FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Engine Maintenance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Winching sponsored by Pulldozer.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GnarShredd
Backside 180
Backside 180

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Engine Maintenance Reply with quote

Tips? Tricks? Anything you make sure and do each season or when you bring it out of hiding?

Specifically asking because my winch has been sitting a while. The engine was new when I got it and used quite a bit but I haven't fired her up in about a year(?) since Daniel left me, that jerk. I imagine I should change out the oil and maybe check out the spark plug, anything beyond that?
Frye

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine needs three things to run: spark, air, and gas.

You've got spark covered. Don't cheap out, use good brands like NGK.

I would clean/change the air filter and make sure there isn't a lot of debris in the intake. That's how the engine breathes.

The gas delivery is the trickiest part but it's not that bad. Open up the gas tank and shine and flashlight in there. You should only see gas. If the gas smells or looks old, watery, or questionable in anyway, get rid of it. The fuel generally goes from the bottom of the gas tank, to a rubber hose, then to the carburetor.

The rubber hose that the fuel travels through sometimes gets old and doesn't allow the gas to flow freely. If you can grab it and it's squishy it would be a good idea to change it. You can get fuel line from pretty much any place that is car related. Sometimes there is an inline fuel filter. It's a strainer that the fuel goes through to keep particles from reaching the carb. If it's dirty it would be a good idea to change it. These are universal and super easy to find as well.

The last part is the carburetor. These are pretty intimidating if you haven't messed with them before. If you've done the above and the winch runs fine I wouldn't worry about it. If you're having issues this is a good guide:

http://www.familyhandyman.com/automotive/small-engine-repair/how-to-repair-small-engines-cleaning-the-carburetor/view-all

GnarShredd
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks. Sounds simple enough. Hopefully will get to work on it this weekend.
GnarShredd
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i got her running again but it's still a little rough. It doesn't really sit at idle without shutting off and it kind of stutters when it is running. I definitely need to switch out the air filter (didn't get a chance to hit the store yesterday), could that solve my issue? Also didn't change out the spark. It looked good but I'm going to pick one up when I get my air filter because I may as well although I don't think it's the problem.

In addition to what you mentioned, I added a little bit of fuel stabilizer with the new gas on recommendation from a friend who knows this kind of stuff.

I'm worried it might be the carb. and am avoiding messing with that until I absolutely have to. I
Frye

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if it idled OK before it sat for a long time?

In order to rule out the air filter take the it out and temporarily run the engine without it. Just make sure to keep the area around the intake clean. A clogged air filter can definitely cause idling issues.

Fuel stabilizer helps only if the gas in the engine is fresh and you plan on letting it sit for awhile. It's never a bad idea though.

GnarShredd
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idle before it sat was definitely better than it is now, but still a little touchy. I'll yank the air filter off and give it another go this afternoon. Thanks for all the help!
Frye

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can adjust a set screw so the engine will idle at a higher RPM. I don't like to do this unless I'm sure the engine needs it. A lot of people do it prematurely and it never fixes the underlying problem.
daniel
Back Big

City: Duncan

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GnarShredd, I miss it daily. I will be making a trip in the next couple months, get that bad boy going.
GnarShredd
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniel, Workin on it man!

Frye, Yeah, i'd rather have it running right again. It was a new engine when I got it and I want to have it back in great condition instead of putting band-aids on it. After messing with it yesterday, I think it's the carb (ran it without the air filter on and it was still doing the same thing). I'm a little nervous about messing with it but I figure I may as well try and learn something.
Frye

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spray some carb cleaner in the air filter and see if it runs any better.

Sorry that is not very clear. Spray carb cleaner in the intake, not on the air filter.

POPTART
360 flip
360 flip

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you made sure you are running new gas?

100%gas?

also what frye said

GnarShredd
Backside 180
Backside 180

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POPTART, Yep. Running the same gas in my lawnmower with no problem.

I'll try the carb cleaner thing next. Should be able to get a new spark this evening too but I don't think that's the issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeskating.com Forum Index -> Winching sponsored by Pulldozer.com All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: