FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Advice on buying a new skate.. Remote??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SFishy
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Winter Park

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Advice on buying a new skate.. Remote?? Reply with quote

I rode a cataylst for the first few years of wakeskating and really liked it. I felt like I had a lot of control behind the boat or ski and could carve well on it. I tried out some wood decks and they felt sorta squirrely to me but maybe I was just used to the catalyst. I had to take a few years off after losing my connect to the lake but just got access back again. Im looking at buying a new board this week cuz Im getting tired of borrowing my friends whenever I go and want to progress on my own equipment. At first, I was really interested in just going back to a catalyst and getting the Model G but after more research I realized it may not be the right deck for me since I basically only ride behind a ski and it looks like the Model G is geared more for wake to wake style riding. I used to be close to sticking basic kickflips and was pretty comfortable with 3 shuvs and some other basic stuff but eventually want to progress with more flats tricks and be able to do some flip tricks. I'm thinkin bout going with a Remote 40.5 now based on everything I've read they are great for flats riding and have awesome pop. I'm 6'0 tall about 175 lbs. Any advice?
GnarShredd
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ride what you like, Remote rocks.
ZackFL(BRE)
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Tampa

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.newwakeskates.com/ Idea

Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into a building.
Jake S
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: SLC

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZackFL(BRE) wrote:
http://www.newwakeskates.com/ Idea

Buying Remote supports riders/shops/photographers/filmers, the people pushing wakeskating. Buying a New does not.

Just a thought.
GOLD!en
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Edwards

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake S, says who??? Hasn't New been a rider owned, rider supported brand since day one? Or am I crazy here...
canalskater
Taco Bell Fa'Lyfe

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOLD!en, they don't have a team, they don't run ads, they don't sponsor events, and just because the owners know how to wakeskate, doesn't mean they are a rider owned and operated.

Support a brand who supports wakeskating, not the one who sells the cheapest boards. Remote, Watermonsters, Southern, Virtue, Integrity, Obscura, Byerly would all be a better choice than New.
senza wake
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting opinions here...
obviously the best purchase would be to buy from a company that is supporting wskating in all of its aspects (photography, film, shops, riders) but i think its ridiculous to be so negative about New wakeskates.
I have a friend who has never bought a wskate but is interested in one. He is a strapper, and there is no way I will be able to get him to buy a Remote from our local shop. But when I told him about New and that it would be 175 for a sick board, shipped, he was quite interested. I feel like putting a little extra money in the pocket of the people that actually manufacture Watermonsters and Southern is a much better plan than just having someone never buy a skate at all because it sounds to expensive for the amount they would use it. I feel like supporting New is a great thing, they are inexpensive, and who knows what might happen from there. If my friend buys one he may just love it so much he may make another purchase in the future, from one of the more progressive companies. Even if he didnt, at least he will have helped keep the factory around that can make more WM and Southern and other sick boards. Hey to me that sounds like a much better plan than was originally mentioned here to buy another Model G. I'd rather help New and indirectly its brother companies than send someone elsewhere...
senza wake
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you look down on not buying from companies that are actively progressing wskating as a whole, shouldnt you also look down on and not participate in the classifieds section of this site? Any used board is not helping any of those companies...
tad
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

senza wake, New does not manufacture WM or Southern boards.

I'll give your friend an old Remote (made by new, haha) for free. Just pay me to ship it.
senza wake
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tad, I am apparently behind the times. Who does construct WM and Southern?
And Im sure he'll jump on that Remote. I'll get right back to you on that soon as I hear from him.
tad
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

senza wake, my memory is telling me John Ruark was making the WM boards, I hope I'm not spreading false information. I know Southern switched manufacturers but I don't know who it is, I just know they have been working on some new stuff and the construction looks unique! I want to try one out.

Let me know about the Remote, the graphic fell off and it probably needs fresh grip, but it's free and perfect for someone looking to learn how to skate.
canalskater
Taco Bell Fa'Lyfe

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

senza wake, even when New was making WM and Southern's boards, buying a New was in no way benefitting any of the companies they manufactured for. In fact, it was directly hurting them because New was putting boards out that were almost identical to their's, basically under cutting their own clients. It's no wonder that New doesn't manufacture for anyone anymore.
RyanJames
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new, actually 2 from John when he was pressing for them not sure if he still is but they were awesome currently riding a watermonster and the shape n stuff is almost the same as one of the new's I bought. But ill support anything wakeskating all day errr day!
ZackFL(BRE)
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A newbie trying to find a good new board does not need to be pushed straight into a super expensive board. They will have plenty of time to support Wakeskating after they fall in love with it. Believe me, I get it, but be real. Rolling Eyes

Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into a building.
southpaw
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

City: Houston, Texas

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFishy wrote:
I rode a cataylst for the first few years of wakeskating and really liked it. I felt like I had a lot of control behind the boat or ski and could carve well on it. I tried out some wood decks and they felt sorta squirrely to me but maybe I was just used to the catalyst. I had to take a few years off after losing my connect to the lake but just got access back again. Im looking at buying a new board this week cuz Im getting tired of borrowing my friends whenever I go and want to progress on my own equipment. At first, I was really interested in just going back to a catalyst and getting the Model G but after more research I realized it may not be the right deck for me since I basically only ride behind a ski and it looks like the Model G is geared more for wake to wake style riding. I used to be close to sticking basic kickflips and was pretty comfortable with 3 shuvs and some other basic stuff but eventually want to progress with more flats tricks and be able to do some flip tricks. I'm thinkin bout going with a Remote 40.5 now based on everything I've read they are great for flats riding and have awesome pop. I'm 6'0 tall about 175 lbs. Any advice?

SFishy,Yes you were used to the catalyst and the first time on a wood deck would feel sorta squirrely, but you sound like you can shred so stick with the wood decks they are the best! A 40.5 Remote sounds sweet and you should pull the trigger you will love it and not look back. The pop is so boosty and the rocker is super smooth. It rotates well on shuv tricks, and for a wood deck it’s a beast and can take a beating if you’re hitting rails.
southpaw
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tad wrote:
I'll give your friend an old Remote (made by new, haha) for free. Just pay me to ship it.

tad, I have a friend who just got into wakeskateing and is looking for a board with no funds right now. He's rode boat twice and cable yesterday and stoked on it. If that offer to senza wake falls through I’ll hop on that deal haha
tad
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

southpaw, Sounds good. Smash
ollie
Faceplant
Faceplant

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 3 years I have bought skates from New and glassed them my self. Best skates in my opinion and I own a Remote (love it for w2w). If you buy shades from the gas station and not Arnette or Dragon are you guilty of the same crime?
RyanJames
Ollie
Ollie

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tad, know of any JR sized skates or anything? trying to get my newphews on one but my WM is too big for them right now
southpaw
Frontside 180
Frontside 180

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tad wrote:
southpaw, Sounds good. Smash

tad, Did you ever send this wakeskate to anyone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> General Wakeskating All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: