intelligently discussed(flamed each other) many topics that people still have questions about today and now when you google those questions, a lot of the time it will direct you here; to a 2 year old thread that has all the answers you could ever want.

This place is wakeskating's encyclopedia and it still serves a valuable purpose for new comers to the sport as well as old timers such as myself who are thirsty for a little nostalgia from time to time. I wouldn't say that member participation on this site reflects the current state of the sport at all.

The boat industry has almost entirely transformed to accommodate wakesurfing now. Wakeboarding is finding itself in an all too familiar position of having to modify boats that are designed for another sport to suit their needs. Wakeskating will continue to evolve, regardless of how the industry fairs, and one day, another paycheck will come into the picture, and fill the void the boating industry has left, and wakeskating will be more ready than it's ever been to be seen by the masses.

/optimism
bachlonso
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: NFA

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canalskater, quite a perspective! I have to agree, WS.com is the biggest and most entertaining encyclopedia there is and does not necessarily suit as a measure for wakeskating's liveliness. Also your last point rings very true to me - we are in that niche that doesn't need much to have a blast - I see a long and prosper future for Wakeskating.
electricsnow
cassette

City: Jefferton

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted that ted talk link because i thought rodney articulated the determination of a dedicated board rider perfectly. And it's what makes me proud to be a wakeskater, because you really earn your shizzle, especially if you hope for any amount of consistency and an admired style. I think you summed it up great, steven.

This site is still my main connection to wakeskating. I don't ride with anyone local. I've gotten some of my raddest boards and had the best conversations because of this site, or some form of it.

miller
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Regina

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have all explained it.

I personally feel very fortunate to have this website and forum. It was great seeing so many posts that I could barely keep up. Seeing regular posters go on to become pros. Having key people within the industry posting the latest info on released decks and upcoming releases. Meeting so many like minded individuals who are truely passionate about this sport. I wouldn't have any of the decks I have if it wasn't for this site.

Thank you to you all, past and present, for making this site awesome

http://harfangsnowskates.com/
http://www.thrashdad.com/
-=AlexXx=-
Pillage & Plunder

City: yes

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miller wrote:
I think you have all explained it.

I personally feel very fortunate to have this website and forum. It was great seeing so many posts that I could barely keep up. Seeing regular posters go on to become pros. Having key people within the industry posting the latest info on released decks and upcoming releases. Meeting so many like minded individuals who are truely passionate about this sport. I wouldn't have any of the decks I have if it wasn't for this site.

Thank you to you all, past and present, for making this site awesome

Couldn't agree more, but that sounded like the ending to WS.com's funeral Sad
miller
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Regina

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-=AlexXx=-, it certainly wasn't intended to sound
http://harfangsnowskates.com/
http://www.thrashdad.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: